When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got an extra $180,000 lying around?

Nanuq

I know the Double Reds can be insanely expensive but that price is just laughable. :thumbdown:

The seller (and the possible buyer) should get their heads examined. Maybe together... in Siberia, Russia.

No boxes and papers, either. Original paperwork adds a lot to the price. That kind of "full packages" can be expensive... but still not even close to that amount. I doubt he even wants to sell it... it's probably just some sort of attempt to raise the DRSD collector prices and desirability.

Verrrrrrrry nice, Freddy! Can you spill some background?

Old pic of my beater, which is all gen except for the MBW mid-case & dial (a 1-of-a-kind that I found on ebay & then had Kent relume).

Mods - Can someone switch my profile back to Platinum? ;) Thanks.

Edited by freddy333

Yeesh, I wonder what made that one so expensive? :whistling:

Looks like a MKI dial... certainly not a Single Red...

Ideas anyone?

(I know Freddy and Jojo have it already... who else knows?)

Yeesh, I wonder what made that one so expensive? :whistling:

Looks like a MKI dial... certainly not a Single Red...

Ideas anyone?

The Mk1 DRSD (my fav) was (until very recently) considered the most valuable DRSD due to its having a slightly lower profile case than later DRSDs (thicker than a Sub, but thinner than the average 1665). That auction (Antiquorum's infamous Revolution: The Evoluation of the Rolex Watch) marked the zenith of Rolex values. (I watched the auction, live, & posted a play-by-play chronicle of prices as the hammer dropped on most of the more prominent pieces.) If I remember correctly, there were 2 DRSDs that sold for more than $200k each, which caused the demand for DRSDs to increase to a fever pitch - at least for awhile. However, shortly after the completion of the 'Revolution' auction, the global economy began to slide & Rolex prices likewise deflated (a bit) to merely ridiculous levels (as opposed to their previously psychotic levels). At least, that is my take on it.

Was this the one with the patent pending and lack of HEV?

Yes & the formatting of the 5 lines of text was somewhat unique. I think Antiquorum estimated it to sell for about $100k. Obviously, this & many other Rolex watches greatly exceeded their expectations. Can you say 'bubble'? :whistling: