When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Coming Full Circle

RobbieG

I haven't posted in a while and as you all know I have had some health problems. Recently I sold a couple genuine pieces on TZ and some pals here were a little concerned that maybe I had lost my passion for watches. I thought I would try and start an honest thread and at the same time bring you up to speed on what I have been up to...

People have said I made the UN MMD famous on the rep boards and others have even said the pics of my watch posted here sparked interest from the factory. I doubt that, but in any case I'm glad they made such a great rep of it. Recently I sold that watch as part of a campaign to continue to shrink the collection to those pieces I will constantly wear. At my peak my genuine collection was well over 50 pieces and though it is probably old new, most already know that I sold off all but five by the time I got sick. From there I did add to that by purchasing a few of my grails and replacing a few watches previously owned that met a "new" most important criteria - more on that later...

The critera for that supposed "final five" was a departure from buying anything that I thought was visually cool, to just having one watch from each of five categories that was visually cool to me. What has recently changed is I have discovered that no matter how cool I think a watch looks or "is", if it isn't extremely comfortable I just won't reach for it. I found that I had to force myself to wear a couple of the remaining pieces in my collection and it was really starting to bother me. Most recently I sold two watches that I never thought I would sell, namely my beloved UN MMD and a 42MM PO on rubber (Ubi got the bracelet!). Why? Because for me each was just not comfortable enough for me and when I wore them I found myself constantly adjusting and messing with them while wearing. In the case of the MMD it is the size and the too flat caseback (although the bracelet is still the best in the class). For the PO it is the opposite. The caseback relief carving annoys me. So I guess what I wanted to say about all this is that I have developed a new most important critera which goes beyond looks and that is comfort.

The second most important criteria for me is also something new and that is the watch must fit my perception of "classic" in terms of design. This is where the ode to Rolex comes in. Funny. Like most I came to these boards by way of the Submariner and discovered this whole secret world and community. Rolex is where it started actually long before these boards with a genuine Sub which I then replaced with about a billion reps before abaondoning reps for the perfection of gens. When I moved away from Rolex it was for the same reasons that most do. I felt that the brand was almost too iconic and everyone either had one and/or everyone thought they were all fake and/or they weren't "the best" - whatever that means - in comparison to all the other brands out there. And as I said I experimented with everything but Rolex and bought and sold a small fortune worth of them specifically avoiding Rolex with its flimsy bracelets and "boring" movements.

But after coming full circle I have come to love and rely on my Rolex watches above all else. They are like a warm blanket. The familiary and quiet design is what it is all about for me. Those flimsy bracelets are the most comfortable after all for me and something about the shape of the cases just melt into my wrist. The movements are scary sturdy and the fit and finish is flawless. And for me the look is just off the charts as well. Not just the designs and how classic and perfect they are in that wonderful "boring" way, but the metal. Oh, the metal. I don't know what is so different about Rolex steel, gold, and platinum, but like I always say, "Nothing quite shines like a Rolex watch". I love that though they experiement with new designs they don't rush into anything and keep the old designs as they were. Very slow and deliberate and resistant to change. It just makes sense. They just don't need to be upgraded. I think the industry suffers greatly from the better moustrap syndrome. Companies nail designs and yet very few have the sense to know when they have something that need not be changed. The whole giagantic watch explosion is a great example. It got to the point where everyone was just ignoring everything that makes watches so elegant and practical just to make the biggest most obnoxious design and capture market share. I love that Rolex refused to chase that and prove the core of the market didn't care to chase it either by continuing to make the Day Date the biggest seller at 36MM. And when they did respond to demands of customers for bigger dress watches, they only went to 41MM which is the same basic size as the classic sports models. In short, Rolex is one that really knows itself and I have really come to appreciate that. I strive to be that way in my own business and refuse to chase the latest "in" thing. But again, above all the comfort is king for me. I reach for them and when I put them on I don't even know it is there until someone says, "Hey, nice watch - what is that a Rolex?". I can honestly say in all my years of collecting I have never drawn more attention or more compliments from any watch more than my Rolex watches and it is never a sacrifice to what feels perfect and familiar to me. So I guess I have come full circle. Back to Rolex and really appreciating all that they are. Iconic. Comfortable. Rugged. Simple. Familiar. Home. Perfect...

So what is new with the collection? Not much but a few key new pieces and a few old ones:

-I had orginally sold my PT/SS Yachtmaster to replace it with the rhodium MMD. Similar style - the sort of fancy sport watch category. I bought another a while back and kept the MMD, but of course I would always reach for the YM and just recently sold the MMD. Great watch but now that I have had the enjoyment of photographic it, there is no use having it just sit there.

-I still have my IWC Aquatimer in Ti. The most comfortable and cool looking Ti watch I have ever found. I love the rugged look to it and it is my #1 casual wear watch. Perfect with jeans or shorts and T-shirts.

-I still have my travel watch - the UN Big Date Dual Time. I love the bi-directional date wheels, home time display and push button jumping hour local time setting. It is also great for travel to not have to bring multiple watches as it looks at home with shorts and T-shirts or with a tux and everthing in between. A unique piece I doubt I would ever sell. And yes, very comfortable case shape. I don't even know it is there.

-I aquired a fine pure dress watch finally. A Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle handwind in white gold. 38MM of perfection in every way. Worn only with suits for special occasions - like getting married...

-I still have my rhodium roman dialed Datejust 36MM with smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. This is the watch I reach for a lot when wearing shirt sleeves but casually. I wear french cuffs a lot and it is just a dream with those. Just so comfortable.

-And finally, I sprung for one of my ultra-grails. A LOT of money but you only live once right - and maybe not as long as you think. lol. I finally got a platinum Day Date 36MM with Glacier/Ice blue roman dial, President bracelet and smooth bezel. It is just insane. It is so comfortable I can't even tell you and that pale blue just has to be seen to be appreciated. It is very subtle. Just a hint of color really but just enough to set it off in the light. Funny, but the massive weight of the platinum on all parts actually makes the watch more comfortable as it keeps it from moving around on the wrist without having to have the bracelet too tight. Same deal, only worn with long sleeves like the DJ. And a word of advice on this: These watches look plenty big at 36MM even on big wrists (mine are 7 1/2") but only with long sleeves just above the watch. With short sleeves they look too small on the arm. Kind of an optical illusion but you will really notice it.

So that is it guys. I can't see adding much other than I have been waiting for a black ceramic bezel Sub so I will grab one of those when they launch. I had the GMT for a while and loved the feel of it but the large indices and GMT bezel isn't my thing visually. I much prefer the Subs smaller indices on the dial and bezel. Oh, and you all know how much I love fine column wheel chronographs so at some point I will buy probably either a Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle Chronograph or a Lange Datograph.

So there you go. A massive wordy post in classic RobbieG style. You are all probably asleep by now. Anyway, just wanted to give a plug to Rolex and this board for sparking my horological journey. I came here owning a Rolex watch and through reps discovered many other brands which eventually became gens and now I am back to where I started with my orignal tastes in tact. Thanks for accompanying me on my journey guys. It has been loads of fun.

Peace,

RG

Thanks Coolfire. Yeah, I just keep coming back to them and I guess I'm there to say. Rolex's in your collection? I know you have a Sub (gen I think?)and I forget what else. Don't know if you have a YM, DJs or DDs.

The Rolesium YM is the current star as it is summer so I'm wearing short sleeves a lot. The Day Date & Datejust doesn't get any short sleeve wear. I like the YM for its versatility and also comfort-wise something I didn't mention - The solid platinum bezel and dial do add a significant amount of weight to the watch. But that is a good thing as the bracelet is still light but the PT all at the top sort of settles the watch on the wrist and balances it, again without needing a tight bracelet. Many people think the PT is an insert because it kind of looks like it would be at a glance, but the whole bezel is one piece and the top is simply relief carved. Anyway, it is more platinum than people would think and it really does add to the comfort.

Though Rolex pisses me off in that platinum has come off its highs by nearly half (I should know - we trade it...) and yet they keep raising the prices. They make out like bandits especially on any watches with platinum in them - not to mention having their own foundary to boot. Man, I would like to have a piece of that company. If they ever went public their common would trade higher than Berkshire A shares. lol...

No gen, but a franken 5513. ;)

Yup, you said it right mate... The YM is such a versatile watch, you could wear anything with it! :thumbsupsmileyanim: It gives off a kind of "sparkle" which is really unique too...

And you said it right again, Rolex would trade higher than Warren Buffet's company. lol

Enjoyed the post Robbie!

Come on... let's see pics of the blue DD. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It is coming. I need to dust off the camera and get my sh*t together. I also have to re-install PS on my laptop as it got corrupted somehow. I'll try to get back to taking some pics real soon. I think that one is going to photograph really well, though pale blues as you know can be a bit elusive...

Ditto what By-Tor said. Good to see you back in the fold, Robbie. :)

Thanks Freddy. Of all people, you have inspired my journey and true appreciation for all things Rolex most of all. I have been busy with the shiny new stuff and that has given me all I need for now, but one day soon I'm gonna let myself go down the vintage path as well. Looking forward to it...

Here is a bit of (vintage) encouragement for you, Robbie

ubergrails1.jpg

And in case you missed it, Ubi recently put together a very tasty 5514 that is worth searching out in the Rolex forum.

Yes, I will check that out. The last Ubi thing I saw was his PO which I provided the bracelet for. And I meant to tell you I LOVE the albino project. It must have been hard to hunt that stuff down. You really pull the rabbit out of the hat on these things...

An awesome post, brother, awesome to see you on the board again :good: If Rolex is whetting your apetite at the moment, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest you have a look at the Tudors as well :) I absolutely love the 79190 dial, as the triangular markers at the cardinals make such a difference to the usual Submariner markers, both visually from an aesthetic point of view, but also visually from a functional point of view, providing larger indices to look at :) Following your example, I have no plans to build my collection beyond 'function/occasion/situation' watches, and now class those as:

Daily beater

Daily beater hot weather (on NATO or Tropic)

Travelling watch

Sports watch (chronograph)

Suit watch (casual but professional)

Formal watch (leather strap only)

Spare beater

To be fair, the beater, hot weather beater and travel watch could be effectively one watch, (GMT on Tropic would be my vote) but I think it is nice to have some variety, just to have the opportunity to wear and appreciate a different watch from time to time :) As you've sold on the MMD, I'll write it off my list for potential buys, and settle for another YM, as that really was a nice 'all round' watch to wear :)

@Robbie: I totally agree about the blue DD. I also have a weird fetish for blue dials and that particular DD must be one of the most beautiful blue dials ever.

Can't wait to see your photos.

PS: About that ceramic bezel Sub... I'm actually quite surprised how little interest it has generated in all watch forums. Nobody seems to care much about it. Not that it's a bad looking watch but those fat lugs are a departure from the classic Rolex look that you just praised. I don't see it much different from the GMTIIc... if GMT didn't grab you, I doubt the Sub will, either.

Just my 2c.

PS: About that ceramic bezel Sub... I'm actually quite surprised how little interest it has generated in all watch forums. Nobody seems to care much about it. Not that it's a bad looking watch but those fat lugs are a departure from the classic Rolex look that you just praised. I don't see it much different from the GMTIIc... if GMT didn't grab you, I doubt the Sub will, either.

Just my 2c.

You are probably right. I guess I have high hopes visually. I will say that the IIc really impressed me in terms of quality as the fit and finish is a step up. No real difference in comfort. Same deal as always and the size is right. Since I know I want a black dialed sports watch to fill that category (as I haven't abandoned the represented category theme - just added comfort and classic design), maybe I ought to grab a regular Sub now as a hedge. If I love the SubII I'll have no trouble selling and if I don't I'll just keep the original Sub. Food for thought...

An awesome post, brother, awesome to see you on the board again :good: If Rolex is whetting your apetite at the moment, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest you have a look at the Tudors as well :) I absolutely love the 79190 dial, as the triangular markers at the cardinals make such a difference to the usual Submariner markers, both visually from an aesthetic point of view, but also visually from a functional point of view, providing larger indices to look at :) Following your example, I have no plans to build my collection beyond 'function/occasion/situation' watches, and now class those as:

Daily beater

Daily beater hot weather (on NATO or Tropic)

Travelling watch

Sports watch (chronograph)

Suit watch (casual but professional)

Formal watch (leather strap only)

Spare beater

To be fair, the beater, hot weather beater and travel watch could be effectively one watch, (GMT on Tropic would be my vote) but I think it is nice to have some variety, just to have the opportunity to wear and appreciate a different watch from time to time :) As you've sold on the MMD, I'll write it off my list for potential buys, and settle for another YM, as that really was a nice 'all round' watch to wear :)

Thanks TJ. Man, you have a lot of beaters in the list. lol! And don't get me wrong, the MMD is superior to the YM in many ways to a purist watch collector. It is a substantial piece and a nice size in the "big" category. Quite thick and heavy. I still think its dial layout and "look" is probably cooler than the YM if I am to be objective. It is just that comfort and familiarity seem to be winning my favour. It is a subconcious thing to be sure that was probably always there. I'm just now choosing to listen to it.

My categories:

Dressy sports watch light dial (YM)

Casual sports watch dark dial (Pending - probably Sub or Sub II)

Casual sleeves watch (DJ - Oyster Bracelet)

Dressy sleeves watch (DD - President Bracelet)

Casual Chronograph dark dial (Ti Aquatimer)

Dressy Chronograph (Pending - VC Patrimony Chrono Lemania 2320 or Lange Datograph splurge for either...ouch $$$)

Formal Watch (VC Traditionelle Handwind)

Travel Watch (UN Big Date Dual Time)

You are probably right. I guess I have high hopes visually. I will say that the IIc really impressed me in terms of quality as the fit and finish is a step up. No real difference in comfort. Same deal as always and the size is right. Since I know I want a black dialed sports watch to fill that category (as I haven't abandoned the represented category theme - just added comfort and classic design), maybe I ought to grab a regular Sub now as a hedge. If I love the SubII I'll have no trouble selling and if I don't I'll just keep the original Sub. Food for thought...

I don't know what it is with those new fat lugs Rollies... they do absolutely NOTHING for me. They are nice lookers but they simply don't have the "Rolex spirit".

It's weird how much I've learned to like the "crappy flimsy clasp" and hollow old-style Oyster bracelet during the years. It has some unexplainable charm. It's so "Rolex".

Go for the classic 16610 man... that is a true classic and you don't even need a vintage then. That style is vintage... or should I say "timeless".

Robbie,Glad to see you back on the forum.

I have to agree with you, I started out with Rolex watches way back in the late 60's (Oh for the good old days, my first Sub was 500.00 brand new!!) I had a bunch over quite a few years, but went away for much the same reasons. Everyone was wearing gold plated quartz "Presidents". They were so bad, if you knew anything about Rolex watches, you could spot them from 20 feet away.Unfortunately, there were so many fakes around, folks just assumed if you were wearing a Rolex, it was a fake. And those back then were FAKES, not replicas!!I got taken in by the lure of more complicated, small brand watches that no one around these parts would know or recognize.While most of these were really nice watches, most of them just didn't "Scratch the itch". I bought and modded a few Rolex vintage, and then picked up a couple of genuine.Those got me back into Rolex. Now, although I have a few other brands sitting in the safe, I find myself wearing the Rolexes about 95% of the time. There is just something about them, really hard to describe, but to me they are just "right". They are comfortable,rugged and certainly not ostentatious and they can be worn with just about anything.I'm satisfied at this stage of life to be happy with my SS Rolexes and Tudor and occasionally wear something else for a change.

As much as I love the Rolexes, one "other brand" that I sold and wish now that I had back was my UN Dual Time Big Date. That was by far the easiest and simplest GMT watch I have ever owned. I suppose the genuine GMT II with the adjustable hour hand is similarly easy, but the Dual time was great, and the second time zone +- Adjustment was so convenient if you were traveling over several time zones. Not traveling as much now, but for around 5-6 years, I was traveling from the USA to Europe every couple of months and that was a handy watch to have.

As much as I love the Rolexes, one "other brand" that I sold and wish now that I had back was my UN Dual Time Big Date. That was by far the easiest and simplest GMT watch I have ever owned. I suppose the genuine GMT II with the adjustable hour hand is similarly easy, but the Dual time was great, and the second time zone +- Adjustment was so convenient if you were traveling over several time zones. Not traveling as much now, but for around 5-6 years, I was traveling from the USA to Europe every couple of months and that was a handy watch to have.

Agreed. The best GMT I have ever owned also. The best part is the date wheel jumps forward and backward across midnight so you don't have to reset dates on those longer trips. Works as a dress watch and a casual watch also which makes it ideal for business or personal travel and when combined you don't feel like you need to bring more than one watch..

UNgmt5.jpg

UNgmt15.jpg

Thanks TJ. Man, you have a lot of beaters in the list. lol! And don't get me wrong, the MMD is superior to the YM in many ways to a purist watch collector. It is a substantial piece and a nice size in the "big" category. Quite thick and heavy. I still think its dial layout and "look" is probably cooler than the YM if I am to be objective. It is just that comfort and familiarity seem to be winning my favour. It is a subconcious thing to be sure that was probably always there. I'm just now choosing to listen to it.

My categories:

Dressy sports watch light dial (YM)

Casual sports watch dark dial (Pending - probably Sub or Sub II)

Casual sleeves watch (DJ - Oyster Bracelet)

Dressy sleeves watch (DD - President Bracelet)

Casual Chronograph dark dial (Ti Aquatimer)

Dressy Chronograph (Pending - VC Patrimony Chrono Lemania 2320 or Lange Datograph splurge for either...ouch $$$)

Formal Watch (VC Traditionelle Handwind)

Travel Watch (UN Big Date Dual Time)

I think it's because I don't change watch very frequently, I figured needing to change to a different kind of strap would make a good reason for changing watch :) Bracelet is okay for most eventualities, but sometimes it gets a bit too hot for a bracelet, and that's when NATO or Tropic comes into play :) I hardly wear watches on leather straps at all now I've moved away from PAMs, and I think some of that is not wanting to take off a watch which is waterproof, just because water would damage the strap, so much easier to have a strap which is also truly waterproof as well :) I think you're quite right about DJs needing a cuff to truly work, in short sleeves they are just that little bit too small.

[Edit to add]

Not mine, but a fine example of this awesome dial :victory:

1070_0092-795x636.jpg

Great to see you back, Robbie! Hope all is well in life!

Funny... You know, I think the natural progression for a lot of watch collectors is to start with Rolex, venture off for a bit, discover everything else, and then come back to Rolex. I know I have... Many times! Always thinking the grass is greener on the other side, and coming to realize that everything I wanted was right where I was to begin with.

Odd how that works...

:)

Cheers!

//ubi

Hello Robbie, sorry I'm so late to chime in here. Did you say you've never dipped a toe in the vintage Rolex pool? :shock:

Ah, you're in for a a treat.

Let me offer a suggestion that I think will find a place in your Top Five: the Submariner 6536.

It has the classic Rolex look

It absolutely disappears on the wrist

A good gilt dial with an aged amber plexi crystal takes on a whole "golden" tone

Thin, light, sturdy

Domed crystal.

Lots of people complain about domed plexi crystals getting scratched all the time, but once you accept that, you find the dome and its optical distortions become as important to the "look" as the case shape. It actually gives the watch more character, as its appearance changes from different angles. The dome is what I admire most on my vintages.

Give one a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately a rep won't do it, as nobody has yet captured how thin these things really are. :tu:

Hello Robbie, sorry I'm so late to chime in here. Did you say you've never dipped a toe in the vintage Rolex pool? :shock:

Ah, you're in for a a treat.

Let me offer a suggestion that I think will find a place in your Top Five: the Submariner 6536.

It has the classic Rolex look

It absolutely disappears on the wrist

A good gilt dial with an aged amber plexi crystal takes on a whole "golden" tone

Thin, light, sturdy

Domed crystal.

Lots of people complain about domed plexi crystals getting scratched all the time, but once you accept that, you find the dome and its optical distortions become as important to the "look" as the case shape. It actually gives the watch more character, as its appearance changes from different angles. The dome is what I admire most on my vintages.

Give one a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately a rep won't do it, as nobody has yet captured how thin these things really are. :tu:

The vintage pursuit is definitely next on the agenda. Looking forward to it and I think I'll take your advice. Thanks again.