When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Finally getting my PT 1665 back together

alligoat

Well, I've finally got my Puretime 1665 GWSD back together. I started with this

P1000258-1-2.jpg

6 and 9 markers are too narrow and the cg's need a trim. I got an MBW GWSD dial from avitt, installed an aftermarket tube and gen crown- mainly because I boogered up the case tube trying to get it out so that I could trim the crown guards

P1000261-1.jpg

busted my rat tail file in the process- that tube must have been glued in there well!

I also put a new T-39 on- it's a G&S PA462-67A that I had bought from Ofrei 4 years ago. Had a set of white hands laying around so I put it all back her last night

P1000285.jpg

Here it is next to my gen 1680 for a comparison shot. I'm going to have to work on the cg's a little, improve the inside angle and possibly try to thin up the outside (yuck).

The crystal is a superdome, but it fit the best. I'd struck out trying to get a flat crystal form wholesaleoutlet990- he sent me what I figure is a T-12 which had an OD of 29.12mm- way too small for a 1665 which should be in the 30.3mm -30.5mm range. Three emails later he finally responded that he'll take it back and give me credit- gee, thanks Mr. Slimeball, BTW, quit selling stuff if it's wrong!

P1000287.jpg

I'd wanted to use a Sternkruz T-19 since it had a lower profile, but OD on it was slightly larger than the T-39.

While looking thru Skeet and Urul today, I noticed that the caseback on this sub is correct for a DRSD

P1000288.jpg

but maybe less so for a GWSD, here's a gen caseback from a GWSD...

IMG_340311.jpg

I also noticed that the crystal on the PT 1665 is not too bad for a later model GWSD- here's the same gen w/ a profile shot

IMG_33941.jpg

All in all, I'm very happy with the way this watch turned out. A DRSD is just a little too rich for my blood, so I feel the GWSD is a good compromise. And the MBW dial is a great upgrade. The 2846-2 is keeping good time, and looks gen to me. It's a great mid-range rep for the price.

P1000285.jpg

The crystal is a superdome, but it fit the best. I'd struck out trying to get a flat crystal form wholesaleoutlet990- he sent me what I figure is a T-12 which had an OD of 29.12mm- way too small for a 1665 which should be in the 30.3mm -30.5mm range. Three emails later he finally responded that he'll take it back and give me credit- gee, thanks Mr. Slimeball, BTW, quit selling stuff if it's wrong!

If Mr. Slimeball quit ripping people off, he would not be Mr. Slimeball & we can't have that now, can we? :whistling:

The 'new' watch looks great, Alli. Nice color match. :good:

Hey alli, is that side profile picture (4th pic down) your PT with the Ofrei crystal you installed? Just curious?

Yes.

@ freddy, the hands are slightly whiter, but the MBW dial is sure nice, overall it's a definite improvement over the PT dial and hands- that yellow just doesn't do it for me.

What did you do about the nylon gasket/tension ring issue? I still haven't come up with a workable solution. Having said that, it's academic really as I managed to screw up the keyless works on mine while changing the crown (never mod a watch with a hangover) so it's off to our very own Domenico for a bit of love and attention.

What did you do about the nylon gasket/tension ring issue? I still haven't come up with a workable solution. Having said that, it's academic really as I managed to screw up the keyless works on mine while changing the crown (never mod a watch with a hangover) so it's off to our very own Domenico for a bit of love and attention.

JMB made me a new tension ring with the correct ID so that I was able to press it on over the T-39. Then the bezel assembly snapped on. I kept the PT insert- the pearl is slightly yellow, but not bad, IMO. This is the first decent 5513 insert we've seen. You can build a good one with the PMWF insert and an Ofrei pearl, but that'll run you $90+.

Thanks Chi, I've still got a little work to do, but I'm pleased with the watch, especially at this price. And I didn't have to drill the lugholes, source a correct slower beat 2846 or install a correct datewheel. It's all come together for around $350 and that's what I wanted. I certainly didn't want a franken ($2K-3K), or an MBW for $700-900 (with mods). It's an economical dependable beater- just the kind of watch I love most.

does the datewheel not line up correctly with the MBK dial or is it the angle in photos?

Good question. The dial that I got from avitt had the eta ring already glued to it and no dial feet. No big deal, remove the other dial and ring and glue the new dial and ring on to the movement. I aligned it with the 6, which was the date on the movement at that point. Most dates appear fine, but a few are a little high- like this 27. I may have gotten the window a hair low, or it may be in the datewheel itself- I've seen that in cubic-works DW's and of course the noob has the 21 which is too close to the left side of the window. I'm going to watch it for the next week or so and see some other dates to check it out.

I'll be uncasing the movement to remove some specks of dust on the crystal and on the dial and to trim the cg's some more, so I'll take a look at it then also.

JMB did save me on the new retention ring. Don't know if I could have found one anywhere else or not, short of buying an MBW case from ETZ and using that bezel assembly.

Thanks coolfire, B-T and gpl for your kind comments.

Thanks flex. Unfortunately the end pieces are 580's, not exactly right for a GW, maybe more OK on an early DRSD, but the 580's don't bother me. Didn't someone have rep 585's awhile ago- hope it wasn't WSO990?

RS, I don't have anything larger of the pearl. It's an ok pearl, not the greatest- the gen pearl on the 1680 (lumi) is better defined. The PT pearl is slightly lopsided and not as well defined. I guess I could try an Ofrei pearl, but it really doesn't bother me that much.

P1000285-2-1.jpg

LOL, I'm off to the watchmaker. The watch stopped at the gym this morning, so I opened it up when I got home and noticed that a gear had no screw in it- must be in the movement somewhere! Not something I'm going to tear into!

I just received my PT 1665 GWSD and man was I disappointed... It had scratches on the bracelet, came with only 1 2mm solid springbar, and TO TOP IT OFF came with a 2836-2 movement that I'm not sure is even a swiss eta, I think it's a clone, but I wouldn't be able to tell. I can't believe this :black_eye: I have an email into Angus to see how we can resolve this... we'll see

The pearl isn't that big an issue for me. It's not a gen pearl, it's not probably even an Ofrei pearl in terms of quality, but it's decent. This pearl on my WM 1680 is the original pearl and insert from my gen white 1680 (1978)- it's nothing to get excited about!

P1000290-1.jpg

I've seen lots of these original tritium pearls on old watches- all ugly as caca.

My pearl on my GWSD is exactly like geyper man's pearl- thanks for the pics geyper.

• 4 years later...