When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

iPhone 4

dbutlerman

My iPhone came in today and so far I am pretty happy. The camera is a big improvement. Here is my first pic

Brilliant, only a WIS would get a new phone and the first thing he does is take a photo of a watch :thumbsupsmileyanim: Congrats. I dont think its released in the UK yet :( But its going to be my next phone......

Got mine yesterday, Still playing with it but I do like it

Fortunately no issues yet on OS4 on the 4 or my other 3G.

Just wish Apple would of done something about the SMS message alert tones!!!!! I really hate the set choices!!! Its the main reason I alwas Jailbreak my iPhones. Though i will have a wait on the 4. Though i have seen some blogs claiming the Jailbreak for the OS4 on a 3Gs has been done already!!!

Just wish Apple would of done something about the SMS message alert tones!!!!! I really hate the set choices!!! Its the main reason I alwas Jailbreak my iPhones. Though i will have a wait on the 4. Though i have seen some blogs claiming the Jailbreak for the OS4 on a 3Gs has been done already!!!

www.redmondpie.com

check for firmware and modem baseband first

i just picked up another 3gs

I haven't noticed a compatibility issue with my devices yet (I have a car kit and a TomTom kit on it's way to me). Many times my 3G would give me an incompatibility warning when using my car kit, which I just told it to ignore, but I haven't seen it on the 4G yet. As for the signal issue - I did experiment with it and noticed that the bars did drop after holding it in the palm of my left hand, you have to have the bottom left corner of the device in the palm of your hand, with your palm making contact with two of the antennas to make the signal drop, but it definitely drops, which is a bad thing. Isn't an issue for me as I live in California and have to use a bluetooth anyways, and secondly because I am right handed and swear that I am going deaf in my left ear, so the device is always in my right hand while using it.

There is another issue that has popped up, and I noticed it on mine when I got it. There are small spots of yellow on the screen, but they go away after using the phone for a day. It turns out that the adhesive Apple(Foxconn China) uses to adhere the panels of glass together didn't have enough time from manufacture to delivery to allow the adhesive the correct amount of time to evaporate. Once the phone warmed up and the evaporation completed the yellowing goes away completely.

I have always like the crystal clanking noise of the SMS. :thumbsupsmileyanim: But, my phone is on Vibrate 99% of the time...

Brilliant, only a WIS would get a new phone and the first thing he does is take a photo of a watch :thumbsupsmileyanim: Congrats. I dont think its released in the UK yet :( But its going to be my next phone......

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Is there anything else worthy of taking pictures???? Ok, there probably is, but, that's the first thing I thought of. It has released in the UK, same day as the US, Germany, France and Japan.

Found this great little review on MacForums:

Why I returned the HTC EVO and going iPhone 4

I was one of the first in line to get an HTC EVO. For the first couple of weeks I was content. But thats when things started to go sour.

- Dust under the screen

I've had the phone for about a week and it already had dust in the upper left hand corner. With some searching on some EVO forums, apparently this is very common with not only the EVO but also the HTC Hero. Thats just unacceptable. My Palm Pre which I used for 1 year didn't have any dust at all under the screen.

- LCD screen quality

When compared with the iPhone 4, the colors look bland and washed out. For those of you who are familular with LCD technology, IPS is the best type due to the beautiful colors it can produce. Typical cell phone LCD screens are made of a cheaper kind of LCD called TN which that EVO uses. I have one of the better version of the LCD screen. I got lucky and received a 003 screen which has deeper black colors and accurate colors. However, when comparing it to the iPhone 4's screen, it looks like crap.

- Laggy screen responce

HTC decided to cap video to 30fps, but this is also affecting screen input. When you type too quick, the letters will not catch causing you to mispell words. I tried typing as fast as I could on the iPhone 4 and didn't miss one letter.

- Sprints 4G is over rated

I live in a city where 4G has been present for over a year and its not all its cracked up to be. I barely get above 3 megs at most and on average saw about 2 megs. I traveled to other 4G citities and saw about the same. I doubt Sprint will improve this since they can't even get their 3G network right.

- Battery life is terrible

I do light web surfing and text messaging here and there. I take it off the charger at 8a and by the time its for bed at 11p, its almost all drained. Thats what 4G, GPS, Bluetooth all turned off. And I manually end tasks of any programs running in the background periodically. I don't know why they included Sprint TV since it drains about 1% every 1 minute.

- Cheap feel

The whole phone is made of plastic except for the stand which looks like its made of stainless steel. The phone doesn't feel as solid as the iPhone... heck, any iPhone for that matter. I compared this with my friends iPhone 4GB 1G, and his phone is more solid feel then the EVO.

- Android OS isn't mature yet

Most of the popular apps I tried were either not compatible with the phone or they looked like crap. They are not as beautiful working and looking as the worst app in the Apple App Store. Scrolling isn't as smooth which is sad since it has the fastest CPU processor available to man-kind at the moment.

If their wasn't an iPhone 4, I would still keep my HTC EVO since it is the best phone out right now in my humble opinion. I like the LED notifications and live backgrounds. But those aren't enough to keep me. In the end the HTC EVO was fun, but its time for a better phone. iPhone 4, here I come.

**Update** 6/30/10

I got an iPhone 4 yesterday and had a chance to use it for a full day. Overall, the phone is much better then the HTC EVO in my opinion. Heres what I like about the iPhone 4.

- I was able to go a whole day without charging (still had about 40% when I got home!). On the EVO I would be completely drained by the time I got home.

- The OS is refined. Many little nice visuals and usability really add up quick. Everything from the smooth swipes, and sharp visuals really give the OS an edge over the Android.

- I will mention this again. The screen is absolutely amazing. I only own LCD monitors that are IPS. Colors are rich and sharp.

Here are some arguements I had with a friend about the iP4 vs EVO.

- It has live backgrounds!

The live backgrounds are awesome, and definately made me love Android. But unfortunately the live backgrounds were one of the biggest issues why I had battery life issues in the first place. I had to completely stop using them because of that.

- The widgets!

This is something I hope Apple will do with the next iOS. But on the EVO, most of the widgets I used and liked, didn't even work right. I would get error pop-ups or it wouldn't work at all. So after a week, I pretty much stopped using them because they didn't work right. The included SenseUI widgets worked, but almost all of them were crap (Ex: I wanted a 4x1 widget for my calandar. The SenseUI had one, but it could only display 1 future event).

- HUGE 4.3" screen!

Probably the reason why I dumped my Palm Pre to get the EVO. I like the huge screen because you are able to view webpages almost in full without zooming. Also, I didn't need to hold it right up to my face to see anything. Love the kick stand too. What really sucked was when I compared the screen to the iPhone 4. I should have never done that! As soon as I compared the two visually, the iPhone 4 made my EVO's screen look like total crap. The EVO's LCD was bland, and colors were washed out. I would rather have a smaller, high resolution, and rich color screen.

The iPhone 4 is far from perfect. A minus for the iPhone 4 is the "death grip". I don't really care for voice calling, but I do care about using the phone for everything else thats non-voice related such as surfing the web, games.. etc.. As I was holding my phone (As I would with any phone, in my left hand, the bottom palming it) and internet surfing, my webpages would load very slowly or wouldn't load at all until my hand didn't touch the left antenna. I hope Apple can fix this with a software update.

The iPhone 4 is like a BMW. Its not mechanically perfect and has some problems, but the experience you get from using it is unlike any other. Everyone should at least own one of these in their lifetime to experience one of the best product ever made.

The iphone one doesn't make much sense as the battery lasts much longer than 1 hour... I easily get 18 to 20 hours without plugging it in and add in the fact that you can add another battery its wonderful. If I get an app that does crash I just uninstall it. Nothing like dealing with Apples poor quality control it is almost like buying a rep. You have to really get a good dealer and Apple is turning in to canal street, shoddy products, little to no quality control, dealers who will not help you when you get a bad product, and bad mouthing the other dealers who offer higher quality products.

Does your phone lose service with a paper clip on the side? no, well you should get an iphone it does that. Do you get yellowing under the glass with your phone? no, well you can with the iphone. It is part of our new shoddy quality control. Does the CEO of your phone manufacture tell you to hold the phone differently when you loose service or drop calls? no, well you are missing out that is our new customer service, whoops I mean lack of customer service.