When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Big Pilot 5004's on OEM

elisiX

Hey Guys..

Some new arrivals this week and .. OH MY GOD .. :D :D :D

As you would all know, i've had my Vac built 5004 on HK Tan for some time and its become one of my most favourite watches. HK Tan makes a great strap for about $190 shipped and its done itself proud for the past few months. I had no idea what I was missing out on though.

Well recently I began looking around to source a second hand OEM Black Gator. I almost bought one brand new but one came up on TZ. The strap arrived a few days ago and has completely transformed the watch for me. The rep buckle on the SS 5004 is a little short and bent too much so it feels like I am between holes (HK Tan fit perfect), but the quality cannot be matched or argued - especially for $300 (YES $300!) USD shipped and PP. It's easily in 95% condition.

About the same time as I began looking for this OEM Black Gator, I came across another stunning piece which was doing the SoCal rounds and one i've had my eyes on for some time - the IWC 500402 (White Gold BP). This is perhaps the most stunning watch (Gen or not), that i've ever had in my possession. (yes that's a big call). The WG BP is also on OEM Gator, this time in the Brown.

These pics were taken very quickly this afternoon but you get the idea.

Vac modified IWC 5004 SS on OEM Black Gator

Un-modified IWC 5004 WG on OEM Brown Gator

I didn't keep many of the pictures which showed the difference of the stock factory AR vs Chief's AR, but its pretty bloody obvious. I really want to send this out for Chef to do his magic (and Vac his lume) but I dont know if I could bare to be without it - not just yet anyway. Ill see how I go but the blue is quite strong.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

I have my 5004 on HK Tan and love the strap, but wow those OEMs are nice. The only disappointment with my HKT is the rivets. They don't have that beautiful circular polished finish. It's just kind of stamped metal-looking. The standard rep strap is actually better in that one aspect. I want to try polishing them myself, but I'm afraid I will strip the chrome and see brass or something underneath. Thoughts?

p.s. HK Tan was a pleasure to work with. I had heard of months and months delay for custom straps. The time from spec to delivery for me was just a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...