When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR on a Rolex? Anyone done it?

pman

I've had a couple of crystals that Chief ARed for me and I'm always amazed at how good they look when I wear these watches. I have a Seadweller and it's in my top 5 to wear. The first thing I always notice when I put it on is the fact that there is no AR. It drives me crazy after wearing my other ARed watches. I'm always impressed with the dial when I look at it when there isn't any reflection off the crystal. I was wondering if anyone has ARed a Rolex crystal. If so, do you have pictures? I'm seriously thinking of trying it even though I know it wouldn't be accurate. Please

WHY WHY WHY???

I cant believe they dont AR them... WTF bangin.gif

I read somewhere that they want the light to reflect off the crystal for a sparkling look.. i dont know if i buy that or not. I also read that it was a durability issue.. I know double AR can scratch but why dont they just do single AR on the underside?

There has got to be a REAL reason why they dont do it. I agree it would make the dial look 10x better on ANY Rolex.

Dizzy: real reason is probably to save money; if it were to cost them only $3 per crystal, at 1 million watches per year... they sell them all anyway so it isn't as if people aren't buying because of a lack of AR, and those that don't because of it there are always another 5 people who will buy that watch anyway.

WHY WHY WHY???

I cant believe they dont AR them... WTF bangin.gif

I read somewhere that they want the light to reflect off the crystal for a sparkling look.. i dont know if i buy that or not. I also read that it was a durability issue.. I know double AR can scratch but why dont they just do single AR on the underside?

There has got to be a REAL reason why they dont do it. I agree it would make the dial look 10x better on ANY Rolex.

There is :) Rolex, as manufacturers, are too set in their ways. The history of the Submariner and SeaDweller pretty much sums up how little innovation or actual changes they make over time. It's only since the GMTIIc, that they've really started putting a lot of new ideas on the table in terms of clasp fixings and using AR on the cyclops'. One could argue that if something ain't broke, don't try to fix it, but to play Devil's Advocate on that, Tudor release updated designs...

All the Pro-Hunter watches should be AR`d (At least according to the company that mods the Gens) However I have not seen any of the Rep`s with AR..

Any divers watch that you're going to use for its intended purpose, IMO, should not have double AR. It WILL get nicked up. My real question, though, is how many people are buying their Rolex to go diving? 5% maybe? So, in reality, I'd say they should indeed double AR coat them because it adds so much visual pop. Maybe they'll see the light eventually.

I read somewhere that they want the light to reflect off the crystal for a sparkling look.. i dont know if i buy that or not. I also read that it was a durability issue..

Both are the real reasons - appearance & durability. Rolex has always been very slow to adopt new technologies (that they do not own), especially, after the problems they have had over the years with dial paint fading (what many collectors view as a bonus (black-to-brown paint), Rolex views as defective). Remember, unlike the couture watch brands, who make watches that you look after for future generations, Rolex is in the business of selling watches that look good (to Rolex buyers) & function to spec. Period. I suspect their current, limited use of AR (below the cyclops on a few models) is a test to see how it performs 'out-in-the-field' over the next 10-20 years.

Rolex has always been conservative to a fault at times, but it's hard to fault the business model of a company that produces the most recognized watch in the world. Rolex, as someone above posted, sells every watch they produce, without having "fire sales" or discounting (at least at a company level). If you read the history and time line of models such as the 1680 and 1665, visually they have changed very little since the 1960's-70's, however they have made many small changes both externally and internally, but all of these have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary, although to some Rolex fanatics, these changes may appear to be revolutionary.

Rolex has always touted the sports models as being the most rugged and durable watch that you can buy. And, as Chief stated, outside AR on a dive watch used for diving will get scratched. Even though statistically, probably less than 5% of the Rolex Subs and SD's are used for diving, Rolex sells them with the intention that they can be used for diving, even though they probably won't be. So why take the risk that watches will start showing up at dealers with scratched dials and dissatisfied owners. Maybe some day, if enough folks in Rolexes' R&D department can be convinced that they NEED to apply AR to their crystals, they probably will, but I believe that until they reach a point where they need to from a sales prospective, the status will remain Quo.

This is the green AR on a stock milgauss rep.

f12c9c03.jpg

thats not AR

On the gen its a slightly green tinted crystal, on most reps its just a green crystal gasket that gives a green tint to the edge of the crystal... someone correct me if im wrong, but i know its definatly not AR

thats not AR

On the gen its a slightly green tinted crystal, on most reps its just a green crystal gasket that gives a green tint to the edge of the crystal... someone correct me if im wrong, but i know its definatly not AR

I've got a milgauss... I've heard various things about various versions.. I can certainly attest that it is indeed green AR. That would also explain the absence of all reflections of Nakortheblue's crystal in that photo... The crystal itself is not green... although maybe it is on the gen version....

I'm thinking about getting a beater gen DSSD just for diving.

As far as AR on a Rolex, who in their right mind?

to each his own.. I for one think it looks sweet. On the other hand Jojo.. if you're thinking of getting a "beater" gen for diving.. i guess ar wouldn't be practical.

hell.... imho, i don't think getting a gen for "diving" would be practical either.. as there are other, more functional, and cheaper (mechanical and digital) watches that would serve better at diving depth..

then again.... if you're planing on diving to depths of 12,000 ft.. then I guess the gen is your only option.. :whistling: