When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Release mechanism for the crown-stem stuck?

Edwin25

Hi Guys,

Some help please...

Today my minute hand felt of the dial of my DSSD. So i opened it, release all crews ect... and put my minute hand back on the dial...

Now i have this problem...

The Mechanism for the crown- stern seems to be stuck... when i press it with my crewdriver.. it wont go down... and i can't press the stern in.

Is there a solution?

Please help

Tnx

E.

IMG_0026-1.jpg

You should not need to press the button when reinstalling, just turn the crown untill it all lines up and then press home, if at this point you realy cant press the stem back in then you may have upset the keyless works, what position was the stem in (winding, handset, date set) when you released the stem ?

You should not need to press the button when reinstalling, just turn the crown untill it all lines up and then press home, if at this point you realy cant press the stem back in then you may have upset the keyless works, what position was the stem in (winding, handset, date set) when you released the stem ?

Hi Andy,

What do you mean with "all lines up and then press home"?

The Sterm goes into the movement.. i can crew the crown in, but when i unscrew the crown, the stern goes out of the movement. I can 't adjust time and date :black_eye:

I don't know in that position the stern was when i released it.. I thought date set ( because the date is now between 23 and 24)

The crown has three positions, it does not matter what time it was in but was it pulled fully out or in or half way, the fact that it does not now lock tells me that the keyless works requires resetting.

I have found that removing the stem in the time set position on a 2836 is best for me at least

You should never use any thing smaller than a 1.2mm screw driver to press in the crown release on a 28xx movement

Tnx Andy!

At this moment, when i puch the stern in he movement and i turn the crown away form me, the "rader next to the crown is moving, only the hand or the date aren't moving. :wounded1:

So how can i "reset" the keyless works?

tnx

E

Tnx Ubiquitous,

Is there a pic tutorial somewhere ( i used the search button, but i can find it) how to remove the dial and hands from the movement.

I have never done that before. Is it easy to do ( for someone with 2 left hands :animal_rooster: )

Tnx.. getting closer... step by step...

E.

To remove the hands, you'll need a tool to pull them, along with a dial protector to ensure that the dial isn't scratched in the process. You would basically line up all the hands at 12:00 and start pulling in succession. To remove the dial- There are two clamps that hold the dial feet that are accessible from the rotor side of the movement. The clamps swing out and once disengaged, you can lift the dial from the movement.

In this pic, you can see the clamps:

IMG_5403.jpg

Hope this helps!

//ubi

I had the same issue a few weeks back and I followed the instructions and pics from Ubi and others. It was very straight forward. The instructions provided by the members here are spot on. Once you gain the confidence on working on your pieces, following these instructions are quite easy.

Good call!

O/S

Ditto.

If you are unsure or lack the proper tools, best to let someone else handle it. Even if you are able to remove the dial/hands without incident, the difficult part, relatively speaking, is reinstalling the hands (without damaging either hand or dial), which is where the real skill comes in. :drinks:

A couple of helpful hints for stem removal on ETAs (& ETA clones) -

Before uncasing, pull the crown/stem out to the winding position (1st click). Some suggest pulling it out to the time-setting position, but this tends to increase the likelihood of having either the clutch, clutch lever or stem lock slip out of position. Use the correct tool or screwdriver to depress or unscrew release the stem (varies with movement) & be gentle. Too much force or too many turns can easily dislodge parts.

Freddy, I've always been unsure of which position to remove the stem in for different movements. Didn't The Zigmeister suggest removing it from the time set position on the 2836? Seems like I remember that and it's been good for me. It would be nice if there was a definitive table for all the popular movements for which is correct removal.

But my question is: You mention removing it after you "pull the crown/stem out to the winding position (1st click)". To me the first click would be the date change position. Am I just mis-reading what you are saying? It's somewhat confusing.

• 1 year later...

That's the one I was looking for. Thanks. I lost the link to it. Now,your movement here did not have a date wheel, this is why it doesn't have the date jumper setup. I messed that up in a practice asian eta. Trying to fix that so I can then tackelt the swiss ones. ;)

Thanks a million.

E