When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD V5.9 Swiss ETA 2836-2 from Trevor Time

plaifender

Obviously you didn't completely read my earlier post and just picked out certain things. WE certainly do know the serial # of the watch in Lani's review! If you look at the pictures in Lani's review, as I stated earlier, there is a picture of the new, bright watch that shows the serial # M646829. That is the SAME watch that BK sells!

If you want to know how myths start, they start when people spread untrue, unresearched, opinions as fact! Things like "No matter how good BK is, he can not "Mod" the Stainless Steel on his watch to be the same color as Trevor's." Implying that the steel color of BKs watch is inferior to Trevor's. WE don't know that to be true, do WE? WE have not seen them together before, have WE? I did my research when I decided to order a DSSD. I read all the reviews and looked at all the pictures I could find and had conversations with BK talking about the different versions of steel. After seeing plaifender's comparison pictures of M660304 watches and Lani's comparison pictures of M646829 watches, I came to the conclusion that both factories produced watches with two different grades of steel, and both factories are now producing watches with the brighter steel. This doesn't mean it's the exact same steel, but both have had dull steel watches and now have bright watches. I bought the BK watch because it used the same steel as Lani's "316F" watch.

I am not trying to convince you that you should have ordered BK's watch over Trevor's. Trevor's watch appears to be a fine watch. Also, you will not see any threads posted by me degrading, in any way, Trevor's version. Again, I just want everyone to realize that Trevor's watch is not the ONLY watch using bright steel and that BKs watch is the same serial # and bright steel as is Lani's review watch! Lani got those watches from Josh. Josh sells noob. BK sells noob. Same steel. If you don't beleive me, ask BK if Josh gets better steel than he does.

Ah - Good eyes mj - didn't see that. Glad to know BK's watch is is sourced from the same place as Lani's. One step closer to figuring it out. Lots of words, but I am still not sure what your point is. Earlier you said "The Trevor's is brighter than BK's" argument is a myth, and unless someone can show me a comparison of Trevor's watch and BK's watch, which shows Trevor's is, in fact, brighter, I don't believe it."

I am not sure how you came to that conclusion since no one knows for sure and even BK agrees it could be true. Not to mention that I do read what your write... and I am still wondering why, after earlier in this thread having been admonished about coming on a thread that is about Trevor's watch, questioning his quality and providing directions to BK's site, you don't understand that it is just plain bad thread etiquette to come on a thread about one dealers watch, question it and make statements inferring that anyone considering the watch should go to another dealer.

May I suggest you make your comments HERE in your BK ROCKS! thread. It is obvious you don't read your own thread. Notice no one is going on your thread and saying you should really consider Trevor's watch....

Edited by jake48

Ah - Good eyes mj - didn't see that. Glad to know BK's watch is is sourced from the same place as Lani's. One step closer to figuring it out. Lots of words, but I am still not sure what your point is. Earlier you said "The Trevor's is brighter than BK's" argument is a myth, and unless someone can show me a comparison of Trevor's watch and BK's watch, which shows Trevor's is, in fact, brighter, I don't believe it."

I am not sure how you came to that conclusion since no one knows for sure and even BK agrees it could be true. Not to mention that I do read what your write... and I am still wondering why, after earlier in this thread having been admonished about coming on a thread that is about Trevor's watch, questioning his quality and providing directions to BK's site, you don't understand that it is just plain bad thread etiquette to come on a thread about one dealers watch, question it and make statements inferring that anyone considering the watch should go to another dealer.

May I suggest you make your comments HERE in your BK ROCKS! thread. It is obvious you don't read your own thread. Notice no one is going on your thread and saying you should really consider Trevor's watch....

OK...Look. I'm certainly not knocking Trevor's watch. Where did I ever question Trevor's watch? In fact, I've gone out of my way to do just the opposite and state his watch appears to be a fine product and the fact that he has such a loyal following says a lot.

I was politely pointing out that I considered it a myth that Trevor's watch was brighter than BK's. I never said Trevor's watch is, in any way, inferior to BK's. Furthermore, I doubt Trevor would even state that his watch is made of a brighter steel than BKs.

The reason I posted this in this thread is to counter what I consider misinformation about BK's offering in your post just before mine. And while we are talking about that post, tell me, is it good thread etiquette to bash a seller's product in a thread not about him? I have been posting, off and on, for many years and I defy you to find a single instance where I bad mouth any dealer, or their product.

I believe it is every members responsibility to the community to be as honest and forward as possible in any thread, regardless of why it was started, and to point out what they see as inaccuracies. That's what I was trying to do here.

I am not saying you are purposefully misleading anyone, I was simply trying to point out what I saw as incorrect and unfair statements toward on of our trusted dealer's products. Again, I have nothing bad to say about Trevor or his products. Hell, I was very close to ordering his DSSD instead of BKs.

This will be my last post in this thread, because I believe I have made my point pretty clear and I believe most people reading will understand what I am saying even you don't seem to.

I wish you luck with your DSSD purchase and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. I'm sure it will be a wonderful watch.

-Mike

Also, good news, checked USPS tracking and Trevor's watch has cleared Customs. Should have it tomorrow. I will check with some of the guys in my area and see if anyone has a BK DSSD or a DSSD that shares BK's serial number. Hope I can find one to compare :)

If you could do that it would be great! That should clerify and sheed some light on this matter.

I think it is a bit like Jkay said a few posts ago. Maybe all new DSSD are made of the same steel, and that someone found ETZ old stock that was made of an even brighter steel and are now selling those. If jake48 can take a comparison pic that should clear things up a bit.

Oh, I didnt mean that Trevor is selling old stock from ETz .. these are definitely new 2010 versions of the Eurotimez v5. Altho, you know what ... someone posted approval pics of their Trevor DSSD on the 5th in this thread and it looks to me like a 2009 model so THAT might be old stock. I have definitely seen Trevor approval pics of the 2010 v5 tho .. so it's new production as well.

I think we're all going steel crazy, my point was the reliably of a seller and I hope trevor is, but BK has a proven reputation and for some people the risk of getting a dud is a waste of money.

Just to throw in a bit more debate take a look at this link.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/response-thinkbachs-review-current-dssds-59108.html

WOW... This thread has seen quite a lively last 24 hours! I hope I'm not the cause of any kind of misconceptions or misleadings here.

In order to be very clear about my comparison shots. The darker steel version that I had was bought second-hand from a member here on the board. The original souce of this watch is unconfirmed, but was sold to me simply as a "V5". When I ordered trevor's watch, I actually had no idea that the trevor's watch was going to appear brighter than the current "V5" in my possession. Upon arrival, it was quite clear to me that Trevor's watch was a bit lighter colored than the "V5" I had. Both watches then received a rebrushing and polishing with a capecod cloth. After rebrushing I took comparison photos.

My photos are not in any way trying to compare the "brightness" or "quality" of the steel. Both steels are quite shiny and look spectacular. I can only say that trevor's watch is a LIGHTER color than my previous version. After a rebrushing and capecod treatment any watch will certainly be brighter, but a rebrushing and polishing will not change the color of any steel. To be honest, the difference in color is quite minimal and ONLY visible under certain lighting conditions and holding BOTH watches in your hand.

I cannot speak to BK's version or have I ever at any point compared trevor's version to Bk's offering. I'm happy with trevor's watch, and I'm very confident that BK also sells a very good product, but I cannot tell or speak about the quality or color of BK's version unless my previous version coincidently happened to be the same version as BK's current offering unbeknownst to me.

I worked quite hard to get trevor here on the board because I had a very positive experience with him and accordingly communicated with the admins about the possibility of becoming a dealer here. Trevor also asked this of me, and I gladly accepted putting a positive review of my experience with him after consulting first with the admins of the board. He shortly thereafter became a dealer on the board after my review.

I don't claim or have I ever claimed that trevor's watch is the best version available, I did lots of research before buying from him and his price point was what pushed me over the edge. I can't attest that sometimes faulty products won't be shipped out on his part, but that with my dealings with him, most importantly he will try to put things correct when they happen to go wrong. As with most trusted dealers here, it's not the qc that makes them trusted.. it's their willingness to correct mistake that makes them trusted here on the board.

I hope this served as some clarification for some of you that might have misinterpreted or misread my original post. If anyone has any specific questions they would like to ask me about my experience with trevor please use this thread as the place to do so. Otherwise you can also discreetly send me a pm or email through the forum and I will do my best to give you an unbiased and objective response.

-Fender

Got the watch today. Checked with three of my Rep collecting buddies and all three of them got rid of their Noob DSSD's. One of my friends has a Gen DSSD and I thought it would good to post a few pictures of the two side by side, but it got late so we had to schedule a meet in a few days. Don't worry though, HERE is a great review that just went up and I think this is one of Trevor's watches. Sure does look exactly like mine. Parga did a great job of highlighting the differences between the two watches and I concur with what he wrote. It really is just a few minor things that make the watch less than 100%, but it is dang close. I too noticed that the hour marker rings, as they are SS and not white gold, do not quite have the shine of the Gen. Additionally, for me, I noticed the polish on the edge of the Gen bezel has that little extra shine that you just can't seem to get 100% with a Rep.

Some one in parga's thread mentioned the bezel insert hight in relation to the bezel (Rep insert sits a little too high). On mine it really is not that much different than the Gen. If it were any higher I would just pop out the bezel insert and shave it a little to lower it. I have done this to many of Rolex Reps, it's real easy, but this one would not be worth the effort as it is so close. It would take a 10x loupe to see it, or running your finger nail across the insert to the outside edge of the bezel to feel it. Not really much of a deal, especially when you compare the pearl to the Gen - and none of the watches have this right. Trevor's pearl is a little flat, but I used an old trick to fix that already. Hold the watch upside down and with a 10x loupe and a steady hand, lightly touch the brush from a clear lacquer finger nail polish bottle to the pearl. Keep the watch upside down for a few minutes to allow the lacquer finger nail polish to dry and you will end up with a very nice domed clear coat over the pearl. the more layers you add, the more domed you can make the pearl. Mine took one application. This simple mod makes the pearl really close to the Gen look and if it ever gets damaged, it is real easy to redo. Make sure you use LACQUER polish not acrylic as lacquer is much harder and when it dries you can even polish it a little to give it that extra shine.

As far as the rest of the watch, it is a "Good one" Trevor delivered as promised, the watch has the latest and greatest upgrades and certainly has the "Bright" SS. The date is centered perfect in the date window on all dates and the only real issue I saw was some minor scuffing and light scratching on the left side of the case. The scratches polished out easy enough and it wasn't that big of a deal. I guess I am just used to always finding something wrong with a new Rep watch as it seems to go hand in hand in the Rep world - there's always something....

Overall, Trevor deliver as promised. The transaction was straight forward, he answered his emails promptly and I got exactly what I had asked for. Given that Trevor has one of the better prices for a DSSD with all the latest and greatest upgrades, I feel you can't go wrong with ordering from him if you are in the market for a DSSD and I am very pleased.

I am sorry I didn't get the pictures up today, but I will post a few before the end of next week for sure.

I'm a fan of the DSSD having had three; the pre 316f ult, the v5 (my example was utter crap) and now the 316f ult (but with flat top 12 marker - not the current noob 'ult'). What i don't understand is which one of Trevors you're all talking bout. The expensive one at his site, the one he calls the ultimate, seems the same josh currently sells?

Is it the one down further down the list for $225 you're talking about? Maybe its worth adding to my collection for the thin hour marker edges...

Also any close-ups of the the clasp thumbnail definition? That's one thing my first ult had over both the v5 and my current ult, it was much deeper and better defined.

edit: oh, and does it take rolex spring (2mm) spring bars or normal ones like the v5?

Cheers!

What i don't understand is which one of Trevors you're all talking bout. The expensive one at his site, the one he calls the ultimate, seems the same josh currently sells?

Is it the one down further down the list for $225 you're talking about? Maybe its worth adding to my collection for the thin hour marker edges...

The $338 is the Noobfactory/BK/Cartel Ultimate v3-5 .. you can tell by the bad |10 | , the fat hour markers, and the missing piece in the diver's extension. I assume Trevor never updated his pics after the Noobfactory finally fixed the |10 | bezel insert.

The $225 is the one they are talking about here in this thread and the one which was compared to the gen DSSD yesterday in another thread.

Jake,

I know I said I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but I should have said I wasn't going to post about the topic we were discussing.

I just wanted to comment on your watch. I'm glad you got a good one. It looks very nice and your pearl mod looks great too. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Our previous conversation has got me contemplating getting one of Trevor's to do a compare with BK's. I'd really like to see the differences side by side.

Anyway, enjoy your new toy.

-Mike

The $338 is the Noobfactory/BK/Cartel Ultimate v3-5 .. you can tell by the bad |10 | , the fat hour markers, and the missing piece in the diver's extension. I assume Trevor never updated his pics after the Noobfactory finally fixed the |10 | bezel insert.

The $225 is the one they are talking about here in this thread and the one which was compared to the gen DSSD yesterday in another thread.

Wait wait..the cheaper version is the best???

Is this even better then BKs version??

Lol what a thread this turned into...Well if its any help I got my Ultimate with correct bezel a while ago from Josh and its got the correct divers extension. The peal isn't flat like the one pictured from trevor. The hour markers are not flat either. Steel is F i think (the later one "shiner" whatever), I had it on at the airport and went and compared it to the Gen :-D, it looked pretty close. Granted the bezel isnt as nice and sits proud and the pearl isnt as nice. If you don't want to cry when you scratch it to bits or smash the crystal when you fall over drunk or someone steals it off you then you really can't go wrong with either of the models, and joe blogs who isn't a rolex expert isn't going to know, as long as "it doesn't tick!" lol ;-D oh and that damned 10 marker haha.

Thread n pics of mine here is thats any use.

p.s. If you want one you know is going to be 100% perfect go get a Gen from an AD, you can get 0% finance deals from a lot of them (in UK anyway). Frankly tho i'd be [censored] off if I spent 5k+ and scratched it or smashed it somehow, then the repair bill from rolex would be more than the rep just for the crystal or bracelet....

p.p.s Just seen last post, mine is waterproof (its been down to 20-25 meters) and washed under tap with fairy liquid to get it all nice n clean after the salt water.

Edited by kamber

Just to confirm, double check, be 100% and be really certain.

The 225 model is the BEST on Trevors page??

http://www.trevortime.info/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=33

Seems strange since the Ult model is 338USD :g:

http://www.trevortime.info/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=3903

About to pull the trigger!

Just to confirm, double check, be 100% and be really certain.

The 225 model is the BEST on Trevors page??

About to pull the trigger!

Eurotimez used to sell it for $400 with ETA, concepta. Don't tell Trevor, tho :)

As for the BEST? The Noobfactory and the Trevor DSSDs each have their own small problems. It's a toss-up, really. Look at the thread from 2 days ago with the comparison of this watch and the gen. I have always preferred the slim hour markers on the Trevor dial to the fat (not flat, as someone else mis-read LOLOLOL) markers of the Noobfactory/Cartel dial.

I received my DSSD from Trevor: Wonderful watch, best service.

But what about waterproofness of this watch? Did anyone checked it already?

Always check for yourself. Even if a watch is supposed to be waterproof, there could be a bad gasket and then it leaks. Always check! I wear mine swimming and showering (to wash it!) for 14 months now with no problems.

OH OH I just remembered .. right from the factory, the HEV (valve in the side of the watch) leaks! Do not wear this in water until you close the valve with epoxy on the inside.

Eurotimez used to sell it for $400 with ETA, concepta. Don't tell Trevor, tho :)

As for the BEST? The Noobfactory and the Trevor DSSDs each have their own small problems. It's a toss-up, really. Look at the thread from 2 days ago with the comparison of this watch and the gen. I have always preferred the slim hour markers on the Trevor dial to the fat (not flat, as someone else mis-read LOLOLOL) markers of the Noobfactory/Cartel dial.

OK..but the 225 is supposed to be the better then the 338?

Lol what a thread this turned into...Well if its any help I got my Ultimate with correct bezel a while ago from Josh and its got the correct divers extension. The peal isn't flat like the one pictured from trevor. The hour markers are not flat either.

Hi kamber. You're para-phrasing me. Let me be clear. The Noobfactory/Cartel DSSD photograph on Trevor's site is old. It's a photo of the Noobfactory v3 from early 2009. My comments were directed at this photo. Not at the current Noobfactory improved model. I was not implying that the current Noobfactory DSSD was still as bad as the early 2009 v3 version.

The hour markers are **fat** not flat. The "white gold" hour markers which hold the lume material are too fat, and always have been on the noob model.

As for the diver's extension, the Noobfactory never correctly reproduced it in the v3 model. It's missing the bar which holds the assembly closed. Again, I am looking at the OLD photo and commenting on the OLD photo.

I was simply stating how I recognized this "ultimate" $335 model as the Noobfactory-Cartel v3/v5-BK watch.