When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Underwhelmed with the IWC 3717 as shipped

mactower

Hey Folks,

I just received a cartel IWC 3717 and even though I expected to make a few modifications, I have to say I'm pretty underwhelmed with the overall quality. Given the crystal needs to be swapped, the day and date wheels have to go, the following are other issues I've found with this watch:

1. I found the lume is pretty bad, both in application and in overall quality

2. The crown doesn't seem to screw in evenly each time, has a gritty feel to it

3. The chrono pushers are very sticky and don't feel anything close to what a gen would (this will have to be addressed with servicing)

4. The bracelet feels pretty cheap, not nearly as detailed as the gen, not very shiny, the clasp is terrible and flimsy, the locking mechanism is a bit of a joke, the IWC engraving is terrible on the clasp, very sharp edges.

5. The dial markers at 3, 6, 9 and 12 are all uneven (will have to be fixed)

So, to make this look great I will have to toss the bracelet for a quality strap, swap the crystal, datewheel, get the hands stripped, repainted and lumed, get the dial redone and lumed, and get the movement serviced.

In summary, I suppose my point is that this is NOT as good of a rep "out of the box" as many other reps.

M.

Oh, one other quick note. I inquired about a V1 faceplate after looking at the 3717 closely and was told to bugger-off, that the V3 was the best out there and was all that was available.

I think a lot of the issues you have listed are more or less luck of the draw (things like the dial lume/markers being uneven/crooked, etc). Some 3717 examples are better than others with this regard, but as you mentioned, some of these items should be expected and modified accordingly (things like the datewheel, crystal AR, and yes, even luming) in order to make this a great rep.

Personally, I always consider reps to be 50% complete when rec'd; I think of them as incomplete 'kit' watches that are fitted with temporary parts and waiting to be completed by the new owner, hence the reason why I mod and build frankens :) Just about every rep watch that I've received in stock, out-of-the-box condition has been underwhelming to some degree or another; it's just something I've come to expect. The great thing is, they don't have to stay that way ;)

Hi Ubi,

I completely agree that this is a great platform and will mod very nicely. I just don't think it's mentioned enough the small details that one may expect to be there may or may not be absent. Like you said, it's luck of the draw.

I look forward to this project though and will be sure to post photos and a full review once it's dressed and ready for the ball. :)

M.

I'm sorry that you received an only partly satisfying 3717, mactower.

I don't mean to hijack your thread but as you mention that the markers are uneven I thought I might ask: Is there a step by step guide somewhere on how to do this? My markers are slightly off too. :wounded1:

Val.

The big issue with the markers is how they are applied. The V3 has little plastic markers that are glued to the dial; they are either infused with some sort of luminous material, or lumed directly on the dial with a little plastic marker 'cap' placed on top of it (I've seen both of these versions first hand and have fiddled with trying to correct them). The markers can be removed, but this requires great care, as removal can also result removal of dial surface paint as well. This is ultimately why I went with the gen dial on mine... The V1 dial was nice, but lacked the texture and the color. The V3 dials I had were troublesome because of the markers. Last resort... Gen parts :)

I do have a somewhat decent dial and hands at home I think. I'll snap some pics and if anyone wants them, I'll probably be giving them away...

Thanks Ubi. I was having a tough time trying to figure out what the differences were between the V1 and V3 dial. If it's an issue of the markers and lume only, I can get those stripped and repainted and lumed. I was looking at the gen dial last night thinking the IWC font was off somehow (thinner font?) on the V3 vs the gen though I could be imagining things. :)

M.

I've had crooked markers on my BP 5002 which just needed to be adjusted..

btw the lume on the 3717 are the markers @12-3-6-9 only, and the genuine 3717 and Top Gun are rather weak on the genuine models..

and as Ubi states most of the other issues need to be swapped anyway..I swapped a chiefs AR xtal for mine.

But the best thing to do with the markers is to have them removed and the lume applied directly onto the dial .. resembling more the genuine.. Ziggy or Vac.. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Which I will have done to mine

iwc3717andtg006.jpg

AC/Lani

Well, there are a couple of differences- V1 has chalky plastic markers applied to the dial. These can be removed easily and cleanly without hassle, which makes this version so appealing; new markers can be built up with lume, thus providing a more gen like appearance. The V3 has the luminous markers applied in a different manner and/or with different materials. This makes removal a little more difficult as there is risk of damaging the dial.

Fonts should all be pretty similar if not the same (if comparing V1 to V3 to gen, omitting V2 which has every numeral marker lumed). Color- I don't recall V3, but V1 is a little more grey in color/tone compared to gen. AR may play a role in this as well for V3 dials, as they appear a little more black in color; I don't remember anything striking out to me as different from memory, however (the dial I have at home might be a V3). Texture is off on all the rep dials, as they are too smooth.

I can work on some comparison shots...

Thanks Lani,

I've got this baby a reserved spot with The Zigmeister for lume, dial, hands, german day, eta date, taka crystal and movement servicing. Should be pretty rockin' once complete. :) I'm also debating a custom black with brown stitch hippo strap to go with the finished product. :)

M.

mac, sounds like you got yourself all set up with zig. Once you get it back, you will be blown away of how great the watch looks. I am kind of with Ubi, there are some stuff reps just can't avoid, due to lack of QC. but if and when a watch comes with crooked markers, then I'd have a big problem with it. good thing for you, is that since you are sending out to zig, all of those problems should go away. please do post a pic of the "finished" product. and congrats!

A quick comparo...

V1 dial (modded; stock markers removed and new markers built up with lume):

IMG_5245.jpg

Gen dial:

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_7974.jpg

V3(?) dial (markers straightened by me):

IMG_2185.jpg

**NOTE: The rep dials have some extraordinarily thin paint; notice the rubs along the edges where the paint has chipped off. Luckily, these flaws shouldn't be visible once installed, but pretty annoying none the less...

Now some additional details of the gen dial:

IMG_7975.jpg

Significantly better finish and paint...

IMG_7979.jpg

Deep subdials...

IMG_9119.jpg

Note the dial texture...

IMG_9114.jpg

Hope this comparison helps...

//ubi

• 2 months later...