When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

25 Year Old Submariner Rep

sfa437

The advances in replica watch production are INSANE!

This Rolex Sub was bought circa 1985-86 on Canal St in NYC. At the time it was the top-of-the-line with an automatic where 99.9% of the other reps were quartz powered.

That being said- I can even begin to start describing the "tells" on this one. Everything is wrong from the stainless steel plated case to the non-magnifying cyclops. Rather than point everything out here are some photos for you guys to have fun with :D

100_2560.jpg

100_2561.jpg

100_2564.jpg

100_2566.jpg

100_2565.jpg

100_2578.jpg

100_2577.jpg

Here it is opposite the Rolex Super Seadweller:

100_2573.jpg

So the next time you're complaining about a wokky rehaut or incorrect date font- refer back here to see how bad things used to be!

Edited by sfa437

lol!

Is that a vintage piece now? ;):p

Pretty amazing how far we've come, and some of the new stuff is so good it's as good as, if not better than, gen. (I hear the Breitling AR on some v3 watches looks better than gen!)

I'm going to be the odd one out here.

I think despite all the inaccuracies that is not a bad rep for 25 years ago, hell it's a decent rep if it was only 10 years old.

I'm pretty sure you got to do a fair bit of digging on Canal Street, even today, before you get past far worse reps...aaannndd...it's still going.

I hope all my far more accurate reps are still ticking in 25 years.

Ken

"This Rolex Sub was bought circa 1985-86 on Canal St in NYC."

It has a Seagull ST16 in it and being from the mid 1980s, it means the ST16 has been around longer than I thought.

I have a steel DJ with ST16 from late 1990s/early 2000 from a dealer called 'Cal' (it was $55). Up until now, the DJ was the oldest ST16 I had seen.

"This Rolex Sub was bought circa 1985-86 on Canal St in NYC."

It has a Seagull ST16 in it and being from the mid 1980s, it means the ST16 has been around longer than I thought.

I have a steel DJ with ST16 from late 1990s/early 2000 from a dealer called 'Cal' (it was $55). Up until now, the DJ was the oldest ST16 I had seen.

wow! i remember having one of them it looked good but soon turned my wrist green or black cant remember which, mine was automatic and cost 15£ in the uk but they were exchanging hands for between 50 and 100£ in the mid 1980s fake rolex and a luxuary car keytag and a mobile phone the size of a house brick!was the in thing! Ha Ha these rolexes are the real fake watches not todays solid stainless steel,swiss movement and version 5 plus, plus water resist watches! we never had it so good today! when people complain about there new replica watch they should see these watches to see how there were then!

Edited by aeromatic

Another rep from the same time period (mid-80s), but from the opposite end of the (rep) quality spectrum. This was 1 of the 1st made with genuine gold plating & powered by an ETA 2846 (which were all Swiss-made at the time). It is also 1 of my 1st frankens (I replaced the end links & clasp with gen parts)

006-2_2__tonemapped1-1.jpg

(note the naturally aged greenish lume)

"Another rep from the same time period (mid-80s), but from the opposite end of the (rep) quality spectrum. This was 1 of the 1st made with genuine gold plating & powered by an ETA 2846 (which were all Swiss-made at the time)."

And it still holds its own!

I have a stainless example from the same era with a silvertone linen 'diamond' dial (CZ or something) and 17 jewel no-hack Eta 2846. It sold for $125 over 20 years ago with a plastic crystal and jubilee style bracelet.

Still runs after 20+ years but needs cleaning.

100_2560.jpg

I can't quite make it out in the pic, but might I be right in thinking that the dial has a similar 'sun burst' patterning like on a blue TT Sub dial? If so, I have to admit, I'd be tempted to treat it to a modern case and see how it looks :victory: