When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Rolex Submariners with ceramic bezels

Pugwash

As stated before... those new Subs look like our old reps with those gigantic crown guards. :D

That green is pretty terrible but then again it has nothing to do with the watch design... that color would look terrible on any watch.

New "fat lugs" Rolexes leave me cold. Not that the new Sub case is ugly or anything, it's just not the same classic anymore. Just think about it guys, current Sub case has been on production since 1960 (over 40 years) with virtually zero changes. Why touch something that's perfect just for the sake of it? I don't get it.

As stated before... those new Subs look like our old reps with those gigantic crown guards. :D

That green is pretty terrible but then again it has nothing to do with the watch design... that color would look terrible on any watch.

New "fat lugs" Rolexes leave me cold. Not that the new Sub case is ugly or anything, it's just not the same classic anymore. Just think about it guys, current Sub case has been on production since 1680 (over 40 years) with virtually zero changes. Why touch something that's perfect just for the sake of it? I don't get it.

+1: I hate the big designs so much, they look all like a chinese bling bling masters had designed them. They just look cheap and fake...

New "fat lugs" Rolexes leave me cold. Not that the new Sub case is ugly or anything, it's just not the same classic anymore. Just think about it guys, current Sub case has been on production since 1680 (over 40 years) with virtually zero changes. Why touch something that's perfect just for the sake of it? I don't get it.

+2 As Gorillladame said, they just look nasty... Something of an irony that the rep manufacturers had the Ceramic Noir Sub out way before Rolex, now the gens are copying the 'copies' :lol::tu:

+2 As Gorillladame said, they just look nasty... Something of an irony that the rep manufacturers had the Ceramic Noir Sub out way before Rolex, now the gens are copying the 'copies' :lol::tu:

I would not buy a gen oversized case ,if i liked these fat cases i would stick with the rep and save money im no expert but i cant tell the difference! ok rolex should make new upgrades but they should realize that a large community love the vintage/classic rolexes and they should re-introduce new vintage style watches to pay homage to there past models that have gained legendary status! they should relaunch watches like the 6538,5512 many watch makers are making classic vintage style watches and rolex should also do this and open up a new market! not everyone will like there new boxy watches!

I would not buy a gen oversized case ,if i liked these fat cases i would stick with the rep and save money im no expert but i cant tell the difference! ok rolex should make new upgrades but they should realize that a large community love the vintage/classic rolexes and they should re-introduce new vintage style watches to pay homage to there past models that have gained legendary status! they should relaunch watches like the 6538,5512 many watch makers are making classic vintage style watches and rolex should also do this and open up a new market! not everyone will like there new boxy watches!

I think you're right there, new releases of some of the classics should certainly go down well :) I think the recent Rolex releases have been aimed purely at the 'bling bling crowd', rather than true 'watch enthusiasts', but as with everything with the R Word on the dial, I'm sure they will sell :)

I'm actually liking that Green one I reckon it would look pretty good on. I think the Rep ceramic Blue is a tough call but the Green calls to me more than the older version of the LV for some reason, senile old age perhaps. Though I have the GMT11 and really like it for some reason I don't like the maxi dials on subs perhaps I just dont like change.

ST4

I think you're right there, new releases of some of the classics should certainly go down well :) I think the recent Rolex releases have been aimed purely at the 'bling bling crowd', rather than true 'watch enthusiasts', but as with everything with the R Word on the dial, I'm sure they will sell :)

Thanks teejay! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Well said there and true! and i think that watch enthusiasts that build frankens of vintage watches like the vintage sub should be praised and not classed as mere fakes but a homage to the classic/vintage watch. prices of vintage rolexes have gone through the roof and are beyond many pockets with the result that watches end up

with collectors who dont really care for the watches but see it as an investment(inflated value) i mean a vintage rolex selling for 100,000 usd the "tool watch" has lost the message here!

Edited by aeromatic

Kermit? More like vomit.

Sorry... I just can't get my eyes around the new LV. I'm good with the large-case black sub, but that one is just hideous.

It is funny though how the rep makers had the black sub first. I'd be interested to see how close the genuine rolex 'rep' of the fantasy model measures up to the real 'gen' made by the rep makers. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Jack

Edited by Jack1024

Thanks teejay! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Well said there and true! and i think that watch enthusiasts that build frankens of vintage watches like the vintage sub should be praised and not classed as mere fakes but a homage to the classic/vintage watch. prices of vintage rolexes have gone through the roof and are beyond many pockets with the result that watches end up

with collectors who dont really care for the watches but see it as an investment(inflated value) i mean a vintage rolex selling for 100,000 usd the "tool watch" has lost the message here!

Absolutely, the watches built by guys like Freddy and Ubi are true works of art. Sure, they might not have been made in the Rolex factory, but given the parts used, they're every bit as real, as the parts themselves are real, and they're really well put together :) Other Rolex atrocities of late, would be the jewelled GMTs, and the YachtMaster II, which again, aimed at the 'bling bling crowd', rather than real enthusiasts... Of course, they will sell, but to steal a line from The Rocker, "that doesn't make it right"... :D

Kermit? More like vomit.

Sorry... I just can't get my eyes around the new LV. I'm good with the large-case black sub, but that one is just hideous.

It is funny though how the rep makers had the black sub first. I'd be interested to see how close the genuine rolex 'rep' of the fantasy model measures up to the real 'gen' made by the rep makers. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Jack

If rep makers buy gens to copy for the reps, I wonder if Rolex bought a rep to copy for the gens :lol: