When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paul Newman on the bay

gplracer

It looks like a mishmash of parts, most notably the case marked '6036'. (Seriously, who would even consider ripping up a Datocompax and turning it into a bad Daytona franken?) What I find very odd is how the lugholes are only present on the side opposite the crown. I know there were older Rolexes that had this configuration, but Daytonas?

The crystal looks OK, though! :p

It's amazing that something that's so far off fetches $9500 in an auction!

Interesting about the 6036 case with lugholes on only one side- never seen that.

Movement is all wrong.

And a 7mm crown... with old pushers.

How the heck do you fit a 93150 bracelet and 593 end piece(20mm) on a 19 mm case- I guess file down the ends.

Amazing what unscrupulous people will sell and idiots will buy!

• 2 weeks later...

I reported it this time. This seller must not know much about Rolex chronographs if he/she thinks it's legit!

Do you know Rolex chronographs better than him ? do you have books? references? pics? blue prints/specs ? :g:

feed us with documents, pics, develop what you think ;)

Certainly do- there's the Daytona Bible- "Rolex Daytona- a legend is born".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000P9PB0K/ref=dp_otherviews_0?ie=UTF8&s=books&img=0

51YYwebHLQL_SS400_1.jpg

This book takes you from the Pre-Daytona 6238 thru to the 16520's.

And looking at the watch on the bay, as LHOOQ aptly pointed out, the case is a 6036. The 6036 was an early triple date chrono powered by a Rolex modified Valjoux 72C. This watch has a 6036 case, but it's not a triple date. In fact, the movement isn't even a Rolex movement- it's a V72B that was taken out of another watch and a Rolex bridge (referred to as the chrono bridge) was installed. The balance is wrong, gears are wrong- it's just not a Rolex modified movement- no 'Fabr. Swiss- Swiss Made' on the train bridge. Dial is a Paul Newman dial made for a gold Rolex like a 6263, chrono seconds hand is wrong (as are the minute and hour hands), pushers are correct for a 6036, but the 7mm crown is all WRONG! Bracelet is a 93150- correct for a submariner, end pieces- a 593 is a 20mm end piece for a 16800 sub- must have been filed down to fit the 19mm lugs on the old 6036 case.

This watch is a perfect example of a FRANKEN- a watch put together from various parts. Unfortunately it's a poor franken- the parts don't even match to make up a correct watch- it's not a 6036, a 6239 or a 6263- it's nothing.

I hope this all made sense to you, Rolexaddict. I just thought of another thing- the case isn't even legit! A 6036 case would have a couple of small pusher buttons on the 8-10 o'clock side of the case for adjusting the date and month- those are missing. All in all it's a very poorly done franken!

Certainly do- there's the Daytona Bible- "Rolex Daytona- a legend is born".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000P9PB0K/ref=dp_otherviews_0?ie=UTF8&s=books&img=0

51YYwebHLQL_SS400_1.jpg

This book takes you from the Pre-Daytona 6238 thru to the 16520's.

And looking at the watch on the bay, as LHOOQ aptly pointed out, the case is a 6036. The 6036 was an early triple date chrono powered by a Rolex modified Valjoux 72C. This watch has a 6036 case, but it's not a triple date. In fact, the movement isn't even a Rolex movement- it's a V72B that was taken out of another watch and a Rolex bridge (referred to as the chrono bridge) was installed. The balance is wrong, gears are wrong- it's just not a Rolex modified movement- no 'Fabr. Swiss- Swiss Made' on the train bridge. Dial is a Paul Newman dial made for a gold Rolex like a 6263, chrono seconds hand is wrong (as are the minute and hour hands), pushers are correct for a 6036, but the 7mm crown is all WRONG! Bracelet is a 93150- correct for a submariner, end pieces- a 593 is a 20mm end piece for a 16800 sub- must have been filed down to fit the 19mm lugs on the old 6036 case.

This watch is a perfect example of a FRANKEN- a watch put together from various parts. Unfortunately it's a poor franken- the parts don't even match to make up a correct watch- it's not a 6036, a 6239 or a 6263- it's nothing.

I hope this all made sense to you, Rolexaddict. I just thought of another thing- the case isn't even legit! A 6036 case would have a couple of small pusher buttons on the 8-10 o'clock side of the case for adjusting the date and month- those are missing. All in all it's a very poorly done franken!

Scoreboard.

Sometimes it is just best to be a sponge and absorb.

I certainly don't profess to be an expert on Rolex watches, especially Daytonas, but I can certainly tell you, before I bid 9500.00 UDS on a Daytona, or any other watch, I'm going to do a whole lot of reading and researching to establish the authenticity of the watch.Too easy to post a photo or two or provide a link so that the guys who really know what they are looking at can pass judgement.

Second isn't the cardinal rule "buy the seller then the watch"? Look at what this guy sells. He is the prototypical flea market Ebay seller. Silicone phone cases, slap chops, furminator dog brushes, and loads other cheap junk. And right in the middle of all this is a Rolex "Paul Newman" Daytona. Come on, if that doesn't send the red flags up the mast, nothing will.You would be hard pressed to even call this thing a franken. It would be interesting to see the other side of the case where the day date pushers reside. Ebay won't fool with him, beccause he is a volume seller and those guys appear to be sacred. Don't kill the goose that layed the golden egg, even if the egg is cheap gold plate.

Is the dial genuine? And if so, isn't the auction price quite a bargain? Or are the gold case dials just not valued highly?

Good point, chief. I don't know if the dial is gen or not. I always look at the '3' in 30 on the 3 o'clock subdial- where the bottom tail on the 3 comes out more than the top tail- but I can't tell in this case. But you're right- that's where all the value is in this watch if the dial is gen.

Freddy is the Daytona dial expert!

Is the dial genuine? And if so, isn't the auction price quite a bargain? Or are the gold case dials just not valued highly?

Based on the relatively small, unclear pics provided by the seller, it is impossible to say whether the dial is gen or not. But, from what I can see (not to mention the seller's overall murky presentation), there is nothing about the dial that strikes me as anything other than aftermarket.