When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's the perfect Holiday Watch?

erwinner

I have been offline for quite some time as my new hobby (driving an Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0V6) was consuming both all of my spare time, but more importantly, also the entire monthly 'fun-budget'.

Good news was that I allready had a watch-winder carrying 6 excellent watches, including my gen IWC XVI and super modded rep IWC Ingy SS, Ingy AMG Ti, GST SS white-face, Breitling SFSO and even a Chopard MM GTXL Chrono...

But last year my wife confiscated the SFSO as it is a perfect poolside watch being reliably waterproof and has an excellent gen rubber strap. Fortunately the Ingy AMG Ti which I also took along is also great as Ti tends to stay cool, even in direct sunlight. But unfortunately the bracelet does not size as my wrists tend to grow in the heat...

So I'm considering a swap of one of those watches in the winder (perhaps the GST, the Ingy SS or the MM Chrono) for another poolside special.

But who can advice me what to look for nowaday's? Spec's are:

- does not heatup in direct sunlight

- strap can be sized to accomodate swollen wrists in the heat

- reliably waterproof

- good AR

- good looker at the poolside without being huge

open for all suggestions!

What about any brietling with 24mm lugs and add an ocean racer strap you have about 1cm of adjustment on a ratchet system

Hi FXRandy... Great to see you're still around!

Allready own a Breitling SFSO and guess the wife will wear it again around the pool.

Actually looking for 'something different'

Prefer a non-chrono version as the chrono's tend to be less water-resistant

This was the previous watchbox. The IWC Portu Chrono was sold to FxrAndy and also the IWC st. Exupery is not in the box any longer...

IMG_0762.jpg

Hi FXRandy... Great to see you're still around!

Allready own a Breitling SFSO and guess the wife will wear it again around the pool.

Actually looking for 'something different'

Prefer a non-chrono version as the chrono's tend to be less water-resistant

This was the previous watchbox. The IWC Portu Chrono was sold to FxrAndy and also the IWC st. Exupery is not in the box any longer...

IMG_0762.jpg

Personally, I'd just put the Ingenieur (right hand pad with just the 12 and 6 numerals) on a rubber strap :)

If you're gonna be around water, with sweaty wet wrists and baking in the sun... this is the watch for you:

It's freakin beastly. It's radio-atomic synchronized, and solar powered, so you never have to replace the battery. On a full charge the battery lasts for 9 months without any sunlight! The watch has a tide meter, moon phase, multiple time zone, automatic DST and up to 5 alarms. It also synchronizes itself automatically with one of 6 or 7 atomic radio transmission points across the globe. I've never been a fan of G-shocks till I saw this blacked out model with the screws... it was named number 8 on Time Magazine's list of top ten gadgets of 2009 :)

GW-7900B-1DR-G-RESCUE-GSHOCK-CASIO-WATCH-BLACK.jpg

paired with my other black beast.. The Skyland Blacksteel:

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1528.jpg

with the DSSD:

IMG_1527.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

Really similar size to the skyland Blacksteel:

IMG_1531.jpg

Six atomic radio bands.. for being perfectly in sync:

IMG_1533.jpg

Lume is pretty cool and can be set to sense your body movement and automatically light up when the watch is moved and tilted to a "watch glance" position towards the wearers face (of course it has a light sensor that will allow this to happen only when it's in a dark environment):

IMG_1534.jpg

It's got wrist stabilizer straps to keep the watch centered on your wrist:

IMG_1538.jpg

The wrist shot:

IMG_1541.jpg

A true beater watch. You guys should see some of the tests they put these g-shocks through!

Personally, I'd just put the Ingenieur (right hand pad with just the 12 and 6 numerals) on a rubber strap :)

In that case I prefer the Ti Ingy AMG as Titanium does not heatup in direct sunlight. Perhaps I even have a strap for this watch somewhere (kevlar if I'm not mistaken)

And with regards to the Casio.... Guess that's a bit to much for my small wrists ;)

But thanks for the excellent pics and story!

In that case I prefer the Ti Ingy AMG as Titanium does not heatup in direct sunlight. Perhaps I even have a strap for this watch somewhere (kevlar if I'm not mistaken)

To be fair, if it's just the watch head, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it heating up from sunlight, but of course, it's your choice :) With regards the Kevlar strap, what is the water resistance/water retention of the strap like? I only ask, as personally speaking, I don't like the feeling of a wet fabric strap on my wrist. I only tolerate a wet NATO strap if its wetness is inevitable, such as swimming, but if it's avoidable, such as bathing, I would still remove the watch rather than get the strap wet. A silicone strap, on the other hand, while not always quite as smart, can still be quite acceptable aesthetically, as well as meaning it's no issue if the watch gets at all wet :victory:

I was thinking of taking my Ingy with me on holidays, but I'm to afraid of scratching the glass.

So in two weeks it will be two rolex, a GMT 16750 & the DeepSea actually in the hand of Domenico for waterproof test!

@Plaifender, that's a damn impressive QC :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It will be these...CHOPARD GTXXL on rubber and PO Chrono on metal bracelet...both partly domofied and water restsitant tested (and YES! I will be by the ocean..and later in Las Vegas )

UPO was my first choice last year, but I've found that the bezel insert can be a little unreliable and you risk using it during heavy water play (tubing, cliff diving, watersliding, etc.). Best watch I've found thus far is the SFSO. Absolutely indestructable!

For me, it's gotta be the Blue Cerachrome Sub:

dscf4722.jpg

Looks stunning in the sunlight :wub: and I will be amazed if it can't be made waterproof - it feels a real quality piece! I've not tested it for waterproof-ness yet but I'd like to as it really would be great to be able to swim in it :)

UPO was my first choice last year, but I've found that the bezel insert can be a little unreliable and you risk using it during heavy water play (tubing, cliff diving, watersliding, etc.). Best watch I've found thus far is the SFSO. Absolutely indestructable!

The SFSO will be along on tour as well, but decided to stop hunting for a 2nd one as time is running up...

For me, it's gotta be the Blue Cerachrome Sub:

dscf4722.jpg

Looks stunning in the sunlight :wub: and I will be amazed if it can't be made waterproof - it feels a real quality piece! I've not tested it for waterproof-ness yet but I'd like to as it really would be great to be able to swim in it :)

Wow.... must be stunning near the water! Had a sub along in the past as well and loved the 007 bond style but had the same issue as with all bracelet watches. they can't be resized easily along the poolside...

Found the kevlar spare strap with Ti clasp laying around somewhere in my desk and just mounted it on the AMG Ingy (double AR, Lello dw and exceptional waterproof). Took it for a swim today in the local pool and it behaves excellent. only drawback is the white stitching which remains wet for long time and thus has a dark colour)

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

Wow.... must be stunning near the water! Had a sub along in the past as well and loved the 007 bond style but had the same issue as with all bracelet watches. they can't be resized easily along the poolside...

Good job this model from BK has the Glidelock clasp that can be adjusted in seconds... ;)

Im going to vote for the SuperOcean Steel Fish .. *very* stylish but not too thick in profile, and certainly pool-proof! It looks good at dinner, at a fancy place or on the beach in the Ocean!

DSC_0861.jpg

Cream dial is my favorite.

Props to Redwatch for the photo