When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project 5513/5517

rolexmaniac88

Dear fellow members,

I am about to complete my WM9 V3 BK. I just received the gen insert. And i think that's the end of the way for me. No more modding. Done the bracelet and i'm quite happy with it.

So, before launching my new project (which i had in mind for quite some time), i'd like to get some advice.

A few months back, toomuchgear supplied a lot of information on a 5517 project.

So far, i came up with this as the "ingredients":

- MBW 5513 case : $165 (But does new version is still a good thing or should i find an older one? What will really fit as for gen parts)

- 2846 movement slow beat: $100

- CWP insert: $120

- CWP hands: $65

- Clarks tropic 19 or gen tropic (i saw Jojo35 had one for sale): $90 or $125

Now, I need your help to find my way. I would like to achieve a great watch, limit to a minimum bad aspects (that is one of the reason why i'm getting rid of the bracelet). Plus, i love NATO straps.

Compulsory mods: gen fat spring bars attached to the case like ubi did for justasgood (i cannot do it myself unfortunately)

Options:

1) Go the 5513 Milsub route with sword hands and T Dial and 60minutes insert but won't get proper engravings on the back and CWP insert is quite pricey

2) Go the 5513 with sword hands and 15minutes insert and T Dial

3) Go the 5517 that was turned into a 5513 with sword or mercedes hand, 15 minutes insert and classic dial

PS: i just discovered that some 5517 got a 369 dial with the T, but i don't even know if a rep version does exist. Plus, i think i may be tired of it quite rapidly.

Thus, my questions are:

1) Is there a good 15 minutes 5513 insert not as expensive as the $120 for CWP (i don't mind about the pearl as i'll remove it)

2) Are mercedes hands really cheapest than sword hands?

3) What will fit? Does the CWP hands and insert would fit on the movement and on the bezel of the MBW?

4) For the dial, i don't know where to find a good one. I feel that no T Dial good rep do exist out there but i may be wrong. Is there a good way to go for 5513.

Sorry for the mess, i, myself, am still confused with this project but i really want to see it through. I don't think i have the money right now to launch it right away but i need to get a clear mind before getting into it.

Also, if anyone know the price that a member or the zigmeister would charge to assemble and do all the mods (so i can take it into account on my budget, that would be really much appreciated. Mods would probably be the followings: service movement, assemble the watch, give a vintage look to the dial and maybe insert (but that i should be able to do it myself) and most importantly fix the lug bars.

Finally, i would love for this project not to be more than $1000-1200 (and if possible lower) that is why i have not taken into consideration a YUKI or NDT case. But i'm open to any suggestion! :drinks:

If anybody can refer to similar projects that have been completed and posted here, they are more than welcome.

RM88,

As for ingredients the CWP hands will only fit a gen 1520/30 movement and not an ETA. I still have a set of MKII sword hands (aged by The Zigmeister :thumbsupsmileyanim: ) made for ETA movement -if you're interested. ;)

To answer your questions:

1) Poor Mans Watch forum had a very good insert for ~$70 Any members have feedback on the Yuki inserts???

2) Already answered this one above

3) The CWP 5517 will fit an MBW bezel

4) NDT has the best 5517 dial, Yuki's is just okay

You'll need to check with the Zigmeister on the permanent strap bar case work on an MBW but I would say that is the best budget route.

I hope that helps, best of luck on the project and keep the forum updated with your project!

Here are a few inspiration shots for you:

DSC_1581.jpg

DSC_1532.jpg

DSC_2196.jpg

Thank you so much for all the info toomuchgear.

Yeah, i'll do a bit more research to see what config i'll choose for my project. But your input definitely helped !

Does anyone know if the new MBW 5513 case accept the same gen parts the old one did? Is it more difficult? Also, does anyone has a source for mbw cases, old or new apart from eurotimez (which is apparently not a reliable source anymore)?

Is the bezel any good on an MBW (old or new)? Would a newer MBW 5513 case would take a gen T19 without extensive mods?

Will welcome any help on this project. Also, if anyone know of a modder who would be able to do such a project in the EU, please tell.

The bars are solid stainless. Lugs are drilled to about 1.75 mm, stainless rod is turned and polished to a light press fit and secured in place, ends ground flush and lugs re-polished.

I’m not sure where the rumour about gen parts not fitting new MBW cases came from. I have searched quite a bit and found no direct facts. It would obviously be a retro step for MBW whoever they are to start making reps that won’t take gen parts like most of the other reps.

All I can tell you is I recently brought a MBW 1665 case from ET and it was exactly the same as one I brought a few years ago from George. The new one has accepted a gen crystal and bezel insert.

+1

I couldn't find any direct info about this either. I did find a some mention of other reps being sold as MBW, when they were not, I guess this could have started the rumours.

I have a very recent MBW from Narikaa, the case is threaded at 3mm for the tube, so takes a gen tube and crown.

The movement is 2836, which means that a 2824 won't fit properly, and the crown is close to the back of the case. This can make it difficult to countersink the tubes for a new, bigger, 7mm crown.

Inserts click in to the bezel fine, but I've used a little glue to make sure they are secure. The bezel is the gen construction, but I haven't tried to see if a gen bezel will fit. I'm very tempted to get an aftermarket one from NDT, because the machining is a bit weak and shallow around the edge of the MBW bezel.

Tropic 19 crystals fit but can be too tight, so either the crystal or retaining ring need filing.

26mm dials, both Yuki and MBW, have room to move about a bit, so I think a very slightly larger dial might fit.

Edited by Luna

+1

I couldn't find any direct info about this either. I did find a some mention of other reps being sold as MBW, when they were not, I guess this could have started the rumours.

I have a very recent MBW from Narikaa, the case is threaded at 3mm for the tube, so takes a gen tube and crown.

The movement is 2836, which means that a 2824 won't fit properly, and the crown is close to the back of the case. This can make it difficult to countersink the tubes for a new, bigger, 7mm crown.

Inserts click in to the bezel fine, but I've used a little glue to make sure they are secure. The bezel is the gen construction, but I haven't tried to see if a gen bezel will fit. I'm very tempted to get an aftermarket one from NDT, because the machining is a bit weak and shallow around the edge of the MBW bezel.

Tropic 19 crystals fit but can be too tight, so either the crystal or retaining ring need filing.

26mm dials, both Yuki and MBW, have room to move about a bit, so I think a very slightly larger dial might fit.

I don't know where it came from but a couple months back i started reading stuff about new MBW not being as good as the old ones. so :bangin:

Thanks for the info. A lot of stuff you said i actually needed to know ! Does it mean a 2846 will fit right?

Does it mean a 2846 will fit right?

Copying and pasting from a watchuseek thread:

The standard eta 90/150/25 hand sizes will fit:

ETA 2801-2

ETA 2804-2

ETA 2821-1

ETA 2836-2

ETA 2842

ETA 2846

ETA 2850

ETA 2851

ETA 2852

ETA 2853

ETA 2858

ETA 2859

ETA 2870

ETA 2871

ETA 2872

ETA 2873

ETA 2878

ETA 2879

ETA 2892

Hangzhou 6300

Seagull ST24

All of these listed movements are 11-1/2 ligne movements, so they all have a casing diameter of 25.60 mm, and an overall diameter of 26.00 mm.

The thickness (T) and stem height (SH) are the only things that vary:

ETA 2824-2, T: 4.60 mm, SH: 1.80 mm (Hands 90/150/25)

ETA 2892A2, T: 3.60 mm, SH: 1.50 mm

ETA 2801-2, T: 3.35 mm, SH: 1.80 mm

ETA 2804-2, T: 3.35 mm, SH: 1.80 mm

ETA 2821-1, T: 4.60 mm, SH: 1.80 mm

ETA 2836-2, T: 5.05 mm, SH: 2.25 mm

ETA 2842, T: 5.05 mm, SH: 2.25 mm

ETA 2846, T: 5.05 mm, SH: 2.25 mm

ETA 2850, T: 4.05 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2851, T: 4.05 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2852, T: 4.05 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2853, T: 4.05 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2858, T: 4.05 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2859, T: 4.05 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2870, T: 5.30 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2871, T: 5.30 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2872, T: 5.30 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2873, T: 5.30 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2878, T: 5.30 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

ETA 2879, T: 5.30 mm, SH: 2.50 mm

Hangzhou 6300, T: 4.60 mm, SH: 1.80 mm

Seagull ST24, T: 4.60 mm, SH: 1.80 mm

So, yes the 2846 should fit a 2836 case like the MBW, but not fit a 2824 case.

The bars are solid stainless. Lugs are drilled to about 1.75 mm, stainless rod is turned and polished to a light press fit and secured in place, ends ground flush and lugs re-polished.

jmb is all too familiar with that process as he and I collaborated on a 5517 project for justasgood. Turned out fairly nicely, I think :)

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

• 1 year later...

Trevor has an $85.00 5517 that takes gen crystals and bezel inserts. I have two. One ETA and one 21J.

v.yupoo dot com/photos/trevorwatch/albums/2235661/

I used these hands. They are available for 21J or ETA. The yellow matches the dial and glows as well as superluminova.

cgi.ebay dot com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150614445087&si=2gAhAkuIV2j9tLl1ECceXVqvjcA%253D&=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The texture is a little rough and looks good.

These are my favorite watches.

Thanks for the link Lloyd. How long does it take for shipping. Is the case drilled and bars mounted for the lugs? Cannot see very well in the pictures. I may get one of those. I actually have a set of those hands and Ken's milsub semi-sterile dial on the way. Just need a good case to start from. May need two one for the 5513/17 project and another for the Tudor milsub franken

E

Thanks for the link Lloyd. How long does it take for shipping. Is the case drilled and bars mounted for the lugs? Cannot see very well in the pictures. I may get one of those. I actually have a set of those hands and Ken's milsub semi-sterile dial on the way. Just need a good case to start from. May need two one for the 5513/17 project and another for the Tudor milsub franken

E

The lugs are drilled with fixed pins just like the original. It looks great with the Tropic 19 on it. I am using the Frei version of the crystal. It is marked 5517, but the serial is 295xxxx. Sorry don't have it memorized. That is too low for a real 5517. Oh, well.

Make sure you ask him if they are drilled. I tried two other times before him, and they gave me the "new and improved" version that was not drilled. Hopefully he can still get the drilled one.

Trevor had the watch to me in about 10 working days. He can also get the ETA dials if you want one with feet for ETA. I pressed on the crystal with my hand. It was snug. Then used my crystal press to press the crystal retaining ring on. I put an o-ring at the bottom of the ring. I reset the case tube with non-hardening thread compound. They do not leak swimming in the pool. I don't have a pressure tester, but I don't see how they could leak after I sealed them.

I just ordered a 5513 from Josh. It is supposed to use gen crystal and bezel too. It is 118.

I want to make a 5513.

And to think that my wife thinks I have too many watches. LOL

Hope this helps.

Edited by lloyd

Looks really good. I definitely want to end up with something like that for my daily beater. I definitely have something close to that already, but need the right case. I like the looks of that case. What weight does it have? Thanks for sharing.

E

Looks really good. I definitely want to end up with something like that for my daily beater. I definitely have something close to that already, but need the right case. I like the looks of that case. What weight does it have? Thanks for sharing.

E

I don't know the exact weight. It is not too heavy since it is just the head and relatively small. It is solid stainless though.