When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another 1665 DRSD

dbutlerman

I just finished this up about 15 minutes ago and I thought that I'd post it. It's the first project that I've built from scratch - that is, I didn't start with a whole watch. I bought each component separately and from across the globe.

- The case is an MBW 1665 sourced from Canada

- The movement is a new 2846 slow beat from California

- The datewheel is from FxrAndy in Germany (dial needs to be adjusted a little to be centered)

- The dial is a MBW DRSD from Colorado

- and The hands are from Wholesale Outlet in Texas.

Here is a cappy cell phone pic. I'll post some more tomorrow after I get out the DSLR.

3019a8bb.jpg

Nice, needs a Yuki or similar pear.

I would also swap the the hands next time you have it apart, these look like cheep rep hands they are flat and the edges are quite rough. The better rep hands are nicely polished on the edges and seem to have a thicker chrome plating.

But very nice none the less.

Boy that's a great build! Are you sure that's an MBW dial? A couple of details look a little different. But what a killer build! Let's see a profile shot of that big lurid domed crystal! :tu:

db2 - Your hard work definitely shows in this piece. :good:

I agree with the others' comments about the hands. I think Tudors, which are made to fit ETA pinions, are your best bet. After that, try Clarks (ebay).

I am not too sure that the misaligned date is due to a misaligned dial (unless you removed the dial feet). Most likely, the number overlay was either printed incorrectly or placed incorrectly on the date wheel (both are very common problems). If the former is the problem, your only option is to replace the overlay (though you could also replace the entire datewheel/overlay with another MBW or similar). If the latter is the case, you would need to separate the overlay from the date wheel (try a razor blade to pry them apart) & then reglue them using slow-drying epoxy (slow dry gives you time to position/test the overlay a couple of times in the watch before the cement dries).

Thanks Freddy! I will try and hunt down some Tudor hands...maybe some vintagy ones :)... The dial do have the feet removed, I did that exact trick (slow dry epoxy) when setting it up, but the dial turned a little when doing the final attachment. The 3:00 market is slightly off from stem center, so I am just going to re-align the dial to the stem and I should be good to go! I am about the decase it, spin the dial a hair and put it back together...I'll post some more pics when done!

The new photos and everything looks great. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

If you are going to be dealing with Yuki, see if he has anymore vintage pearls, or one of his inserts. +1 on the Tudor hands.

I also like that NATO strap color combo.