When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new "bond" subs

biffa

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its about time they made this watch is it 6536 or is it 6538 brevet? we cant see the coin edge bezel, looks good to me but i will have to compare it to my 6538 yuki build!

post-27094-127081403165_thumb.jpg this is my yuki finished project!

Nice spot biffa!

Looks like a brevet and a coin edge bezel to me. Sure would like to see a better pearl and maybe a slow beat 2846-2, but it looks like an improvement over the old Silix/cartel offerings, with a few mods it could look pretty good- that and a good dose of judicious aging.

Nice 6538, Aeromatic- I assume it has a 1030 beating inside.

caseback is marked as a 5508 this should be the small crown thin case unique writing of "switzerladn" wonder why they do this sometimes its shiterland or rolexsa (when it should be rolex sa) well one mans junk is another mans tressure as they say!(did i spell that right? Lol! )

Nice spot biffa!

Looks like a brevet and a coin edge bezel to me. Sure would like to see a better pearl and maybe a slow beat 2846-2, but it looks like an improvement over the old Silix/cartel offerings, with a few mods it could look pretty good- that and a good dose of judicious aging.

Nice 6538, Aeromatic- I assume it has a 1030 beating inside.

post-27094-127081772386_thumb.jpg no comment needed! check out my first post on rwg for more photos and details!!!!

and i agree with you it would make a good project!

While I don't have any comment on this particular watch, I do agree with aero and alli; it takes some imagination and creativity to see past certain pieces 'as-is' to visualize the full potential that a watch may have as a project. Some watches might not look great from the start, but with some work those pieces could result in nice builds.

While I don't have any comment on this particular watch, I do agree with aero and alli; it takes some imagination and creativity to see past certain pieces 'as-is' to visualize the full potential that a watch may have as a project. Some watches might not look great from the start, but with some work those pieces could result in nice builds.

Ditto.

This 1 appears to have the wrong coin edge bezel (more like the 6542-style bezel on the Silix, so it is likely the same case) & wrong Brevet crown (more like a Bubble Back Brevet with the word 'Brevet' below the coronet instead of a cross).

Well Said, after all this is what our hobby is all about ,i have been looking for a case to use to build a rolex gmt why not use this case it would make a nice no crown gmt!!! i can see it now in my head with a bakelite pepsi bezel insert! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Well Said, after all this is what our hobby is all about ,i have been looking for a case to use to build a rolex gmt why not use this case it would make a nice no crown gmt!!! i can see it now in my head with a bakelite pepsi bezel insert! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I guess we're thinking along the same lines, aero! I've got this watch in the back of my mind

imgCAIZFXR9.jpg

And maybe this dial from Paul- it doesn't say 'Date' at the end of Oyster Perpetual.

W29131.jpg

Thanks for the pic of your 6538 movt- I certainly can't remember back to your original post!

I guess we're thinking along the same lines, aero! I've got this watch in the back of my mind

And maybe this dial from Paul- it doesn't say 'Date' at the end of Oyster Perpetual.

Thanks for the pic of your 6538 movt- I certainly can't remember back to your original post!

Hi alligoat!

Thats it, this image has been on the back of my mind for months one thing i dont like about my thin case pepsi dial is the oyster perpetual date , well let see what will be the price of this watch, yuki has the bakelite pepsi bezel but its pricy

im lookin into using a steel insert and making a acryic insert cover and glueing it with uv addisive same as they use to glue the cyclopes on crystals this should give it a look similar to the bakelite insert and i will shape it curved as well

Thanks for the photos! a no crown guard gmt is rare even a franken! lets do it it will be a nice watch!

Aero

You may be on to something there Chris, the problem i see is getting the small triangle GMT hand.

Good evening FxrAndy

i recall seeing the small triangle hand set somewhere but i cant remember where?

i think this will be a nice watch, ok so it may not be 100 % as the gen because i intend to use your 2893-2 fast beat so this will be a homage to the no crown guard gmt but with the vintage theme! yes it will be hard to find a small triagle hand if we do find any aftermaket they will be for a gen movement and wont work on eta mabe we can do some adapting(engineering) or make our own hand!

i like this case idea better that the 1680 also its very rare!

So a modern remake of the first GMT, :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Why not? we know rolex will never do it, so why dont we do it? omega did it with the first moon watch!

i recall seeing the small triangle hand set somewhere but i cant remember where?

You can get 6542 handsets on ebay, but they vary (alot) in quality

0031-3.jpg

(gen to be used with my Phase 2 6542)

yes it will be hard to find a small triagle hand if we do find any aftermaket they will be for a gen movement and wont work on eta mabe we can do some adapting(engineering) or make our own hand!

That is what I had to do for my 1st 6542. The GMT hand is composed of parts from 3 hands that I had to solder (very gingerly) together. Difficult, but it can be done. I happen to be wearing my Phase 1 6542 today

024_3_2_tonemapped1.jpg

That is what I had to do for my 1st 6542. The GMT hand is composed of parts from 3 hands that I had to solder (very gingerly) together. Difficult, but it can be done. I happen to be wearing my Phase 1 6542 today

Thanks freddy333 i will check ebay yes i was thinking along the same lines there with regards to soldering 3 parts

oh and thats a super gmt you got there! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Me too....

EDIT: Wonder if its possible for a lume-master to duplicate the raised, crisp numbers/indexes used on the bakelite bezel in order to mould a homemade bezel using ICE Resin. One advantage would be that one could mimick the "bleeding" of the markings. Thought I´d ask everestwatchworks about this. Another advantage of a homegrown bezel - one could add a more organic patina into the resin itself as per gen vintage. I fear, however, that a DIY approach to the bezel markings might never look machine made?

Found this on the bay:

http://www.iceresin.com/

Way too advanced for me though, although I ordered some resin after a couple of drinks the other day :black_eye:

Edited by mastergod

0031-3.jpg

024_3_2_tonemapped1.jpg

Hi freddy. Is that gmt hand made using (amongst other things) the tip of the hour hand??? (I hope so)

Cheers, MG

Hi freddy. Is that gmt hand made using (amongst other things) the tip of the hour hand??? (I hope so)

No. The tip came from an aftermarket GMT hand made to fit a gen movement. (Most of) the arm wand came from an old Daytona 62xx hand & the center ring came from a GMT rep I got from Josh. After a bit of silver solder & paint, you would never know it was a franken-arm. :whistling:

Hey Freddy, ol' buddy ol' pal, don't forget your best mate here in Alaska when that Phase-2 6542 is finished and you get tired of that scabby old Phase-1 6542. :whistling:

I've got a spot right here on my shelf just waiting for it. :tu:

Me too....

EDIT: Wonder if its possible for a lume-master to duplicate the raised, crisp numbers/indexes used on the bakelite bezel in order to mould a homemade bezel using ICE Resin. One advantage would be that one could mimick the "bleeding" of the markings. Thought I´d ask everestwatchworks about this. Another advantage of a homegrown bezel - one could add a more organic patina into the resin itself as per gen vintage. I fear, however, that a DIY approach to the bezel markings might never look machine made?

Found this on the bay:

http://www.iceresin.com/

Way too advanced for me though, although I ordered some resin after a couple of drinks the other day :black_eye:

Thanks mastergod very interseting this ice resin and would avoid any problems attaching an acryilic cover over the bezel insert i assume this stuff self levels too? it would be difficult DIYing an exact replica of the bakelite insert therefore mabe the 380usd that yuki asks for might be the way to go to achieve gen like results, mabe this can be purchased in a low cost build by keeping the costs down by not using an expensive gen movement or high priced case but a watch costing around say 400usd, a home made insert would have to be a acrylic cover fixed over the insert without doing any reprint this would give a sort of fifty fathoms style insert!

Edited by aeromatic

It seems that the insert is the hardest part. Watchesandparts has a very nice 6542 for sale right now at $10,000 but it has his aftermarket insert, which on that gen case and dial, just looks clown-like. :thumbdown:

It seems that the insert is the hardest part. Watchesandparts has a very nice 6542 for sale right now at $10,000 but it has his aftermarket insert, which on that gen case and dial, just looks clown-like. :thumbdown:

i was thinking on the lines of a homage watch to the bakelite no crown gmt! a homemade acrylic cover curved and glued with uv glue as used for sticking cyclopes it wont give gen like results but with be interesting and will have a modern beat FXRAndys 2893-2 movement!