When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm building a Tudor Prince Date - a community reachout...

hackR

Hey Rolex fans!...

I realize some of you are probably wondering if i got lost in this forum on my way to the Breilting and/or Panerai forums... :whistling: Well, i've always like the brand - but never felt comfortable pulling it off...Then along comes all these sexy Tudors...Shultz recently sold me a "tudor franken kit" which includes a case, gen dial and gen crown... :drinks:

4scyky.jpg

I absolutely love this dial!...anyone know what model and/or model year it is?...been searching - but haven't found it yet...

I am pretty excited to begin the process of gathering up parts and generally learning...one of the best things about RWG is how the community comes together to help members who want to learn...so with this in mind, i post this thread...a project thread asking for advice, sources, ideas, suggestions and comments on this project...If you have spare parts let me know...If you have sources, please let me know - websites, forums, etc...If you see parts on ebay, other sites, please let me know...If you have advice and/or comments on building this, please let me know...

I will try to chronicle this project here with decisions, directions, woes and delights with this project...

All said, i am open to anything...I haven't made a decision on gen versus rep parts, eta versus asian movements...17j or 25j, low-beat versus high beat, etc, etc...I want the watch to "look good" and accurate - and would like to keep the costs "manageable"...it doesn't have to be as gen-like as it can - just gen-looking and running great!

Here's the parts I need to make this project a reality...

1) gen tube for the gen crown

2) movement

3) hand set - charcoal; preferably gen - wishful thinking, i know...

4) movement/case ring (ideas?)

5) bracelet; end links, clasp - is there a model# i should be looking for?...for bracelet, end links, etc?...

6) cyclops and/or crystal/cyclops

Here's a pix of Namor's beauty - i'd like to build mine identical to his... :good:

tudor600.jpg

tudor6002.jpg

tudor3.jpg

namorclasp.jpg

His watch has these details:

* genuine Tudor movement (originally an eta 7750 25j)

* genuine new Tudor crown

* genuine new Tudor dial

* genuine new Tudor hands

* genuine new Tudor datewheel

* new clarks sapphire with added cyclops

* new rep Tudor bracelet

* new rep matching Tudor endlinks

* new rep Tudor clasp

Thanks, in advance, Rolex@RWG!

And special thanks to Shultz and Namor... :victory:

R-

So, you were the lucky bugger!

I may have another Tudor signed Oyster bracelet like I used on mine, I'll check tomorrow. I sourced my hand set from Eurotimez and the A7750 movement will drop right in without any ring or spacer/adapter. ofrei.com has cyclops.

thanks for the ebay tip, Chi... :good:

thanks, Justin...cool...let me know...another "community" built Tudor... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

HANDS and MOVEMENT question: is there a difference in hand size for the low or high beat a7750 movements - i thought they had different pinions?...i can't remember the nuances of hand fit for a7750 and eta 7750 movements...i thought gen hands fit the low-beat a7750 movements, but i'm not sure...

thanks for the ebay tip, Chi... :good:

thanks, Justin...cool...let me know...another "community" built Tudor... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

HANDS and MOVEMENT question: is there a difference in hand size for the low or high beat a7750 movements - i thought they had different pinions?...i can't remember the nuances of hand fit for a7750 and eta 7750 movements...i thought gen hands fit the low-beat a7750 movements, but i'm not sure...

There is indeed a difference in hands between hi- and lowbeat A7750.

The low beat movement has the same hands as the ETA 7750.

Great project btw, will have to follow this one :thumbsupsmileyanim:

// Mike

excellent info, guys!...it's appreciated... :drinks:

i figured this would be a nice project related thread - instead of running all over thru various misc posts and pms to source what's needed and to answer questions...

in time, this could be a nice resource thread - as well as, chronicling the build...

and yes - it really is a sharp dial...and as some know, i love arabic dials!...

R-

hackR, I rooted around out in the shop and found another Tudor signed Brushed Oyster band like I used on my project. It's a rep so PM me if you need a "last resort"...

...but the cousins generic tubes fit that crown

@Andy - Is there an easy way to know/measure the tube size for the gen Tudor crown?...w/o taking the old one out, that is?

...I am leaning toward a crystal without mag for a cleaner... IMO look......

@Lani - As a newbie Rollie kinda guy, i kinda agree...altho, i think i'll cross this bridge once i get there...looking at the dial, I sometimes think I should just put in a white font on black date wheel and go without the cyclops...

...found another Tudor signed Brushed Oyster band like I used on my project. It's a rep so PM me if you need a "last resort"...

thanks, J...nice of you!...i may take you up on that...altho, right now, i'm leaning toward the same bracelet in Namor's pix...options, i like options!...

21600bph 7750s will usually accept gen hands as the pinions *should* (heavy emphasis on should) be the same size; don't take this as a hard fast rule as there's likely combinations of mish mash A7750's out there cross fitted with parts depending on what's available in the assembly line bin. 28800bph A7750's will almost always have the larger subdial pinions and smaller center seconds pinion than Swiss:

Swiss-

Hour 2.00mm

Minute 1.20mm

Center Seconds 0.25mm

Subdials 0.17mm

Asian (28,800bph)-

Hour 2.00mm

Minute 1.20mm

Center Seconds 0.20mm

Subdial 0.20mm

I'm citing Swiss ETA measurements as the standard to compare against as that is what gen brands would use in their watches (hence hands are made to fit Swiss). Measurements originally from Zigmeister I believe.

Hope this helps...

//ubi

excellent info, R, on the movements... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

soooooo - it looks like i need to locate hands - gen or rep - first and then get the appropriate movement...

regarding rep hands - i'd like to get charcoal/grey colored hands similar to the gen hands on Namor's Tudor...however, i can't seem to find out whether a rep Daytona existed with charcoal/grey hands...anyone know?...and lastly - how "rare" and/or "difficult" is it to find/source gen Tudor hands...do they surface from time2time?...

thanks!...

I don't think all of the gen hands for the Valjoux will fit the Asian movement.

Maybe take a look at this one. The watch is uglier than a mud fence but the hands look to be black or dark grey...

http://www.idolreplicas.com/rolex-daytona-working-chronograph-pvd-case-black-diamond-markers-with-blue-mop-dial-black-leather-strap-replica-watch--51375.html

:thumbsupsmileyanim: --- ugly watch....nice hands...

probably no way of knowing whether these hands would fit - especially since it's a generic quartz movement... :g:

is ebay the only source for gen hands?...or does anyone else know of a source?...

R-