When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review: SOSF

dovo1695

@ Jaigo,

Fair enough...

I might have gotten carried away a bit with the details. Here's the cliff notes version with all the extraneous junk in the middle removed... :D

Breitling Super Ocean Steelfish X-Plus

Replica Swiss vs. Replica Asian

img1485z.jpg

Executive Summary: I suggest that you heed Bytor’s recent advice that if you want a genuine super-rep you’d best go to Precious-Time.

Conclusion: Since Bytor says that Precious Time still has such a watch, I suggest that you get one while they’re still available!

Seriously though, Precious Time still has the best SOSF. Wish I had gone there myself. Good luck and welcome to the forum! Be sure to post pics when you get it. :good:

Dovo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got an update from Silix. He has informed me that they have switched suppliers for the SOSF due to quality problems. He's also offered to replace the Swiss version I have with one of the new ones. In my case, I bought the Swiss one for a friend and don't have time for the multi-week turnaround that an exchange will require.

He sent along some pics of the new version of the SOSF that they're now selling. I couldn't see enough from the pics he sent to be sure that they've corrected all of the issues. The SOSF in the photo he sent looks a lot like the watch in the pictures that Woody posted. It has the bad second, minute, and hour hands but an improved crown guard. The AR looks like it's been improved as well.

Woody, this may mean that you'll be among the first to receive the next generation of Silix SOSF's. I for one would be very keen to see some pics of your new watch that migh shed some light on whether or not the major issues have been resolved (Crown Guards, Case Width, and Double AR). When do you expect the watch?

-Dovo

So you're gonna keep the crappy one because it's for a friend? I'd give the friend the asian one... and send the swiss baack for the corrected version..... :whistling:

LOL :thumbsupsmileyanim: . I'm sending the Asian version to my friend because it's the better of the two. I'm sending the defective Swiss one back to Silix.

LOL :thumbsupsmileyanim: . I'm sending the Asian version to my friend because it's the better of the two. I'm sending the defective Swiss one back to Silix.

ohhh! good. I'm glad silix was able to get it corrected for you... the only thing that sucks is the damn turn around time.. but in the end it will prove to be worth it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I just got an update from Silix. He has informed me that they have switched suppliers for the SOSF due to quality problems. He's also offered to replace the Swiss version I have with one of the new ones. In my case, I bought the Swiss one for a friend and don't have time for the multi-week turnaround that an exchange will require.

He sent along some pics of the new version of the SOSF that they're now selling. I couldn't see enough from the pics he sent to be sure that they've corrected all of the issues. The SOSF in the photo he sent looks a lot like the watch in the pictures that Woody posted. It has the bad second, minute, and hour hands but an improved crown guard. The AR looks like it's been improved as well.

Woody, this may mean that you'll be among the first to receive the next generation of Silix SOSF's. I for one would be very keen to see some pics of your new watch that migh shed some light on whether or not the major issues have been resolved (Crown Guards, Case Width, and Double AR). When do you expect the watch?

-Dovo

Hey Dovo,

no, I did not want to take the chance. I sent an email to Silix about my concerns, and how I was afraid that if I receive it and discover all these flaws, then it would be pain for all parties involved. I asked Silix if he can refund the money, and he gladly did so without hesitation. Just for that nice customer service, I have posted a review for silix praising them. I had since sourced the SFSO from another collector. that itself is another story. but this other SFSO that I ordered last night, it has been processed at this time, so I am hoping for a safe journey. Will post more news and thoughts on this later.

but, I did have to pay a lot more for this other SFSO, let's just put it that way.....lol

here are the pictures that were sent to me. I think there's a big difference between the swiss version of silix, versus the josh/angus/andrew version. I am going to email silix and see if I can get a refund and start over the search for my ultimate SFSO.

bres048.th.jpg

bres0482.th.jpg

This one look closer to my T4D version (although mine has the arrow seconds hand) and may be the same factory. The font on the numbers and the flat greenish lume. The green lume looks completely off to me and ruins the looks especially with the blue dial. Mine is missing serial number and bezel B stamp but I think those are QA issues. It has me looking for another version so I would pass on this new version from Silix.

17sosf2836.jpg

@Hammy: The markers on that watch don't look bad to me at all. Maybe the lume dots are just "charged" in the photo. All rep SOSF lume dots are greenish (save the very first batches). But then again those were applied terribly.

That SOSF is actually pretty nice besides the completely lacking dial texture. But that's nothing new with blue dial version.

There seem to be so many versions of this out there. Is this the "ultimate" version that Josh has? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on this one...

http://www.perfect-hour.com/bl02002-superocean-steelfish-white-swiss-28362-p-2599.html

Also, I've seen conflicting opinions on the white dial. Is it too pure white and off from the gen? I love the white/cream dial but how off is it from the gen?

@Hammy: The markers on that watch don't look bad to me at all. Maybe the lume dots are just "charged" in the photo. All rep SOSF lume dots are greenish (save the very first batches). But then again those were applied terribly.

That SOSF is actually pretty nice besides the completely lacking dial texture. But that's nothing new with blue dial version.

Thanks. If it weren't for all the pics of other versions (including your most beautiful gen), I would think this is a nice watch. :bangin: There are others with lume that doesn't look as greenish as this one. BTW, it's not my pic but one out of Robert's ad (my camera skills aren't up to yours either) and the dial has some texture but not shown in the pic. Anyway, it's better than some and not as good as others but still pretty nice for my first rep. Especially after I put a well used but gen rubber strap on it. It's the perfect knock around sports watch to go with jeans on casual Fridays. We'll see what happens after my 3717 arrives though.

I love the white/cream dial but how off is it from the gen?

It's not as different as blue but quite different in the flesh, really.

Gen is creamy as you said. Unfortunately the rep is pure white.

Here's white gen. Beautiful watch.

s4usrp.jpg

But then again, Fish is not like Omega Moon Watch or Rolex Submariner. Not as common. So go with the dial color you like the best. White and blue reps are nice. Black is simply the most accurate.

well guys, my swiss fish has arrived. after I canceled my order from silix. I was going to place an order with angus. he told me the factory are out of stock and will not get the order filled in a month. I then took a shot at josh, and asked him if he has sfso in stock. josh told me he did, and the rest was history. I placed my very first order with josh. I ordered the watch on 3/4, and 2 hours later, I received a tracking number. got the watch picked up yesterday, and here is the pic:

dscf0468.jpg

I think this version is closer to the asian version of dovo, with slightly more correct datefont than bt's black dial. mine did not markers also did not look as sticking out as bytor's also. I hope the picture is able to illustrate that. I guess I would say that josh's swiss version is pretty good. what do you guys think?

the AR is pretty good, I would say better than my ultimate BCE. but BCE's crystal is more curved, so perhaps they are the same, and the lume is better than typical rep. I think that perhaps I might not even have to send it to Canada.

I guess I would say that josh's swiss version is pretty good. what do you guys think?

From what I can see it looks like a really nice piece! Good crown guards and the SEL's look way better than most. If the AR is as good as you say I will officially be jealous. :good:

Congrats,

Dovo

That's a great example Woody, congrats! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

so this is a pretty good version BT? I'd like to think so, but need to get your confirmation! :victory:

From what I can see it looks like a really nice piece! Good crown guards and the SEL's look way better than most. If the AR is as good as you say I will officially be jealous. :good:

Congrats,

Dovo

yes dovo, the ar is quite good, with not over the top blue hues. it is no chief AR, then again what is? even the gen AR is not as nice as chief's in my opinion. I'm kind of curious as to what silix's swiss fish's AR would look like. I will try to take a front straight on shot for you dovo, like you did with the comparo.....