When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-V Case project - Lates Pics on Page 4

Watchmeister

Manuals always have crystals that sit higher with respect to the bezel... it's more of an auto vs. manual thing than a pre-V thing...

No not really, at least I didn't find it to be.

You can take the gen PAM196 chrono for example and compare it to a 111. The xtal on 196 sits considerably higher over the bezel line compared to a manual 111.

It's actually bezels that are higher on Autos to accommodate higher and thicker hands stacks, as well as xtals ;-)

Edited by babola

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No not really, at least I didn't find it to be.

You can take the gen PAM196 chrono for example and compare it to a 111. The xtal on 196 sits considerably higher over the bezel line compared to a manual 111.

It's actually bezels that are higher on Autos to accommodate higher and thicker hands stacks, as well as xtals ;-)

I think it is more to accommodate the thicker movement, than the higher hand set.

What series is that 088, in those comparison shots?

I think it is more to accommodate the thicker movement, than the higher hand set.

The thicker movement is accommodated by deeper/thicker case, this is easy to measure by calipers. Extra bezel thickness is probably adding to the mix but is mainly thicker to allow 3-4 piece hand stacks on GMTs and autos with central seconds to move freely under the DW cyclop without getting stuck. You can trust me on this as I tried to "cheat" in the past with different auto/manual case/bezel combos which simply wouldn't work.

What series is that 088, in those comparison shots?

Volker doesn't mention it in his post, judging by the CG type it should be pre-G series.

There is no question that crystal heights vary fairly dramatically by model, type and even by year. And the comment about automatics having taller bezels to accomodate taller handstacks and a cyclops is true as well. But not as much as most people think. Many of the auto reps "cheat" by lengthening the bezel to allow additional room but also to get the magnification with their lower grade cyclops better. In playing around with all the 2893/2 frankens I have always had to resort to a gen bezel to get proper date magnification with a gen crystal. The higher height in the rep bezels leaves you with too much magnification.

I have studied a fair number of gen Pre-V pictures and had the benefit of seeing 4-5 different gens in the flesh. Although all of the models have significant crystal "pop" it varies fairly dramatically. It is not like there was any consistency from one model to another in those early models. Even the basic cases can be fairly different. On crystal height I spoke with Ziggy and we have decided to lower the crystal just a smidge but leaving 90% of the "pop" you see now.

The other thing I would like to bring up is fitment with Jacob's casebacks. I have several high quality cases that Jacob's cb would not fit on. It would be a shame to make this, and then have the best caseback out there not fit. Just a thought............

All you Pre-V folks, please chime in and let me know what you think of the crystal height. As Ziggy has said he can lower it further. I am not sure what to do. bear in mind that the crystal in my pics is a gen and I don't really know how a standard rep crystal we would use would compare in height.

Spot on - especially is using a gen as reference

Now if someone could make a copy of that gen xtal as well we'd be taking it up a level further ;)

Opcrowns new crown is an excellent choice for Pre-V models as it has that extra thickness

Hands are due in June and I plan to make more dials in June /July

W - huge kudos to you for this :good:

FGD

Stunning!

Between Simon's genius and this I am dumbfounded

(not to mention Jakob's damn perfect casebacks!)

Now if we can get V to make another run of GC's to match Tourby's new spring loaders

What talented individuals :thumbsupsmileyanim:

hey man.. i know its still not done yet.. and i think most ppl know that im still looking for a good pre-v case for along time.. but do you by chance know how much is the case going to cost (approx?) in the end? i will definitely take one tho.. im not on here much at all anymore but ill check back every now and then.. so would it b possible if you pm me when its done? i will definitely take 1 even if it means selling all of my reps as i want to finish my 202 project :(

Unfortunately I don't yet know how much the case will cost. I know the cost of making the prototype. It is only then that I can get the per case quote and then it will vary a little based on the level of interest (i.e.quantity). So it is my intention to come back and show the prototype with a price and solicit the level of interest.

Unfortunately I don't yet know how much the case will cost. I know the cost of making the prototype. It is only then that I can get the per case quote and then it will vary a little based on the level of interest (i.e.quantity). So it is my intention to come back and show the prototype with a price and solicit the level of interest.

W - if 50% of the people who picked up my dials take 1 case each then "interest" should be into triple figures.

Just to throw something into the debate - it's my understanding that with a single lug screw system this would be a totlly accurate case for 5218-209 , 5218-210 and Pre-A OP6500 models (001,002,003,004,009,010)

If correct this should have a bearing on the level of "interest" so I'd welcome any clarification from "The Sages"!

Cheers

FGD

...it's my understanding that with a single lug screw system this would be a totlly accurate case for ... Pre-A OP6500 models (001,002,003,004,009,010)

If correct this should have a bearing on the level of "interest" so I'd welcome any clarification from "The Sages"!

Cheers

FGD

Unfortunately not, mate. The pre-A cases come with sloping corners and lugs which are also elongated and thinner.

I would almost say they're dramatically different from pre-V cases and closer to a more contemporary 44mm Luminor case style.

Gen pre-A 001 pics:

13-1.jpg

18.jpg

There may have been some leftover cases from OP before Vendome buyout, though. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the pre-A 001/002 came in 'chunky' pre-V cases as well.

Either or, the case W is making is one of the best mech Pam alrounder at the moment and should provide a nice fit for mods of many different series.

cheers,

b

I am no expert on Pre-A cases but I picked this particular base case based on the least curvature on the case edges along with the lugs. That is what strikes me as the most salient differences between Pre-V and contemporary. Also on the Pre-V one of the advantages of the 2 screw system is that it requires no threading in the lugs but it also means I can't just swap out the strap pins. I just hope people like what they see out of the prototype or I will have one very expensive one-of-a-kind. :bangin:

It should be on the way back from Rob and then off to the CNC person.