When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pugwash's Iwc Gst Titanium

Pugwash

This is my most popular watch. It's my default state if I can't decide what to wear.

The IWC GST Chrono (3707-003) was the heir to the legacy of the titanium watches IWC made with Porsche in 1978, the first ever titanium watches. It was, in my opinion, the high watermark in their range of titanium chronos, simple and basic enough to be seen as a design classic while losing the overtly 80s stylings of its predecessors. The bracelet design is commonly (at least by me) regarded as the finest metal bracelet design ever made by a major manufacturer. Details on the bracelet are available here.

120673-21666.jpg

Pre-service, stunning watch

I won my IWC GST from Precious Time as one of his raffle prizes. My first one packed in fairly soon after getting it, and PT stepped up to the plate and willingly replaced it, making me exceedingly happy.

120673-21667.png

Stock shot, pre-redial

The movement in this IWC model is based on the ETA Valjoux 7750, with several key modifications to increase longevity and accuracy, none of which are available, unfortunately, in the replica. This replica has an Asian 7750 copy running at 28,800 vibrations per hour.

120673-21668.jpg

spinny-spinny-spin-thing

Knowing that these 7750s were touch and go, and having botched a calibration, I decided that as this watch was going to be with me for some time, it would be prudent to send it off to our very own The Zigmeisterzumba to get a complete service and calibration. The Zigmeister graciously relented to take time out of his busy schedule to take a picture mid-service, and you can see in this picture the sheer amount of complicated wibbly bits that go into a chronograph movement.

120673-21669.jpg

The master's bench, a privilege

When it came back to me, the day-wheel popped off, causing the day to half-change every evening. Luckily for me, The Zigmeister once again showed his character (in case you're wondering. It's his world, we merely live in it) and said he'd see to it once he returned from his holiday. During this time, I picked up a genuine dial, albeit with some minor cosmetic damage. The Zigmeister said that he'd be willing to fit the dial. Off back to Canada then ...

120673-21670.jpg

ready to be packed up to Canada

I returned home yesterday to find a pile of watches waiting for me, but this was the first I opened. It was with some trepidation that I opened the packet, but my fears were unfounded as I now had simply the most accurate replica IWC GST on these boards.

120673-21671.jpg

Stock shot - post modifications

The service on the 7750 movement is too soon to judge, but The Zigmeister said that the movement was pristine and in my mind, that means it should last for a good few years before it heads back to Canada for its next service.

120673-21672.jpg

post-service, pre-frankendial, seeing the sights

You will all see many more pictures of this watch over the following years. Feel free to ask any questions in this thread.

Thanks go out to the following people for having in some way affected this article, be it in a passive or active role: Precious Time, The Zigmeisterzumba, Ubiquitous, By-Tor, Richard Tracy, Edge, Repaustria and TTK. I may have forgotten some of my influencers while writing this list, so if you think you should be on this list, you probably should.

Was it not possible for The Zigmeister to super lume the hands? His work looks really good.

I don't doubt for a minute he could. He is that talented. However, I never asked as I believe it'd be easier to buy pre-lumed hands from Ofrei, as superlume would not be accurate for this watch. I'm sure the hands are a standard size.

If not, it's no big deal. It's visually 100% on the wrist in daytime, and to me, that's enough. Close examination off the wrist? It'd still pass muster. Hell, pre-modding, it passed the AD test.

In total, this project has cost me (assuming retail and not counting the fact the watch cost $55 of raffle tickets) the price of an unmodded MBW Sub. The movement isn't as good as an IWC movement and the case isn't pressure-hardened titanium, but these are invisible differences, and The Zigmeister has fettled the Asian 7750, so it's as good as I'll ever need. :Jumpy:

If nothing else, you can use the proud grin on my face as an advert for The Zigmeister's outstanding service and craftsmanship. I suspect he doesn't need another advert as he's most likely got enough work to keep him busy until entropy kicks in and gives us the Heat-death of the Universe. :blink:

Well, I've been wearing this all day and it catches my eye often. I don't know what The Zigmeister did, but I reckon he put some magic dust in it. It looks ... more beautiful than before. Like the blacks are richer and the crystal clearer. The Genuine dial seems more deep and rich in colour. It just looks cleaner behind the crystal.

I don't know, it's not something I'll be able to photograph, so you'll just have to take my word for it. It's much improved.

Oh, and the chrono button clicks in much smoother and feels more positive. Amazing work, The Zigmeister.

121555-21483.jpg

Not to mess up Pug, but that misalligned day font as it was in mine and that piece of white varnish broken off would bug me... but I am rep-sick.

The missing white paint is only really noticeable in enlarged photos and the day wheel has never bothered me.

I'd rather have missing paint and no noticeable way of knowing it's a rep than the usual tells. :Jumpy:

ps. Pics of your daywheel? I am considering sending you my watch.

That is a watch that I keep coming back to over and over as I look at your pics. Ever since I saw this I have coveted it. IWC has some classic and elegant designs beutiful to look at. I just never got around to ordering it this year and now there are even more gorgeous IWC reps out there and I have been reading about potentiall a new Big Pilot. OMG. Some dealer is going to get rich off me next year.

Usil

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely watch :1a:

I have a genuine dial for mine too, and want to get an ETA 7750 too. Where can you get hands ? Or would it be possible to lume these hands as there's nothing there at the moment.

You can see the difference on the 60 seconds dial, where there is a brighter marker at the 0 mark. This isn't there on the rep dial.