When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

All You Tudor Builders or Wanabe Tudor Builders

jmb

I was haggling over an order to my "parts guy" for some movements, bands, and hands and mentioned I was building up some Tudors by buying some cheap reps with 34mm cases and cannibalizing the cases. He told me he could source me some decent quality Prince Date style 34mm cases fairly reasonable so I ordered a couple samples to evaluate. I should get them in a couple of weeks and will post them for comment. I suppose they could also be used to construct a proper sized Air-King and other 34mm cased watches as well.

I ran across these AK's over at RG yesterday

http://www.idolreplicas.com/rolex-air-king-precision-automatic-with-white-dial-gold-marking-vintage-edition-replica-watch--35712.html

Date mag may be a wee bit shy, and I would think you can beat this price, JB, knowing your affinity for price consciousness, but they do look interesting.

Was a vintage Explorer I ever in a 34mm case?

Yes, there was. Strange and never before (or since) situation in Rolex history: it's the only case in which the same reference was used for two models, Air King and Explorer. It was the 5500 ref., you can find it both with Explorer and with Air King dials. The Exp dial is a bit different from the 1016: I mean, the graphic and font are more or less the same, but it had no COSC, but "Precision" written on the dial. And, of course, it was smaller than 1016.

Edited by elepaolo

Yes, there was. Strange and never before (or since) situation in Rolex history: it's the only case in which the same reference was used for two models, Air King and Explorer. It was the 5500 ref., you can find it both with Explorer and with Air King dials. The Exp dial is a bit different from the 1016: I mean, the graphic and font are more or less the same, but it had no COSC, but "Precision" written on the dial. And, of course, it was smaller than 1016.

I have wondered. Silix sells a vintage that is 34mm. It looks really good except that it doesn not have the "Swiss - T < 25" or whatever on it.