When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pure AR madness? : Lets see some flames on RWG

gran

Is pure double sided AR madness going on here on RWG?

Is really Antireflective Coating (AR) that important? and

are the geuine owners all crazy about their AR as well?

I guess lume is not expensive, but how important is it???? and how important is a genuine crystal???

we spend money on:

1. Frankens...genuine movements, crowns, bezels, date wheels etc etc..even geuine crystals...for our reps
  2. Lume enough to light up the moon....
  3. Servicing movements...
  4. Straps and bracelets...
  5. buckles and deployments
  6. winders
  7. kits..screws..

and now doubble AR coating across the planet :lol:

It seems ther is no end for us replica geeks...

When is enough enough????? why isnt one side Ar enough????? i know I am ignorant about this but why is it a matter of ligfe and death???

I need a drink..a large drink...this watch stuff is driving me crazy and my wallet is feeling the impact :p

let me hear it.....all thois makes me feel to go the other way today..take a genuine put on datewheel from replica :bangin: ...crystal and other barts and make an franken that way ;)

But maybe its is true that:

The AR coating on the PO is simply great; it can appear that the crystal is missing from the watch altogether. Some people have indicated that they don't like AR coating on the outside of the crystal for the following reasons:

* there is the possibility of it getting scratched off,

* it gives the watch a slight blue tinge when viewed in a bright environment,

* fingerprints and smudges show more prominently on the AR surface.

From personal experience, I have not had any problems with the AR coating on the PO. While it is true that fingerprints are more noticeable on the crystal, I feel that the benefit of having an "invisible" crystal outweighs this detraction.

Seriously

Gunnar :thumbsupsmileyanim: lets all just let get drunk...and the sober up

I think AR simply adds an additional quality and improvement, thus enhancing a watch's aesthetic value. However, I only have the application done when AR should be present in relation to a watch's gen counterpart. i.e. if I'm building a Rolex, I do not have my crystals AR'd as it would be technically incorrect for the watch.

However, that said... If I bought a gen watch that came with an AR crystal as standard, I would probably have the factory coat stripped/removed and redone with Chief's AR. To me, it's worth the cost and level of effort as his AR coating is superior to most of the factory jobs out there.

IMG_9409.jpg

And having had the pleasure of living the chief AR experience, I can absolutely say that I've been spoiled; it would be hard for me to accept anything else...

:)

Ubi, I have to agree totally. I've got a 3717 on my wrist now with double AR (Taka) and it's night and day with all the other crystals I have. I've gotten a ton of complements stating that the watch face "pops right out at you" or that "it's like the glass is missing". I love it, I'm completely spoiled. :)

I think it is important only if the gen counterpart has it. So if the gen 3717 has double AR, then that should be something one "strive" for.

now if you ask me if I would want to get my SMP or SMP chrono, then I would say no. simply because "some" of their gen counterpart do not have AR, imo.

I think in some models the "invisible" crystal AR doesn't look that good, in others it's a must.

Most Swiss manufacturers go with single side AR for the reasons you mentioned (scratches, etc). Some flat crystals don't have AR at all and I would leave them like that.

When selecting pieces to send to Chief for AR I take the gen and legibility of the dial in consideration. There are few pieces that I have removed the outer AR.

One thing is certain, rep AR sucks that's why we get so worked up with aftermarket but I would not add AR to a rep if the gen doesn't have it.

Flames? :Jumpy: While I don't have any AR, I've got plenty of IR (infrared) going on...

Does this count? :tu:

bonfire_goingstrong.jpg

now thats better..ltes have some glow :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wow, with all that IR, I would think you'd need some AR!!

Wrong..youre so wrong chief..they need a drink ..thats waht they need....no lots and lots of beer and norwegian aquavit :drinks:

Takk Gran, og samme til deg! :drinks: Her er min "IR" bilde fra sist helg, at "ikke IR" lavine og MTB tur i fjellet.

turnagain.jpg

bob_avalanche.jpg

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

Tusen takk!!!!

Love that snow..we actually had som snow in fredrikstad on the 4th of may, bit of a surprise really..but gone in a few hours...spring is here

presently in Biarritz France and it is quite warn here..might even swim in the water or just Kajak around with some friends later today