When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats wrong with some common sense and courtesy!

Migge

So,

Recently I have sold of some stuff here on the Fora to fund projects I am working on.

And selling stuff is not easy as you know.

I do try to accommodate everyones wishes, also I try to sell to the ones who contacted me first showing interest. It seems fair to start with the one asking first then moving down to the second and so on

Indeed, nothing as disappointing as people without the common courtessy to just say 'thank you' for things like that, it just shows a real lack of regard and bad manners, sadly, it's an all too common scenario now :(

Indeed... I've run into myself a few times, myself. Please and thanks go a long way with me... But it seems as though the practice of such formalty is almost a lost art in and of itself... And not just on discussion forums. I've noticed it in the workplace, and even just in every day life...

I don't know if people were raised to disregard manners, but my parents and grandparents always instilled the importance of this kind of etiquette; I will be sure my kids understand the importance as well...

The forums have been very frustrating lately. Too many scams. Too many problems. Too much rudeness. And I agree, when someone asks you to go out of your way for them, they should at least have the common courtesy of saying thank you.

I almost dread the thought of trying to sell a watch anymore. I mean, come on, we're selling used replicas, not showroom fresh gens. Yet that's what people seem to expect. And yes, the majority of the probles seem to be caused by noobs.

In the last couple of weeks I've been starting my own little "Do not deal with" list.

I have experienced the same disrespect when selling a watch. Now I place conditions on a sale to allow me to make the decision as to who I will sell to, No more first to post "I'll take it" any more. Too bad it has come to this.

Certainly one of my pet peaves, and the reason many get on my blocked list...if you are rude, can't even say "Thanks" or think I am willing to teach you or your watchmaker how to fix a watch, well you're not my kind of people.

My favorites are among the following, I get this all the time...

My watchmaker is working on my V72 powered daytona and is having problems installing the movement and securing it to the case, can you provide some insight on how he can do this (along with a full pictures because my watchmaker doesn't speak very good english), I am asking you because I know you have done this mod before...

Or how about these ones:

My watchmaker is running into problems with my A7750 overhaul, can you tell me in detail (with pictures if you can) what are the problem area's and how to correct them so I can pass it along to my watchmaker and he can fix my movement...

I am just learning how to service my own watches and need some guidance, can you tell me how to service a 2836-2, I have a set of screwdrivers and am ready to go, and since I have no experience, I would like you to provide a detailed step by step guide on the complete overhaul process, with pictures of course...thanks - I love your forum contributions...

And of course the normal favorites, PM asking for advice, information, price, whatever, information provided, and nothing, nada, no reply at all, if you don't like the price, advice or reply, at least tell me to screw off...

So the blocked list keeps growing, and will continue to do so as long as there are folks like these around.

No wonder I take so many breaks from this place, gone again starting tomorrow...

There, I feel much better :)

I am just learning how to service my own watches and need some guidance, can you tell me how to service a 2836-2, I have a set of screwdrivers and am ready to go, and since I have no experience, I would like you to provide a detailed step by step guide on the complete overhaul process, with pictures of course...thanks - I love your forum contributions...

That one is by far my favorite!!! :rofl: I love the ending bit. They at least thanked you for your contributions to the forum (as if that was going to sway you)

@Migge - sorry you have had to deal with this sort of thing. I have been pretty lucky thus far with my sales dealings, but it does look like there have been some nightmare deals going on lately. :thumbdown: As Lani keeps stating, know your seller I guess and for the sellers, it's easy enough to ignore the ignorant :D

Indeed... I've run into myself a few times, myself. Please and thanks go a long way with me... But it seems as though the practice of such formalty is almost a lost art in and of itself... And not just on discussion forums. I've noticed it in the workplace, and even just in every day life...

"Where People Gather, Life Happens"

Unfortunately manners skipped the current generation...

Guys, I'm only a noob among you and I very much agree that a little courtesy goes a long way. I have also experienced this kind of situation here on the boards and it bugged me.

But Zigmaster's consequence makes me quite sad although reading those stupid quotes I can understand it in a way.

Please don't forget: The more of you guys move on because of rudeness and lack of culture the worse the place gets! It's up to us (and most of all you old timers we noobs can look up to) to keep the place civil by keeping the friendliness.

So pls. don't go away. Rather stay and speak up if you feel it's necessary. Like Migge does. The rude people will go away after they get what they crave (it's a sub anyway :)) The good people stay for they realize this is a great place!

Just my dos centavos. Fire away.

Val.

I make a lot of the same observations in everyday life about the decline of common courtesies and think, to a large extent in my case, that it has to do with living in an increasingly multi-cultural environment. And, let me tell you, I'd give up all common courtesies if I could just get all co-workers to always wash their hands before exiting the restroom!!!

:rofl:

But then again I've had about 100 back and forth transactions with other RWG members... I have bought gens from RWG members... and many reps. All of these transactions have been PERFECT. Many great members have helped me and sent me parts, helped me to source watches, etc.

Every day I get PM's from well-mannered great folks. I would still say that this kind of people are in the minority.

LOL, Zigmeister!

Im just glad and dont have to handle things like this on a daily basis!!

I do believe there are as many "scamming" buyers, if not more, then there are sellers..

On a side note, the funds from my sales have partially been put into this...

POproject.jpg

Big thanks to Ubi for mentoring and Dluddy who sent me a new SS bracelet for this... FOR FREE!! With the only obligation to "Pay it forward"

The greatness and generosity by a few by far exceeds what anyone could ever expect!

Cheers

Mike

But then again I've had about 100 back and forth transactions with other RWG members... I have bought gens from RWG members... and many reps. All of these transactions have been PERFECT. Many great members have helped me and sent me parts, helped me to source watches, etc.

Every day I get PM's from well-mannered great folks. I would still say that this kind of people are in the minority.

Completely agree. I have had the same overall experience.

whenever i deal with online forum transactions I always like to use a middle man, kinda like someone who can vouch for me and someone on there end who can vouch for them, if none is available i proceed with the utmost of caution. But here I'm new so if I ever needed to sell something (don't like name dropping but here we go) I would probably get Toad to vouch for me since to my best understanding we live pretty close to eachother, ect ect you get my point, forum etiquette is definately something of the past but tbh this forum has the nicest people i've ever met.

whenever i deal with online forum transactions I always like to use a middle man, kinda like someone who can vouch for me and someone on there end who can vouch for them, if none is available i proceed with the utmost of caution. But here I'm new so if I ever needed to sell something (don't like name dropping but here we go) I would probably get Toad to vouch for me since to my best understanding we live pretty close to eachother, ect ect you get my point, forum etiquette is definately something of the past but tbh this forum has the nicest people i've ever met.

Now that is nice to hear,

Completely agree. I have had the same overall experience.

werd7307579.gif

Mike I hear ya about common sense and courtesy... i recently had a similar experience, but on the other side of the spectrum... I'll explain as I think it goes well with this thread....

There are several watches I have been looking for. Last week a member PM's me and says he has one of the watches I want. Now this member is NOT a noob, if fact, I know he has made some great contributions to this forum and is a regular poster. So I get a price quoted north of $575.00 USD. I tell them that is a little more than I was looking to spend, but send me a few pictures (how many people would not want to see pictures when you are possibly going to spend well over $500.00 on a rep?!?!?). So a few days go by and a get no response. Thinking that maybe they did not get the PM, I send a separate PM letting them know I will be away for a few days but please send me a few photos. Again no response. A few days later I see the watch up for sale in the Sales Section for $170.00 LESS then what I was quoted and by the time I saw it it was already sold!!!

Please keep in mind although I am not as well versed as By-Tor, The Zigmeister, TT and some of the other senior members, I am by no means a noob. I have been a member of RWG for almost 4 years and have supported the site via upgraded memberships for most of that time. I have also donated to RWG outside of my membership when the forum was hurting for money. Now don't get me wrong, I am not complaining that the watch was sold for $170.00 less then what I was quoted... I understand that everyone has the right to sell their watch to whomever they want and ask whatever price they want. What bugs me is that all I asked for was a few photos (nothing specific) that would be required to sell the watch anyway in the Sales Section, but because I did not get a response I missed out on a great piece :( Had they just sent the photos I am sure we could have worked out a price between what I was quoted and what it went for in the Sales Section.

I understand people's issues when it comes to selling watches (esp to noobs - I have sold over a dozen of mine on this forum and have had to deal with the zillions of questions, and requests for this and that) but I do think there needs to be more of a balance with buyer and seller. Had I just gotten a reply that said "Here are the pics and I can offer to you at price X. If I don't hear from you in 24 hours I am going to post in on the Sales Section" I would have bought it... all it would have taken was a courteous reply :)

BUT stuff happens :rolleyes: ... I hold no ill-will to this member, and I hope they understand that. If this is the worst thing that happens to me this weekend I will consider myself a lucky man!!!

I feel much better now

Have a great weekend RWG!!!