When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pilot's Cabin or Executive Suite?

freddy333

Magnificent! That's going to be a jaw-dropper.

So... what's the chances of finding a bubbleback or similar and engraving a meatball on there? That would be heart-stopping. :notworthy:

You might talk to FXR. We've been tossing over some ideas about machine work. :whistling:

So... what's the chances of finding a bubbleback or similar and engraving a meatball on there? That would be heart-stopping. :notworthy:

You might talk to FXR. We've been tossing over some ideas about machine work. :whistling:

I have been considering getting an aftermarket caseback (Yuki & NDtrading both sell the reasonable facsimiles) & having it engraved with the Pan Am globe, but, 1st things 1st. As I was assembling the Phase II watch, I found that I may need to replace the calendar ring. The only part I did not replace even though the parts list shows a different part number for the GMT is the calendar ring. A couple of watchmakers told me they were virtually interchangeable throughout the 103x series, so I did not replace it. It seems the watchmakers may have been wrong. Trouble is that the GMT calendar wheel (the wheel that drives the date wheel) stands a bit taller than the original 1036 calendar wheel & this causes the date wheel to likewise rise slightly above the top face of the 1036 calendar ring

datewheel21.jpg

datewheel11.jpg

The result of this is that the date wheel rises up above the top of the calendar ring's surface & pops out of its channel. Once I snap the dial onto the pillar, the date wheel, which is sitting up a bit too high, is coming into contact with the underside of the dial, which keeps it from revolving. :bangin: So I am putting the word out trying to locate the correct GMT calendar ring. :cry2:

I think you reached a level where the accuracy of the fonts is just irrrelevant!

I personally like the black dial better (remind me of the greyish dial there is on the latest TOG) so I would go with that. But I hear you, the choice is tough: however, whatever you choose, this 6542 will always be astonishing! :drinks:

EDIT: just saw you choose the white dial.

Seeing it in the case, I have to agree with your choice, it is exquisite!!!!! Silly me for choosing the black one in the first place :bangin:

Mmm I could just LICK that white dial. Is there something wrong with me? :shock:

Definitely not & I know what you mean :whistling: . As soon as I glimpsed the white dial in the case, the case was closed (no pun intended). I knew it had to be white. Game over. Waiter, check please. That white dial makes the early GMT pop in a way that the black dial, as cool as it is, cannot.

Ok, gang. Here is the 1st quick-&-dirty pic of the (nearly*) complete albino GMT 6542

Image12__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

*The date wheel is on its way to be refinished & I still need to locate the correct calendar ring (which is taller to give the date wheel more room & will fill the small gap between the case & dial, which you may be able to see in the pic). As it turned out, the white dial really was the correct choice, as this watch is now 1 of the most beautiful in my collection.

That is truly gorgeous, my tongue is hanging out!

Mine too. :Jumpy:

That is truly a work of art Freddy! Very impressive!!!

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment.

drool.gif Just beautiful Freddy

Thanks, D. Much obliged.

Although no one here would ever copy/paste RWG content to any gen forums :whistling: , something tells me this watch will become the subject of debates & conversations in the gen forums.

Well Freddy you've gone and done it.

Once my mind is made up about what I like or don't like about a family of vintage pieces, it's carved in stone. I never change my mind. Ever.

But you've done it. I always thought the albino 6542 was yooooogly. But good Lord, man... you've created a Garbot. It's a Racquel. Holy smokes, you've created Sophia Loren in stainless steel.

I am more impressed than I know how to put into words. Well done.