When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-V Case project - Lates Pics on Page 4

Watchmeister

No. I have to get the case returned from the last person who turned down the project and follow the next lead. Another member has been good enough to provide me with a new lead so I will pursue that. Still looking for the CNC person who has a six-axis machine who will do a small run. What I have learned is that just because you can do precision CNC work (circuit boards, etc.) doesn't mean you have the capability to do a case.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Me too : :victory:

Hi kruzer ,

when you say : "The owner of the shop couldn't have been nicer and spent a couple of hours analyzing the requirements. He concluded he didn't have the appropriate machine. In spite of the fact he does a lot of hi tech stuff he doesn't have any machine above a 4 axis. He let me know I need a 6 axis machine (suggested Citizen "Screw" Machine)and that it would require being able to to take 2.75" steel bar as feed."

Can this help ?

http://www.marucit.com/apps/articles/cncwest/pmjs-xx5.html

or this one :

http://www.rkmachinery.com/CitizenL20-2003.htm

....come on gentlemen , we have not to just "put our name" sit and wait that theses holy grails fall from the sky , but we have to give an helping hand to kruzer in order to see the conclusion of this quest soon !

Still Hang On Watchmeister , dont let it go ...dont let it go

this will be HISTORICAL , Together we CAN make it happen !!! :drinks:

Hope springs eternal

Dan

post-30352-062341200 1285717450.jpg

post-30352-097492700 1285717487.jpg

post-30352-005490900 1285717517.jpg

I think this job requires a 5 axis machine, not 6, and that is only if you're going to cut the whole case out of a block of steel.

Aren't watch cases first pressed out in a die, machined where needed, and then polished?

If that's the case, a die (possibly progressive, I'm not sure) would have to be made, and that isn't cheap in the West!

Do you have the proper CAD files in order to program the case for a CNC to cut the geometry, or will you have a case digitized so someone can create that geometry that is so much needed?

Not every watch case is machined from a solid block, only the very simple ones.

I'm really curious about the method that you plan to use... This has to be determined first before you start poking down the wrong road, or you may be poking forever, or worse, spend much more money than needed.

I'd say generate a manufacturing plan, investigate info on cases such as this would be manufactured conventionally, and then head down that path.

• 1 month later...

Update:

For those that are following the project, it is still very much alive. The case is now coming back to Watchmeister from the last CNC shop that cannot mill this size item from 316L billet. After that it's coming to me as I will be taking over the effort. I will do regular check-ins at 1month marks to keep everyone up to date on the progress.

Update:

For those that are following the project, it is still very much alive. The case is now coming back to Watchmeister from the last CNC shop that cannot mill this size item from 316L billet. After that it's coming to me as I will be taking over the effort. I will do regular check-ins at 1month marks to keep everyone up to date on the progress.

Great news, I am in for one!

Update:

Kudos to Wolf for taking this on. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

wow, simply amazing, I on the other hand am looking for a shop which can do the CNC, wolf, can you let me know the specs, I work with a lot of factories in Mexico, which can be lower in cost as well, I am starting my quest for the factory but need to know what kind of specs the factory needs to be able to do the process, once I find it, then we can see the costs and how it looks!!!

Let me know!

• 3 weeks later...