When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Here's one for Ronin

ubiquitous

Hate to use the word daily beater, but I figure I will wear the heck out of it and let it pick up some aging.

Right now it has the appearance of a "well cared for" almost 40 year old watch that would seemingly have had the crystal / bracelet replaced.

BTW: Had this pressure tested for waterproofness. Passed with flying colors. 10 BAR / 100m IIRC. :good:

Yeah, I'd let this one age naturally with wear. The big trend right now is to have completely unpolished examples when it comes to vintage. Scratches, scuffs, scars are all okay if not excessive or egregious, but the key characteristics to strive toward are the chamfered edges, as-original condition case sides and meaty lugs.

The dial that was installed has the most interesting patina... Difficult to capture in pics, but if the light hits at just the right angle, it looks very nice and age appropriate. And the insert, though difficult to capture in pics, turned out a bit darker than my prior attempts. FxrAndy has one of my inserts on his watch as well; his is even darker (I'm getting a feel for varying up the tones)...

Ronin's insert on top; FxrAndy's on bottom:

IMG_3200.jpg

And a stack of inserts with a couple of vintage gen fat fonts and a gen lumi mixed in as well...

IMG_2967.jpg

Had a lot of fun with this one! Thanks for letting me be a part of it...

//ubi

hah! you might as well ask the wall, Ubi's never giving up that secret publicly. :p

what works for me is some straight bleach for a minute (give or take) and some high grit (2000 and up) light sanding around the edges. one of these days i may try some brake fluid, but im currently all out.

I didn't know it was his secret. I've had pretty good success with bleach, but it took about 20 minutes before the look started to take. I hear it really depends on the insert as they can be different from each other.

The high grit sandpaper is a great idea. I ran a Scotchbright pad over mine and it seemed to give it a nice effect.

Another compliment to Ubi's aging that I don't think many people pay attention to is where there is/should be more wear.

If you look closely the right half looks slightly more aged, as well as a bit of the left half. In the real world, the constant "pushing your shirt sleeve back to check the time" will wear the insert more on that side. Likewise a "not quite long enough - long sleeve shirt, or a watch worn low and loose on the wrist" will pick up extra wear and tear on the left side. The least amount of wear should be between 50 and the Pearl. (Speaking about a Right Handed person, wearing on the left wrist of course)

Not sure if this was "conscientiously" done by Ubi, but the end result does help emulate "sleeve" wear and tear. :thumbsupsmileyanim::1a:

IMG_3686.jpg