When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 253 Sapphire Crystal

plaifender

Sorry guys, I've been pretty busy and am just getting back to you guys on the crystal. I originally posted this last week.. but looks like the post was deleted in the fire... Anyway I'm reposting pics of the protoype crystal .. so here's the deal:

The crystal was simple to install .. quality is excellent and the sapphire crystal is twice as clear as mineral. It has nice inner AR.

THE PROBLEM: the prototype is not tall enough, the dome is less pronounced. I have contacted the factory to see if you can correct the problem. If they can't .. then I fear we may be seeing the end of this dream! : (

This just proves Murphy's law. Anyways.. I've contacted the factory and I'm going to try to install it on another PAM253 of a friend of mine here in madrid.. If it's just as short on his watch then it means they didn't get the dimensions right.

Here are some pictures.

Sapphire prototype on right:

IMG_4149.jpg

Sapphire on right.. AR makes a slight difference

IMG_4151.jpg

The crystal's edge needs to be thicker...

IMG_4166-1.jpg

Sapphire on right again:

IMG_4165.jpg

Mineral thickness:

IMG_4170.jpg

Sapphire prototype thickness:

IMG_4169.jpg

Sapphire prototype profile on watch:

IMG_4161.jpg

Mineral profile on watch:

IMG_4171.jpg

prototype installed faceshot:

IMG_4157.jpg

In summary, the prototype should be thicker at the edges. Keep you updated on the issue. Sorry I couldn't be the bearer of better news ... Hopefully it will get resolved :)

Big Crown (myself) and Big E, have been working on this crystal for months. Ours will be ready in 3 weeks. Big-E is collecting pre-orders now.

They will be 1:1 with faint, near colorless AR.

-Crown

Wish you had contacted me ALOT earlier Big... I've been working on this project for a year almost(you'll notice the date on the original post)... an still no good results. Pricepoint is crucial for me.. and first estimates from the first few factories were ridiculous.

This crystal is only a prototype.. getting the egde thickness right and it should be perfect. I guess the race is on to see who gets it first! If my factory can get a better version produced I'm hoping that your crystal project doesn't take away too many interested folks on this thread.... The pricing on my crystal depends directly on how many interested folks we have. If 50% get your crystal, then I'm afraid I'll probably have to abandon my project :(

p.s. your crystal is 1:1 with the gen crystal?

Have you fitted a gen crystal to a 253 yet? If so, which version. My crystal is mae from a mineral sample... an SHOULD have come out 1:1.. but looks like the factory f-ed the prototype edge height.

Not sure that V1 crystals will be candidates. The V2, V3/V4 and new V5(i THINK V5) should be perfect matches for my crystal.. Still haven't had anyone take out a new V5 crystal for me and measure it with calipers....

Edited by plaifender

[quote name='plaifender' timestamp='1295302676'

If my factory can get a better version produced I'm hoping that your crystal project doesn't take away too many interested folks on this thread.... The pricing on my crystal depends directly on how many interested folks we have. If 50% get your crystal, then I'm afraid I'll probably have to abandon my project :(

• 1 year later...

I'm in for 1 too!

1. Valerian

2. petem (2 crystals)

3. BigE

4. Chudd

5. Paulw

6. Repwatch

7. Bosk

8. Nakortheblue

9. Rickhic

10. Z3k0 (2 crystals)

11. panerisiti(2)

12. jcrry (2 or 3 crystals)

13. Pabler

14. Lanikai (2 or more crystals)

15. Sidedish

16. cbd21(2)

17. Slan93

18. Cchrono

19. Deniz21

20. Bynico92

21. Ewing

22. Kioske

23. Jimmynugent

24. Fishgodeep(2 crystals)

25. Suzuki

26. Cdigi

27. Mann

28. Colorao

29. Fitipaldi

30. opcrown

31. btocamelo

32. PrDubis

33. Yousif1980

34. Psycho

35. Rytox

36. Maars

37. burrppp

38. 4fun

39. goin6633

40. Maxman

41. Tallah

42. Whacky

43. Notsobreit

44. EMM

45.ironpumper

46. lasync

47. j4jure

48. Bigmarcelo

49. malfa

50. r_squared (2 x crystals)

51. toddy2

52. kuli

53. cskent69

54. 4000ft

55. -=MarK=- [2 x crystals 253]

56. Jkarpas

57. Nix

58. Hongkytonkman

59. deja (x2)

60. MD.NG

Edited by MD.NG

oops.. Thread update... This project has fallen through! :( (about 9 months ago officially). Factory was not trustworthy and could not return my sample crystal that was supplied to create the prototype.

Someone said that Taka was planning on fabricating a sapphire version of this crystal... I'll probably just go that route if that's true.

I hope someone pulls though! I've wanted a 212 sapphire since the new batch came out last year. So far there has been multiple attempts but no one has been able to pull it off :(

I heard a rumor that taka might make one too, dont remember who wrote that. Maybe if we're lucky some one like Noob will release a model with a domed sapphire that I can cannibalize.

Big E and BigCrown (i think that's who was heading up a simultaneous project when mine was in the works), gave an explanation of the difference between making domed sapphire and domed mineral crystal, and the fabrication process is drastically different. The know how should definitely be there.. but I think the factories would have to find it economically viable to create. At this point I guess there's not enough buzz on the forums about this issue.... If there were, I there were, I think we'd have seen one at least 3-5 years when these regattas started gaining popularity. To be honest.. i think they just like making us wait..