When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken UPO & advise for how to ?

bravoecho

After discussing with Eton about his supreme (UPO), I dive into the same... Now the question is, I'm very far from most of forum member oppotunities :wounded1: I can't organise and follow-up part by part with well known modifier members to achieve my goal... Dubai does not fit for franken-issues.

For me only possible option is, to contact with "franken builders" and wait to receive, at this point I need your valuable advises especially from the members who chosen same way to get their franken watches. This will be a guideline for future deals.

- Duration ?

- Payment ?

- Choosing parts ?

- Shipping issues ?

- and others which I can't remember now...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by bravoecho

ok.. you have 3 options:

a) buy an UPO from one of the dealers here and buy parts (from Ofrei or cousins UK) and send it to a modder like The Zigmeisterman or vac..

b ) put up a wanted sign for it :p

c) email/PM vac or The Zigmeisterman and ask them to build one for you.. ( they buying the parts & the watch)

duartion... um...depending on how busy the modders are... prolly about 4 months??

$ - (breakdown) UPO $280, gen dial $200, gen crown/tube $60, gen hands $50, gen bezel $200, gen crystal $200

looks like you want to go the "get it build for you" route... so i suggest contacting one of the modders here..

Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

honestly, if you are going to buy all the parts and pay someone to do it for you, I'd just buy a used gen.

The PO franken is already borderline too expensive in the rep vs gen scale. Adding build expenses would put it over the top for me.

Here's a breakdown of the parts from Ofrei

Name SKU Each Total

Omega Dial For Caliber 2500 OME-2500-DIAL#3 ................................ $242.00

Genuine Omega Cal 2500 Hour & Minute Hands Silver Arrow With Luminous HAN-4150 ................................$38.00

Genuine Omega Cal 2500 Second Hand Silver Arrow Luminous With Red Tip HAN-4151 ................................$17.60

Omega Stainless Steel Crown 42184 8100/3905W ................................$38.00

Omega Case Tube 090ST1232 OME-090ST1232 ................................$6.60

Omega Sapphire Crystal 062SB3063 OME-SB3063 ................................$169.00

Omega Bezel 082SU1703 OME-082SU1703 ................................$228.00

Sub Total $739.20

Shipping would be from $15 to $33 on the parts alone.

UPO $260

So you are talking about more than $1,000.00 for the parts (considering you don't care about the HE valve. That would add $75 to the bill).

Now add builder costs, time, shipping to and from builder and this project would cost close

$1300.

Considering you can find used gens for $1800-$2000, I don't really think paying to get a franken built would be a good deal.

I've built mine myself and I did not add the bezel (bought a new gen before getting there).

honestly, if you are going to buy all the parts and pay someone to do it for you, I'd just buy a used gen.

The PO franken is already borderline too expensive in the rep vs gen scale. Adding build expenses would put it over the top for me.

Here's a breakdown of the parts from Ofrei

Name SKU Each Total

Omega Dial For Caliber 2500 OME-2500-DIAL#3 ................................ $242.00

Genuine Omega Cal 2500 Hour & Minute Hands Silver Arrow With Luminous HAN-4150 ................................$38.00

Genuine Omega Cal 2500 Second Hand Silver Arrow Luminous With Red Tip HAN-4151 ................................$17.60

Omega Stainless Steel Crown 42184 8100/3905W ................................$38.00

Omega Case Tube 090ST1232 OME-090ST1232 ................................$6.60

Omega Sapphire Crystal 062SB3063 OME-SB3063 ................................$169.00

Omega Bezel 082SU1703 OME-082SU1703 ................................$228.00

Sub Total $739.20

Shipping would be from $15 to $33 on the parts alone.

UPO $260

So you are talking about more than $1,000.00 for the parts (considering you don't care about the HE valve. That would add $75 to the bill).

Now add builder costs, time, shipping to and from builder and this project would cost close

$1300.

Considering you can find used gens for $1800-$2000, I don't really think paying to get a franken built would be a good deal.

I've built mine myself and I did not add the bezel (bought a new gen before getting there).

You forgot to add 650usd for a gen bracelet! :)

You're right.. about the cost..minus the Bezel.. (since it's not possible on a UPO). I think the most common mod is to go with the crown, tube, chief crystal and bezel insert. The dial already looks 110% better just from getting the AR... You can make a GREAT looking franken... for $150-$200usd. obviously adding the gen dial would add to the cost.. but i don't think it's as necessary as the crown, tube and AR.... Just my .02

You forgot to add 650usd for a gen bracelet! :)

You're right.. about the cost..minus the Bezel.. (since it's not possible on a UPO). I think the most common mod is to go with the crown, tube, chief crystal and bezel insert. The dial already looks 110% better just from getting the AR... You can make a GREAT looking franken... for $150-$200usd. obviously adding the gen dial would add to the cost.. but i don't think it's as necessary as the crown, tube and AR.... Just my .02

I have both the gen and the rep bracelet. Not that noticeable.

On the bezel, while you can't fit (well not easily) the OEM bezel on the UPO case you need to buy it to get the insert. You will toss most of it away plus it's a PITA to fit it. If you want the pearl to look right, that's the only option.

The OEM dial is a lot darker than the rep. I think even with good AR you still lacking there. Plus you will need to spend at least $120 to get someone like Vac to lume your rep dial to match the hands (since the rep lume it pitiful)

I'd have to disagree...

When it comes to the fine details, the gen bracelet is in a completely different league when it comes to quality.

Engraving is a significant improvement on the gen...

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5332.jpg

Gen

IMG_5344.jpg

Rep

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

End links are no contest:

IMG_5336.jpg

Gen

IMG_5348.jpg

Rep

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

Diver's extension; gen has better overall finish while the rep is rather crude:

IMG_5353.jpg

If details matter, then there is a difference.

On the bezel, while you can't fit (well not easily) the OEM bezel on the UPO case you need to buy it to get the insert. You will toss most of it away plus it's a PITA to fit it. If you want the pearl to look right, that's the only option.

The OEM dial is a lot darker than the rep. I think even with good AR you still lacking there. Plus you will need to spend at least $120 to get someone like Vac to lume your rep dial to match the hands (since the rep lume it pitiful)

Not sure what GEN bezel you've seen fitted to a UPO but i've always thought that it was an impossible mod as the rep case and bezel are different than gen. :g: The insert although not available new by itself.. can ocassionally be obtained here on the forum as well as Ebay from time to time. Like I said.. I would say that the VAST majority of most franken UPO projects are the basic.. tube, crown and crystal mod. Makes the watch look twice as good and is fairly easy on the bank.

I'd have to disagree...

When it comes to the fine details, the gen bracelet is in a completely different league when it comes to quality.

Engraving is a significant improvement on the gen...

Diver's extension; gen has better overall finish while the rep is rather crude:

If details matter, then there is a difference.

I have both bracelets and to be honest those details only come to bear if you are doing this type of review. On your wrist it's virtually impossible to see any of that stuff. I can notice the crown and HE finish before I spend anytime on the clasp.

The overall brushed finish of the gen is better but nothing you can really notice without the gen to compare. Besides with wear and tear it gets even more difficult to tell them apart.

To be fair I do feel the engraving when I put mine on vs the rep but I actually prefer the smooth feel of the rep clasp :)

Here is my order of importance for a good franken:

1. Sapphire Crystal is first on the list. The sapphire almost gives the dial a murky look, and clarity of the dial under the gen crystal is night and day. I opted for the Gen crystal. Chief AR is nice, but I think it still has its flaws. You save about $70, but there is a long wait time, and sometimes he just doesn't respond.

2. Dial - While some of the earlier rep dials are good the lume on the gen is a monster. I pit it against a Panerai any day. Re-lume from Vac and you get the same results, but again there will be a wait time and the cost in saving is insignificant to having the gen with no flaws.

3. Hands - Same argument as dial regarding luminosity.

4. Crown and Tube - Eventually the rep will fail, and its best to get this out of the way

5. 2824 Datewheel - Completes the look

Optional Mods in order of importance:

5. Bezel - The bezel is expensive, and I think the rep isn't so bad after a simple mod.

6. Bracelet - Really hard to distinguish between gen and rep unless you had a gen next to you to compare. However the end links are not up to snub. There will be a small gap. The second flaw is the diver's extension. I have been lucky to have a pretty tight one, but I feel it will eventually give after a few years of wear. The engraving is definitely thinner and not as deep, however I can look past this.

7. He Valve -

Not sure what GEN bezel you've seen fitted to a UPO but i've always thought that it was an impossible mod as the rep case and bezel are different than gen. :g: The insert although not available new by itself.. can ocassionally be obtained here on the forum as well as Ebay from time to time. Like I said.. I would say that the VAST majority of most franken UPO projects are the basic.. tube, crown and crystal mod. Makes the watch look twice as good and is fairly easy on the bank.

Legend has it that it was done before by a couple of very skilled folks but it requires so many case mods that nobody bothered posting any tutorials on how to do that.

I think gen dial and hands are a must. The lume is so good that anytime you go from light to shade (indoors or outdoors) you will see the glow. It's my favorite part of the watch.

omlume.jpg

PS: I'd love to get my hands on the OEM bezel insert for less than $100. Even $150. Do you have any idea how much those cost?

I'd have to say that the end links are probably a bigger tell than the crown and He valve; rep end links are terrible, fit terrible, look terrible and with their crude finish on such an apparent part, they stand out pretty badly even on the wrist...

(IMHO)

I don't know if I got a good UPO but I've never noticed it before. I think mine look pretty decent.

It doesn't help that I have the rubber on my franken and the gen with the bracelet. Maybe I need to mount the bracelet for a side by side comparison.

Gen

om1.jpg

om2.jpg

Rep

UPO-WEB1.jpg

UPOWrist.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Does anyone know the part numbers for the gen grown and tube from CousinsUK? Also, do I need to get a stem with it or does the one the rep comes with do the job just as well?!

Thanks for any input!

Sixx :bones:

Hey guys,

Does anyone know the part numbers for the gen grown and tube from CousinsUK? Also, do I need to get a stem with it or does the one the rep comes with do the job just as well?!

Thanks for any input!

Hey Sixx,

crown should be 42184ST, tube X12870 - both for the 45.5mm version. But double-check, please! And I'm not sure about the stem...

I hope you don't want to mod the UPO you bought from me, because it already has a gen crown and tube... :whistling:

Cheers,

Whatever

Thanks O,

Not at all, that UPO is solid rock cool as is!! Only thing it needs is wearing!!

I have another UPO that I'm thinking of selling, noe I have yours I don't have any need of it, but would like to be safe selling it so wanted to install the crown and tube to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your help mate!!

Legend has it that it was done before by a couple of very skilled folks but it requires so many case mods that nobody bothered posting any tutorials on how to do that.

I think gen dial and hands are a must. The lume is so good that anytime you go from light to shade (indoors or outdoors) you will see the glow. It's my favorite part of the watch.

omlume.jpg

PS: I'd love to get my hands on the OEM bezel insert for less than $100. Even $150. Do you have any idea how much those cost?

Is it my imagination or is the lume on the gen UPO dial blue? Anyone?

Here is my order of importance for a good franken:

1. Sapphire Crystal is first on the list. The sapphire almost gives the dial a murky look, and clarity of the dial under the gen crystal is night and day. I opted for the Gen crystal. Chief AR is nice, but I think it still has its flaws. You save about $70, but there is a long wait time, and sometimes he just doesn't respond.

2. Dial - While some of the earlier rep dials are good the lume on the gen is a monster. I pit it against a Panerai any day. Re-lume from Vac and you get the same results, but again there will be a wait time and the cost in saving is insignificant to having the gen with no flaws.

3. Hands - Same argument as dial regarding luminosity.

4. Crown and Tube - Eventually the rep will fail, and its best to get this out of the way

5. 2824 Datewheel - Completes the look

Optional Mods in order of importance:

5. Bezel - The bezel is expensive, and I think the rep isn't so bad after a simple mod.

6. Bracelet - Really hard to distinguish between gen and rep unless you had a gen next to you to compare. However the end links are not up to snub. There will be a small gap. The second flaw is the diver's extension. I have been lucky to have a pretty tight one, but I feel it will eventually give after a few years of wear. The engraving is definitely thinner and not as deep, however I can look past this.

7. He Valve -

Nice list, and since I'm planning my franken, I was wondering what bezel mod you are talking about?

Thanks