When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Low-Buck Tudor Prince Date

jmb

Since completion of my Tudor Prince Date Chronograph I have become more interested in the Tudor models and also dismayed by the selection (or lack of) available. I decided to order a budget friendly Prince Date mainly to see what I would wind up with. I picked up the watch from the PO this morning and upon unpacking the watch I was pleasantly surprised.

The overall fit and finish is good with the main detractions being the end-links need a bit more fitting and the clasp has the same incorrect spelling/words on the back side. Under magnification the small dial print looks to be a bit weak but "on the wrist" if looks fine.

The case was a pleasant surprise as it has lug holes! I had figured that a cheap rep would basically be a DateJust with a different dial but at 34mm this case is 2mm smaller and has the aforementioned lug holes. There is also Tudor specific engraving on the case back. Although the band is my only disappointment (end-link fit and clasp spelling/wording) it is quite comfortable, although a bit snug.

The dial is silver in color with what I suppose would be called a "linen" (?) texture. The crown is a Twin-Lock Tudor branded piece which screws in and out smoothly. Looking at the face the cyclops appears a bit low as well as a bit underpowered.

I really hadn't intended to do a review of this since but I had stated to Lani (in a different thread) that I would review it and since there isn't a lot available in this brand I figured that folks would tolerate it. Enough rambling, here's what it looks like:

Tudor Prince Date 1.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 2.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 3.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 4.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 5.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 6.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 7.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 8.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 9.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 10.JPG

Tudor Prince Date 12.JPG

T, the case is the first thing that impressed me when opening the package. AND, they are actually thru-holes not just little "dimples" like some others.

Are there any Rolex models that have a 34mm case w/lug holes?

Thanks, Gorilla, there is very little to choose from!

T, the case is the first thing that impressed me when opening the package. AND, they are actually thru-holes not just little "dimples" like some others.

It's a nice case :) The lugs on the vintage sub I have are fully through, I'm wondering if they might be from the same manufacturer :g::tu:

Ubi, maybe this might make a good cheap base to start with if somebody wanted to build up one of those that you mentioned.

fxr, I got this from a dhgate seller (jason007) that I have found to be reasonably reliable considering the venue. It wasn't as cheap as Ubi's but was still under $60 shipped.

There, I revealed the "source" - all flames will be ignored...

That is a neat little watch.To be honest, I didn't know the Tudor Prince Dates and Oyster dates had ever been repped. I was actually looking at some Tudor dates on the web today, a Watch U Seek newbie was asking some questions. I was really amazed that the prices of the Prince Dates and even the Prince Oyster Dates were pretty reasonable, compared to their Rolex counterparts. I was finding quite a few genuine in really nice shape in the 400-700 USD range. Considering that the Tudor subs have doubled in price over the past couple of years, I found that to be pretty reasonable. I suppose there just isn't the market for dress Tudors, compared to the Tudor subs, but if one were looking for a really nice watch at a reasonable price, I think the Prince Date would fill the bill. Even saw a couple of Day Dates that look identical to the Rolex "president" except for the Tudor marking on the dial.

Yeah, Rolex's "poor cousins" are fairly reasonable, all considered. I think about the only difference in some models is an ETA over Rolex movement, somebody correct me if I'm off-base on this. I probably won't wear this much as it's small size looks a bit out of place on my wrist and it's rather snug so I need to "haunt" flea-bay to see if any aftermarket links are available for this style band.