When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What would you rather have

FxrAndy

Ok so what would you rather have given two watches on the table a low end gen, with a name like citizen, seiko, sandoz or invicta ect, any name to be honest, not necessarily a swiss movement or a rep like the better ones we have seen for

Ok so what would you rather have given two watches on the table a low end gen, with a name like citizen, seiko, sandoz or invicta ect, any name to be honest, not necessarily a swiss movement or a rep like the better ones we have seen for

Depends on usage. If you want a watch for swimming/diving, I would take something like a Seiko if that was the intended use. This also applies if you are looking for more of a worry free experience from a more 'complicated' watch.

There are also notable stand outs "for the price of 2 Super Reps" you can get into the Doxa, Ball, Tag (Qtz), Omega (Qtz), Hamilton, etc... Poke around at Jomashop.com to see how far your dollar can go in the grey market. (Todays Deal of the Day is a $649 Oris Williams F1 watch and they have Tag F1's for $545)

But, if you are going for the high end 'look' or 'rare' item, Super & Franken is the way to go.

I have both high end reps and 2 gens in the mid high end category

I'm willing to let some high end rep's got for a good gen , for instance a 1675 .

At the moment i stopped buying reps. Thelast one is on it's way and needs some mods.

My intention is to stop buying reps and change the collection slowly into a gen collection

Carpe Diem

Cats

What joy there is to wear a Invicta? A cheap half-assed "brand" from Indochina (or wherever) that steals designs from all major luxury manufacturers. At least reps are honestly illegal and counterfeit, and often much nicer watches than Invictas. I had 2 Invicta Sub "homages" and they were much poorer watches than most of my reps.

I don't see the point of the $1K franken-reps though. Gen Bond Seamaster quartz and TAG Aquaracer quartz are about $700 in the preowned market. Yes, quartz but they actually are in the different league. The detail level and finish is very good.

Seikos... well they're actually nice watches and unlike Invicta Seiko is a respectable brand... but personally I don't see them interesting. I owned a Orange Monster once though... it was tank of a watch.

So forgetting the branding issues and the want to have something rolex on your wrist what is something like a WM9 worth in comparison the the quality of some gens

Quality of a WM9 is right up there with $500 to $1500 gens in my opinion. At least the BK versions with Swiss ETAs, Clark Crystals, BK Crowns. Although if I were going off to battle, I would probably put a Seiko, Doxa or Ball on my wrist before heading off. There is something to be said for "in-house" tweaks, and overall Quality Control. Then again, my 15 year old Venice Beach Submariner with actual Miyota movement is still working after all these years... g.gif

I have a Seiko perpetual calender - which was my first ever "proper" grown up watch........it served me for 6 years solid! I have owned tons of gens too........But a toss up between a "low end" gen (mind you some seiko / citizen models are in the $1,000 bracket)......and a high end rep I would choose a high end rep! Its just value for money.....ok its not the real deal, but a reps are fantastic watches - they look great and keep good time......

Quality of a WM9 is right up there with $500 to $1500 gens in my opinion.

Yeah somewhere between those figures, I agree. The dial printing is amazing, the lume is great, the details are great.

The only thing that doesn't impress me is fitting of the SELs, which is (or at least WAS) very poorly executed. This is often the achilles heel of Rolex reps. I don't know why it's so hard to do properly.

but are the gens always that good at the small details, i have seen some particularly bad date alignments on gens

Good question.

This is the new (gen) SuperOcean and I was very surprised to see the sloppy lume application. Check the '12, '9 and '6 markers. It's surprising because gen Fish XL and BCE have very high quality finish on the dials.

This is a $2000+ watch. :thumbdown:

IMG_0885.JPG

not really answering the question though Pete

Have to disagree mate. You asked 2 questions..... which would I choose if there were one of each on the table and which is the better value for money based on spec..

The first I believe I answered ...."If I liked it and would wear it I would buy it regardless..."

The second needs a specific list of specs and price to conclude which of the choices offers the best value for money. biggrin.gif

Definitely high end rep, vs gen for me. I absolutely love my Tudor. Granted it's mostly gen, but the community build was inspiring to me and this watch holds way more value than it ever would if I just went out and bought a gen Tudor 9411. For sure I would have sold it already just because I would have probably gotten bored with it! :D

A built franken, or modded rep has a history behind it. The frustration of waiting for parts. The elation at finding something you never thought you would find. The exasperation at finding out something won't work after a long search. All of these things create a history, or a bond, with the watch that you will never, ever, ever have with a gen.

Sure, finding that super sweet vintage rollie and getting a good deal on it is a great feeling I'm sure, but it will never beat the feeling of completing a Franken watch and unveiling it to the rest of the community :D That is an incredible feeling to me. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Additionally, being part of helping someone else with their Franken project is also an amazing feeling, but that's not what we're talking about at the moment :D

@Redwatch, I agree with you in regards to the Frankens. That brings up a good point:

Standard Rep -vs- Gen

Super Rep -vs- Gen

Franken -vs- Gen

I think the pride, thrill of the hunt, you get from a Franken will satisfy more than a simple gen purchase. The standard/super is a tough one for me...

I think the pride, thrill of the hunt, you get from a Franken will satisfy more than a simple gen purchase.

I agree with you Ronin

I have a Hamilton X-Wind this is a great Watch and i wear it often, but i wear more reps than the X-Wind ;)

I would buy super reps or franken :good: