When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD V5.9 Swiss ETA 2836-2 from Trevor Time

plaifender

Got my DSSD last week from a non-approved dealer. I love it. Decided to take a risk going with a non-approved dealer, but It arrived safe and well protected:

I've had the V5 asian for a while now.. (bought it used from another member here) and I wanted to take the plunge. I was interested in eurotimez.. but didn't wanna have to wait 4 months for a watch.. I then started thinking about the Ultimate.. but couldn't justify the difference in price compared to eurotimez.

A few things I noticed right off the bat. The watch's finish is definitely brighter than my previous DSSD and it really stands out in certain light. The bezel is great despite the pearl being a teeny bit flat. The dial finish is not Glossy like my previous watch.. it's distinctly semi-glossy. Big difference from my last DSSD. The "OGEV" and "RLS" engravings on this watch are almost perfect. it's hard to capture it in the photos.... but it looks better and more even in person than in the photos.

Photos:

(in reality.. the "RLS" engraving on the bottom looks perfect.. this photo has a slight angle to it i guess! The "R" and the "M" are even in reality)

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

old V5steel DSSD on left new steel dssd on the right:

IMG_1325.jpg

again.. old V5 on the left new one on the right: (notice the font is slightly bolder on the new one.. not sure if it's more accurate.. but i think it looks great!)

IMG_1333.jpg

That's about it. Just thought I'd share with you guys. Again.. if anyone can offer insight as to which version I have.. great.. if not.. I don't really care! There's too many damn versions of this watch as it is. This one seems just fine to me! :)

-Plai

I shall never tell a soul! :whistling:

:animal_rooster:TELL US, or the rooster gets it!!! Haha, it definitely looks like one of the best versions ive seen. The sheen on the steel is alot nicer as well. Looks well made Plai. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thats Trevors $225 V5. Thats my guess. I say this because I've been eyeing that watch on trevors site.

Trevors a trusted dealer on RWI, if you want to see the watch im talking about heres the link. Looks pretty good to me, as does Fenders new one. Nice sheen, for sure!

http://www.trevortime.info/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=u5d1rm76l2ibabclqdvo8s8f33

that's a good one

furthermore does somebody know if the correct size is 44 or 43 mm because the official rolex site reports 44 mm that week

Correct size is 43mm.. but recently i've been seeing a shift to publish 44mm.. I'd say it's closer to 44 than 43mm judging by how it wears on my wrist..

To all others. I will definitely let you all know who the source is really soon! I didn't want to open up a can of worms on the forum about a new dealer. Sometimes it's better for the dealer and community to let things happen slowly. and not in floods... :) I also want to speak with the dealer about his status with mods and admins here before i go recommending anyone.. Thanks for the understanding!! Stay tuned!

-Plai

Given that the case is angled - wider at the bottom than at the top with the bezel - this may account for the differences in claims over diameter of 43mm or 44mm. Will depend where you measure it . where across the top, and at what height on the case side.

Now - who is this dealer then????

Just FYI, a normal DSSD v5 polishes up that brightly with Cape Cod polishing cloth. It's all in the finish.

It certainly is a good colored lume. I can see it brightly glowing there, in daylight.

Hey Jkay...

For your info... The normal V5 on my wrist in the picture is brushed and polished with a refinishing pad and a cape cod polishing cloth!!... it's not the brightness it's the color... The new one I have is distinctly brighter colored steel.

That's unusual. I suppose the color correction of the photograph is fooling me. My DSSD brightened up spectacularly after just a simple cleaning with Cape Cod; no re-finishing pad was used. I can't compare it directly with your new watch so I can't know unequivocally.

From dull "gray" steel to almost silver was a big leap for a simple wipe-down.

@ Jkay: Neither is dull gray. Both of my watches are quite shiny. The photo is highlighting the fact that the darker steel is a different steel than the newer version that I have.... The newer lighter color watch appears to possibly be "316f" steel. :)

It looks fantastic, bro, would you mind sharing the source?

Looks great. As you said the engravings are nearly perfect. Very nice piece. Now spill the beans....where did it come from?

Niiiice one R! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I might have to take the plunge for yet another one of those.. :g:

:animal_rooster:TELL US, or the rooster gets it!!! Haha, it definitely looks like one of the best versions ive seen. The sheen on the steel is alot nicer as well. Looks well made Plai. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Pleeeease let us know the source ;) I really need to replace my old V3.

Thats Trevors $225 V5. Thats my guess. I say this because I've been eyeing that watch on trevors site.

Trevors a trusted dealer on RWI, if you want to see the watch im talking about heres the link. Looks pretty good to me, as does Fenders new one. Nice sheen, for sure!

http://www.trevortime.info/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=33&osCsid=u5d1rm76l2ibabclqdvo8s8f33

VERY CORRECT :)

that's a good one

furthermore does somebody know if the correct size is 44 or 43 mm because the official rolex site reports 44 mm that week

plaifender you are killing everybody here ! The suspens is unbearable :D

plaifinder - that is not very friendly.... give it up....

Given that the case is angled - wider at the bottom than at the top with the bezel - this may account for the differences in claims over diameter of 43mm or 44mm. Will depend where you measure it . where across the top, and at what height on the case side.

Now - who is this dealer then????

Ok Everyone..... Sorry for the suspense.. but as promised I am sharing the dealer with you. I wanted to check with the admins before dropping a name. The dealer is Trevor. His version of the DSSD is unique and appears to be a quite nice V5.X with 316f steel. Another thing that distinguishes this watch is it's ever-so-slightly darker/bolder Ring Lock engravings.

You can find his website here: hxxp://www.trevortime.info/catalog/

He will take pictures of the actual watch before shipment as well. I reccomend you buy from him through email and not through his online checkout system. As the price might possibly be different if you mention that you are an RWG member or that you were recommended by me :) I had a great transaction with him and the watch arrived at my door here in Madrid, Spain only 6 days after ordering.

Trevor might possibly be opening a storefront in the near future here on RWG.

@ Jkay: Neither is dull gray. Both of my watches are quite shiny.

I was referring to my own V5 .. that cleaning it took it from dark to bright silver. I wasn't talking about your watches at all.

The Cape Cod cloth was black when I was done.

I was referring to my own V5 .. that cleaning it took it from dark to bright silver. I wasn't talking about your watches at all.

The Cape Cod cloth was black when I was done.

Oh I see. Yeah mine too. My cloth was completely black also.. but that's normal with capecod. The black color on the cloth has nothing to do with how "dull" or "dirty" your watch is. It's simply oxidation from the steel.

This color difference is NOT easy to see unless you have both versions in your hand to compare against each other. Even then it's not easy to see without the perfect lighting conditions. Especially, if you have a nicely refinished and polished bracelet on the older version watch, like mine is :)

Plaifender,

I see there is only one DSSD sold on Trevor site. Were you referring to this one? Thanks!

Yes, He only offers one dssd. and it is the DSSD that you see my pics. If you email him personally he'll do QC and send you pictures of the watch before shipment. I'm not sure if this service is available if you pay through his website... Buy from him with confidence and tell him that you were referred to him by Ryan/Plaifender. :)