When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Doxa 300T Pro US Divers arrived

lanikai

After almost 3 weeks of waiting, should of been here in 1 week .. the parcel must of been delayed due to the weather .. from Virgina, came my much sought after US divers logo Doxa 300T Pro

thanks again for Marty for posting the FS on TZ here.. I check the gen sales threads daily but I may have been too late..

I spend yesterday refinishing the bezel and toning down the scratches on the crystal.. I think I'll leave the crystal as is.. adds character to the piece.. imo..

here is a pic by the previous owner.. I'll take more pics after I'm done giving it a little TLC

38660241.jpg

it's keeping great time.. maybe sooner or later it will make it's way up North , but for now .. it is on my wrist :D

AC/Lani

congrats!! There are just some days when this watch is perfect to put on...What did you use for the bezel? I've heard everything from crayons to acrylic paint..Yours looks great..I'm so confused about the lum,,part of me says leave it.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks you DL and Chris

the lume on the dial will be left alone.. the black (india ink) I used on the pearl may be stripped to bare metal since it is lumed.. I'll leave everything as is on the dial.. except, removal of the loose lume that detached from the hour hand, I like the historical look of the wear, so I decided not to do a thing with the crystal.. I did take a dremel to it for some time just to dull the scratches down a bit.. but it matches the over all look just to leave it be me thinks.

for the bezel the black was done with a permanent marker and the excess wiped away with my thumb before it dried.. same with the orange .. I used acrylic paint for the orange, and a fine brush.. blotted the numerals and then swiped my finger over the numeral .. I also use a toothpick.. I just ran the toothpick horizontally over the numeral with some paint on i.. wipe you finger over it, the paint in the recessed area stay's put and the excess paint just wipes right off.

with the marker and the paint just dab the numeral or ticks and wipe over it with a napkin or finger.. easy.. as the recessed area hold the ink and paint.. I had to do it several times since the bezel is worn down so the depth of the recess is not as much as a bezel in better condition..

Here's a pic of the bezel from 'Da book'

whist removing the black colour from the bezel.. a very nice surprise took place.. apparently someone coloured the marker to either match the silver in the rest of the bezel.. or whatever..but taking a toothpick that was soaked in water to shred the tip.. it turned out the old lume was hidden under some previous paint..

Pic of the original colour

ausdivers019.jpg

ausdivers023.jpg

ausdivers022.jpg

A nice surprise.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

We all know Delta's taste is confined solely to his mouth... :animal_rooster: That being said, I still vote for a black "lume" dot on the inner ring.

The only Doxa I've ever seen, here or "over there," with lume in that dot is a SUB 600 Spirotechnique. :thumbdown:

I know the certification manual for the "dive watch specification" requires the ability to time a dive in complete darkness, and that demands a glowing lume dot on the bezel. But face it, these watches were made when men were men and sheep were scared. Lume dots? We don't need no stinking lume dots! :yeah:

So I say leave it black, and yer Uncle Doxa in Alaska will bear the "black dot" standard with you.

As delivered from the factory, with "minor wear"

a1.jpg

Ah, my young and impressionable Delta ... such an innocent youth, a beardless man-child still wet behind the ears. Some day you'll understand that the best things in life are well aged.

*Cough* You'll notice I said well aged. Some things are just old. Like your girlfriend. :whistling:

uma.jpg

It'll go back to black if that is what the Doxa Jedi advises.. but what about the pic in "da book" ??

Dang, Lani ... I went and Googled up a bunch of photos of Doxas and it seems many of them DO have lume in that dot. All the old ones I've been investigating have been black.

See what happens when you take Deltatahoe's advice? Pain, confusion, destruction, paint wildly misapplied... will the horror never end?

It seems the really old pieces are all black, and that's likely because (like yours) the bezels have been repainted many times. Certainly you can put lume in there, and it's possible they came from the factory thus endowed. But to my eye the black spot looks "correct." :pardon:

Imagine a DRSD with a shiny new green pearl in the insert, vs. a gnarly old speckled pearl. There's your answer.

Apparently the previous owner or owners were miffed by the colour too.. I received it looking like this

38660241.jpg

But this exist under the black paint

ausdivers022.jpg

And this is a pic of the bezel from Dr. Pete's book

ausdivers019.jpg

So go figure.. I suppose with Doxa there could have been variations along the way and watches sent to the service center etc.

either way .. it is still nestled nicely upon ma wrist :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanks for getting us back on topic lani -- i apologize for nanuq's detestable behavior.

in all seriousness, from your picture i feel like that lume looks factory applied (or if not by the factory, perhaps by ziggy?!). if it were me (and i wish it were), i'd keep the lume and leave the black dot to the crazy alaskan...

deltatahoe