When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help converting WM9 Sub to Plexi - can it be done!

alfe

I've got a great WM9 Sub 2007z series Sub but I can't stand sapphire crystal (too shiny) and yearn to convert it to plexi . Can anyone help? It would be useful if this could be done whilst retaining the waterproof properties of the watch. If, as I suspect, this is an impossible task, does anyone have a very good plexi sub they would be happy to swap for the WM9? Any advice welcome! All the best, Al

Send me your WM9 sub, and i'll send you a brand new swiss eta vintage plexi 1680 submariner in trade!!!

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

...and NO, you cannot put a plexi crystal on that WM9.. not even close.

dizz

Anything can be done with a big enough hammer, torch, and copious amounts of glue!

This started out as a run-of-the-mill $50 16xxxx copy:

rse 1.JPG

Is it correct? - NO!

Is it worth it? - Unless you just have some parts laying around to cobble together, NO!

Is if fun? - Yeah!

Would I do this with something as expensive as a WM9? - HELL NO!

The 16800 Submariner and the 16610 Sub have a number of similarities. One of which is that they both have the same bezel assemblies and take the same crystal (295-C2). And of course, the WM9 subs will also take the same 295-C crystal.

Interestingly, I have run across 16800's at Robert Maron's in LA which they say are early and have an acrylic crystal.

http://robertmaron.com/product.php?productid=16294&cat=0&page=3

I've never seen this anywhere else, and of course, by now you can be sure Rolex no longer makes an acrylic 295-C crystal.

Whether you could take a 1680 T-127 and cut off the sides and make it work, who knows. OD of a T-127 is around 30.5 which matches a 295-C. Now the 295-C has a lip, which reduces the lower diameter to 29.5mm, hence 295 and the C stands for cyclops. They use a plain 295 on watches like the Daytona 16520 which has no date.

Whether you could make a plastic crystal work by cutting off the sides would be purely experimental. You could certainly buy a cheap T-127 from Clark watch supply or Ofrei and give it a try.

I would not rely on Bob Maron to be... 'ahem' a reputible source of watches. I've seen a number of odd and questionable things advertised for sale on their site; either mis-referenced (such as a plastic crystal 16800, which doesn't exist), or flat out incorrect watches being sold as original when they are clearly not :)

Granted, he does have some decent stuff every now and then, I am just not confident that they do their due diligence on all of their offerings.

Hi, thanks for all the interesting advice. I'm a little nervous about experimenting on the WM9 and would probably cobble something bad together - and it wouldn't be waterproof. It's a pity because it's such a nice watch, well made and keeps great time - a plexi crystal would make it perfect. Need time to consider this fully and might go for a trade. All the best Al

If you're set on having an acrylic/plexi crystal Submariner, I would highly recommend getting the appropriate watch to go with it (in this case, that would be a 1680 for Date or 5513 for no date). That would be the best approach.

If you do want to try retrofitting an acrylic crystal to a modern 16610-style Sub, you can also purchase an acrylic sheet from one of the parts suppliers, and some (like Jules Borel) will even cut to your specification I believe. I would just recommend doing this on a watch that is not a WM9 ;) Maybe go for one of the lower cost CN Subs instead....

If your only concern is just the glare why not consider AR coating it. I'm sure chieftang could chime in. Just my 2 cents...

Reelmin

(Fish on!!!)