When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Had a BIG win on ebay.

offshore

I had what I thought was a big win on ebay yesterday.

http://cgi.ebay.com....IT#ht_500wt_947

Have just received contact from the seller, and he wants out of the deal.

Mr. XXX,

I see you won the bid however because of a misunderstanding on my part with theebay process I cannot sell you the watches for $78. The watches are 18k goldand stainless steel with a combined retail (US) of over $4000. The buy it nowprice was $900. I recently paid over $250 to have the mens watch reconditionedat the factory in Switzerland. Please accept my deep apologies for anymisunderstanding. Ebay would allow me to alter the price or cancel the auctionthis morning at I attempted to do. Again, please accept my sincere apology.

So what does the membership think?

Do I gracefully walk away, or make a prick of myself.??

I fully realised something wasn't right...I actually can't believe it slipped under the radar like this.

Maybe everyone was scared because they were too cheap!

I can't register anything with ebay for 10 days, and hold little hope of forcing the seller to a deal.

Maybe easier to cut the losses?

Offshore

Hmmm... tough call. Accepting his apology graciously would be the 'nice guy' thing to do - but you know what they say about nice guys. And you did win it fair and square by the rules of the auction.

Obviously there's no info in my post that you don't know. So I reckon go for it.

Mind you, if I was seller who made this kind of error I'd be pulling out all stops (legal or not) to not hand them over and the seller may well have the same opinion.

Good luck!

I'd say go for it... but then again, I can be a real d1ck sometimes :whistling:

The seller has only 2 feedbacks from buys not sells, so I'd be treading carefully on this one... could be the lead-in to a scam.

Well, look at it this way.. he will NEVER ship anything to you... And you should not pay anything above what you bidded for those items despite what he says. Leave it up to Ebay, he'll get banned and return with another userid since his reputation is not impt seeing he only has 2 feedbacks..

you can fight this one all the way, but...............

you are never in a million years going to receive these watches, He aint gonna give them away. And who's going to make him?

Annoying but true.

Yeh I totally agree....sort of makes a nonsense of ebay and auctions though.

Maybe I should just send a bill for my time lost watching this one :)

Offshore

Not being vindictive but you should inform ebay of this and pretend to insist that the seller fulfills his part of the sale. Not that you will get your items but at least this guy doesn't go round doing this again soon cos hopefully ebay does something about it.

Legally he's in the wrong, but he's got nothing to lose but his User ID. Very wrong, but chasing it down would be like flogging a dead horse, totally pointless.

You have to feel sorry for someone who, through ignorance, makes a mistake like this though, can you imagine how he felt when he realised..........

If he's already expressed that he'd like to cancel the sale, what makes you think he will ship you the watches? He doesn't appear to be a heavy ebay user and if his account is frozen or he is punished by ebay in some way or another he might not care. I'd let it go, and encourage him to put them up for auction again with a reserve price. But that's just my .02cents

I've had the same thing. Bought 21 watchmaking tools for 21 cents.

Then the seller wanted to charge me 240 dollars shipping :whistling:

At the end he never replied, I got 21 warnings for not paying, but the dispute was closed after a short email to ebay.

If he's already expressed that he'd like to cancel the sale, what makes you think he will ship you the watches? He doesn't appear to be a heavy ebay user and if his account is frozen or he is punished by ebay in some way or another he might not care. I'd let it go, and encourage him to put them up for auction again with a reserve price. But that's just my .02cents

Oh I don't think he will ever ship them.

If however the objection that I haven't paid is used, I'll pay via CC, then challenge him to ship!

He is however bound by his contract with Ebay, so he may have 2nd thoughts, especially if he receives a legal demand....(I happen to have a barrister who is a family friend who does my work free! :) )

Haven't finally decided which way to jump...but I'm thinking it really is too much hassle.

O/S

I'd start off thanking him for his email. Then I would let him know that even though you understand his problem you placed a legal binding bid for an item that was listed by him/her. And that while you can not back out from your legally binding bid the seller is always within his rights to end an unfinished auction at anytime and the seller can also cancel any bids placed on an auction for any reason as long as the auction has not finished. Then I would let him know that there are exceptions to legally binding on ebay and that if the item has a reserve set and the reserve was not met it is no longer legally binding. After stating those things I would let him know that I would be interested in a solution to his problem; he could pay you 50$ (some random number) and you could both walk away from the deal or he could fulfill his obligation set in the terms of service/rules on eBay and sell you the watches for the amount specified or he could ignore your request and face the repercussions from eBay and you for failing to provide products bought with a legally binding agreement.

Blokes got 2 on his feedback...he wont be worried about losing that.

If you are happy with him as a seller and you really want the watches and are willing to pay more, why not offer a comprimise price thru Ebay arbitration.

If not then walk away he wont worry about recourse if you pay and he dont send...which he wont !!

I hate being a jerk, but I also do not like getting taken by 1. So I would send him a polite email asking what he feels would be an equitable amount (for both of you), considering that the mistake was his & you won the watches fairly? Then, you can either accept his offer, make a counteroffer or register a formal complaint with ebay &/or Paypal.

I hate being a jerk, but I also do not like getting taken by 1. So I would send him a polite email asking what he feels would be an equitable amount (for both of you), considering that the mistake was his & you won the watches fairly? Then, you can either accept his offer, make a counteroffer or register a formal complaint with ebay &/or Paypal.

+1

This gives you a chance to not be a [censored] before being a [censored]. :victory:

I said be Ruthless and I meant it. Write to his local hospital with a general question that they are likely to respond to.

You will then have the Hospital Letterhead.

Then simply use the Letterhead to inform him that he has aquired AIDS.

Our enemies come in all forms, shapes and sizes. We must not allow them to stand to harm us again in the future.

Enjoy your revenge or risk that it will forever haunt you, that you did not take it when you could.

They don't call me the "Jesus of Lakeland" for nothing. I am wise beyond my years...

George

Edited by georgegrasser