When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SuperFoods

Dani

Myself use Acai,green grass,some type of blue/green sea algae not sure of the name now.

I mostly try to incorporate b17 true green grass due to its effects towards cancer prevention.

Acai due to its high anti oxidants and general amount of vitamins and minerals.

When people think superfood they only think solid foods, I see water as a type of superfood so I drink 2+liters everyday some days maybe even 3-4liters that does not include coffee,tea and such.

Also ginseng and garlic extract is in my daily routine of supplements.

Only downside to using all this is balance, it takes time to set up a good routine whit exact amounts that your body can handle and use effectively.

As I am Norwegian I drink fish fat straight from the bottle. :drinks:

Would like to know what you guys use of supplements :)

Cheers,

D

I've used numerous "super foods" over the years. Currently I use a product called "Jurassic Green", which is made from kamut, barley, and alfalfa grown on a prehistoric lake bed, harvested at "peak time", and juiced in a vacuum chamber at 85-90

• Like 1

There is some guy named Neal Barnard on PBS right now talking about staying healthy. He says unless you want to die you should stop eating meat, fish, cheese, Avocados, any kind of oils especially olive, sugar, chocolate & Soy.

If I followed this I'd already feel dead whistling.gif

Nothing beats a good multi-vitamin and a heavy diet of fruits, veggies and whole grains. I don't know about ginseng extract, b17 extract or squirrel root pills.. but eating healthy and having a good body is a question of simple veggies and fruits available at everyone's local market. Now if you lift weights (like me) then a good protein whey can be of benefit.. but it's by no means necessary. Just my .02 :)

Seriously! Taking vitamins in the form of pills is likely not the so beneficial I have heard. Best is to get what you need trough your meat, fisk, fruits....

study published in the "Journal of the American Medical Association," which reveals that high-dose supplementation such as supplementation of beta-carotene and vitamins A and E can be harmful for health. According to authors of the study, medically prescribed supplements such as vitamin B12, calcium or Vitamin D are suitable to take.

I know you are not a woman Dani but Scientists in New York combined data from two Women's Health Initiative trials involving 161,808 post-menopausal women aged 50 to 79 years.

Some 41 per cent took vitamin pills for a total of 15 years - mostly multi-vitamins with minerals, says a report in the Archives of Internal Medicine journal.

There was no beneficial effect from multi-vitamin use on the risk of breast, colorectal, endometrial, kidney, bladder, stomach, ovary or lung cancers.

Researchers also found no link between using vitamins and the risk of heart disease, or death. The findings also showed multi-vitamins did not increase the risk for these conditions.

The researchers, from Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, said women were more likely than men to take supplements and the proportion taking them went up after the age of 30.

Sylvia Wassertheil-Smoller, professor of epidemiology and population health, said: 'Based on our results, if you fall into the category of the women described here, and you do in fact have an adequate diet, there really is no reason to take a multi-vitamin.'

But it may still benefit some women to take multi-vitamins, she added, because the women in the study were relatively well-educated and had better health habits than the general population.

The Health Supplements Information Service in Britain said yesterday that vitamin supplements help people with poor diets.

Dr Carrie Ruxton, scientific advisor to HSIS, said: 'A significant proportion of British people, particularly women, young children and teenagers, have inadequate intakes of key nutrients, such as iron, folate, calcium, vitamin D and vitamin A.

'As a nation we are still failing to meet the five-a-day fruit and vegetable intake targets. As a result, multi-vitamins remain a valid way of supplementing the diet, alongside improvements in healthy eating.'

Nutritionist Rachel Di Leva, from HSIS, said European regulations prohibit claims being made for supplements without 'robust substantiation'.

She added: 'The Advertising Standards Authority is also vigilant. Reputable multi-vitamin products do not carry claims that cannot be substantiated, and this protects consumers.'

Dr Ruxton said: 'Vitamins and minerals are not intended to be used like drugs.

'Both cancer and heart disease are conditions with multiple causes such as genetics, smoking, obesity and diet, so it is unlikely that simply taking a multi-vitamin supplement would prevent them.

'But a multi-vitamin, for instance, could be the answer for someone leading a hectic, busy lifestyle, where meals are skipped or taken on the run.'

Seriously! Taking vitamins in the form of pills is likely not the so beneficial I have heard. Best is to get what you need trough your meat, fisk, fruits....

I take a multi-vitamin aout 3 times a week (normal Centrum). My diet is 90% vegetables and fruits and I can say that I feel great. I lift 4 days a week and play basketball twice a week. Since some of my vitamins like b1 and b6 are not very prevalent in lots of the foods i eat.. .besides the trace amounts of garlic i eat, i opt for a multi-vitamin.

I didn't know that it could be dangerous though! maybe i'll stop taking them to see if i notice a difference!

Gran@

Just to ad in VG some months ago it was stated by this so called scientist/smart people that Fish fat like Tran was a good way to get cancer, a week later it says on front page the opposite..Just like C vitamins one day its very good next day you can die from it..

What i know is that dirt where they grow fruits,veggis has 75-80% less minerals then 80yrs ago.

My belief's is that its healthy and to ad Acai is not pills,green grass is not pills, and the algae is not pills its all either fresh or dried powder.

And i am one of those active dudes that skips meals and dont eat very correct, i wish i had 2hours to make food every day whit no worrys but i dont :(

Gran@

Just to ad in VG some months ago it was stated by this so called scientist/smart people that Fish fat like Tran was a good way to get cancer, a week later it says on front page the opposite..Just like C vitamins one day its very good next day you can die from it..

What i know is that dirt where they grow fruits,veggis has 75-80% less minerals then 80yrs ago.

My belief's is that its healthy and to ad Acai is not pills,green grass is not pills, and the algae is not pills its all either fresh or dried powder.

And i am one of those active dudes that skips meals and dont eat very correct, i wish i had 2hours to make food every day whit no worrys but i dont :(

I know :drinks: and you are correct about that Dani...being as active as you are you probably need them ...and lucky me I have someone who spends that kind of time make me food

Gunnar

I know :drinks: and you are correct about that Dani...being as active as you are you probably need them ...and lucky me I have someone who spends that kind of time make me food

Gunnar

That's more then lucky :) But your deserve that good people should get good things in life :)

I wish i could make some Pepper Laks 2-3times a week and some good salater whit garlic,tomater,mais,salat,nam nam :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I take a multi-vitamin aout 3 times a week (normal Centrum). My diet is 90% vegetables and fruits and I can say that I feel great. I lift 4 days a week and play basketball twice a week. Since some of my vitamins like b1 and b6 are not very prevalent in lots of the foods i eat.. .besides the trace amounts of garlic i eat, i opt for a multi-vitamin.

I didn't know that it could be dangerous though! maybe i'll stop taking them to see if i notice a difference!

Where do you get most of your proteins? since you eat mostly vegetables and fruits.

Wish i was as good on eating vegetables and fruits, i need to take that more into my diet.

Cheers

Where do you get most of your proteins? since you eat mostly vegetables and fruits.

Wish i was as good on eating vegetables and fruits, i need to take that more into my diet.

Cheers

I eat lots of canned tuna... and chicken. I take my protein in small dosis throughout the day. maybe the equivalent to about half a can of tuna.. about five times a day.

Protein is not digested well by the body and is much more effectively used in very small amounts. Fore example, when you eat a big chicken breast during one meal.. your body is only able to process and effectively use between 25 and 40grams of that protein and put it to use in muscle regeneration. (the amount of usable protein depends on the person.. whether or not they're active.. if they work out etc..)

I get somewhere between 120 and 200 grams of protein per day.. divided up into 5 periods throughout the day. The rest of my food is all fruits and vegetables plain oat meal, brown rice and lots of Quinoa :)

Of course I love to splurge out and get Chinese, thai, indian and mexican sometimes.. but only a couple times a month :)

I eat lots of canned tuna... and chicken. I take my protein in small dosis throughout the day. maybe the equivalent to about half a can of tuna.. about five times a day.

Protein is not digested well by the body and is much more effectively used in very small amounts. Fore example, when you eat a big chicken breast during one meal.. your body is only able to process and effectively use between 25 and 40grams of that protein and put it to use in muscle regeneration. (the amount of usable protein depends on the person.. whether or not they're active.. if they work out etc..)

I get somewhere between 120 and 200 grams of protein per day.. divided up into 5 periods throughout the day. The rest of my food is all fruits and vegetables plain oat meal, brown rice and lots of Quinoa :)

Of course I love to splurge out and get Chinese, thai, indian and mexican sometimes.. but only a couple times a month :)

Ah ok, sounds like bodybuilder diet :) Its smart to divide proteins i try to do it, but as i don't work out a lot last couple of years due to motorcycle accidents i tend to lose track on such, my diet in general is embarrassing compare to what is was 2years back :black_eye:

To dine out is something we all should do, if you are to strict on your diet it tends to make you more prone to quit it.

Cheers

Is too. Clicky the linky.

MODERATE MERCURY

Eat six servings or less per month:

Bass (Striped, Black)

Carp

Cod (Alaskan)*

Croaker (White Pacific)

Halibut (Atlantic)*

Halibut (Pacific)

Jacksmelt (Silverside)

Lobster

Mahi Mahi

Monkfish*

Perch (Freshwater)

Sablefish

Skate*

Snapper*

Tuna (Canned chunk light)

Tuna (Skipjack)*

Weakfish (Sea Trout)

HIGH MERCURY

Eat three servings or less per month:

Bluefish

Grouper*

Mackerel (Spanish, Gulf)

Sea Bass (Chilean)*

Tuna (Canned Albacore)

Tuna (Yellowfin)*

HIGHEST MERCURY

Avoid eating:

Mackerel (King)

Marlin*

Orange Roughy*

Shark*

Swordfish*

Tilefish*

Tuna

(Bigeye, Ahi)*

Edited by AllergyDoc

@AllergyDoc - shock.gif Based on my seafood and Sushi consumption I should be dead! Yikes! No more twice a week Sushi for me....

As far as SuperFoods and supplements, I suggest reading this book: http://www.michaelpollan.com/indefense.php "In Defense of Food".

Basically, eat "real" food not the processed garbage, eat in moderation and exercise and you should not need to stress yourself out about the latest SuperFood study, or buying $$$ supplements.

If you are concerned about a certain health issue / heredity, your money would probably be better spent on a DNA analysis 23andme.com and then simply target what you might be susceptible to instead of playing the broad spectrum supplement game. (i.e. If you have the genetic marker for Prostate Cancer, you would be better off focusing on that). Just a thought.

That's more then lucky :) But your deserve that good people should get good things in life :)

I wish i could make some Pepper Laks 2-3times a week and some good salater whit garlic,tomater,mais,salat,nam nam :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

@AllergyDoc - shock.gif Based on my seafood and Sushi consumption I should be dead! Yikes! No more twice a week Sushi for me....

As far as SuperFoods and supplements, I suggest reading this book: http://www.michaelpollan.com/indefense.php "In Defense of Food".

Basically, eat "real" food not the processed garbage, eat in moderation and exercise and you should not need to stress yourself out about the latest SuperFood study, or buying $$$ supplements.

If you are concerned about a certain health issue / heredity, your money would probably be better spent on a DNA analysis 23andme.com and then simply target what you might be susceptible to instead of playing the broad spectrum supplement game. (i.e. If you have the genetic marker for Prostate Cancer, you would be better off focusing on that). Just a thought.

Great link that DNA thinghy, got to try that :)

My family is very healthy on men side, only high blood pressure and i don't smoke or drink a lot so.

Acai you feel great after using it for 2days its pretty amazing,green grass gets your stomach felling great after 2days just overall much better then regular vitamins in pills that you really don't notice much of I watch a doc called "Food matters" and that just sold me on this..

Fish fat is also great I use about 1 spoon each day.

Good thread this has become many good advices and different opinions :)

• 9 months later...