When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My next Breitling?

By-Tor

Ok guys, here's another useless post.

Here's the deal: I traded my both awesome Explorer II's... yes even the white franken. I don't know why but I need to shake things up a little every now and then.

I was going to buy yet another gen but after I opened a savings bank account for my son, I simply can't justify putting several K's to a watch anymore. I have enough of them. My kid is going to get all the spare money from now on... first things first. And to be honest, I'm just as happy with the reps (as long as I get my drug regularly = new watches every now and then). :D

But I've gotten the Breitling bug and now I want another Breitling. This time with a Pilot bracelet.

Navitimer is out... the old reps simply aren't quite up there. The TT version was amazing though but I don't want a gold watch. One from the Bentley line would be great but I guess the reps are even worse than Navitimers?

Blackbird with all brushed finish is definitely my #1 favorite... I love the watch but I don't trust the seconds at '3 model rep. Whenever I'm buying a new rep I always think that I'm going to keep it for good. I have only a few reps left... only a select few have truly been keepers for me... but the ones that I have now are going to get a ETA 7750 transplant when/if they ever fail. If you buy a seconds at '3 model, there's no guarantees that you can ever source a spare movement for it later.

I know it's a bit silly as reps aren't that expensive... some people might even think that they're disposable toys, but not me... I'm a practical person. Some of the reps that I've had for a long time are very special, like my old school SMP Chrono. It's good to know that there's a "plan b" available if the watch fails. That's why I have always preferred reps with the basic 12-9-6 layout.

I wouldn't mind trying the original Breitling BCE v2... I mean the one with great dial... white lume tabs (and supposedly great bracelet), and "not as nice" date font. I haven't seen these for sale at all. I wouldn't mind buying one in mint condition (if someone just had one to sell in EU). I've been looking for the original BCE v2 for 6 months now... and I've only seen some bad beat up ones.

If I can't find one, I'm probably getting the BCE B01. The only issue with the B01 is that it's so blingy and I'm not sure if I'd like it, long term. Most of my friends sold them quite rapidly. Or maybe I should wait for the new 42mm PO? Or perhaps you could talk to me to the Blackbird anyway?

I need another watch but I'm not sure what to get. All I know that the watch fever is raising again. :Jumpy:

Thanks guys.

PS: Feel free to post pics of your Blackbirds, B01's, Bentleys, BCE v2's.

i'd vote for the blackbird. it looks great on a black rubber or calf strap (not to mention the brushed bracelet). here's mine on genuine rubber.

dsc023772764575yj3.jpg

with regard to the movement, if it gives you issues, most forum dealers will take care of it post-purchase with a service. i think you know that the b01 isn't going to be a long-term keeper in your collection, whereas the blackbird has enough interesting elements (all brushed case, big date, classic breitling chronograph looks) to provide lasting appeal.

just my $0.02 of course,

deltatahoe

@hackr: That's an absolute STUNNER man. Appreciate the offer mate... and I actually DID consider the Seawolf... great reps... but it's not too much of a departure from the Fish. And I have that style covered. :)

@Mike: I know the SOH is an amazing rep. But for some reason that doesn't do it for me. I dunno what it is... maybe it's too Rolex-like somehow. Not that there's anything wrong with Rolex but...

Anyone selling their BCE v2 in EU? :whistling:

I love BCE's (although I'm wearing my Blackbird right now...which is awesome!). I have 3 rep BCE's and 1 gen.

Here's a picture of my favorite BCE rep. It's a V2 which has had the following modifications:

- An updated datewheel (custom made by me: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=108956)

- Relumed (it's even brighter than the Gen: http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=109856)

- Black Rehaut (instead of the stock, incorrect, grey one). It cost me a black dial, but it made me happy.

bce_1.jpg

090721_BCE.jpg

Great shots guys! Keep 'em coming!

I've given up finding a great BCE v2 already... so Blackbird it might be.

Mmm that Blackbird looks amazing. Any wrist shots on a bracelet? :whistling:

@BT -- "not too much of a departure from the Fish"?!?!...only 10mm of thickness of a departure... :rolleyes:

and much more badass... :whistling:

i'm with dt!...the Bird is one of the best signature Breitling pieces...

add a little z-dust and some chief-trickery and you get this:

4.jpg

bb3medium.jpg

bb4medium.jpg

but then again, if you want a departure from the Fish and another piece that's signature Breitling, how about a Datora - crystal optional, of course...

datora2.jpg

datora3.jpg

Yeah I know hackr... but I have the thickness thing covered with my Skyland v2. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Because I want to own only very few watches I want to have some variation. Thus, I need a Breit with the Pilot bracelet. Remember, I currently have only 4 reps.

Navitimers... I dunno... if only they had a great rep of the Fighters edition then this would be a no-brainer.

breitling-fighters-dial2.jpg

bar none, IMO, is polexpete's franken Navi... :victory:

tricom-3.jpg

what's great about the Datora, tho, is that it's larger than the standard Navi...right in between the standard Navi and the World/GMT...and the dial is pure Breitling...

and just to stir it up, BCEs are Blackbird wannabees... :pardon:

I just bought this one from one of our member... I have not received it yet. It's a Breitling SA Black Steel. It should be pretty huge, but since it's black... may be it's ok. BT, since you and I like Skyland very much, maybe this is the next up? The coating on the stainless steel is pretty interesting to me.

P1020562.jpg

+1 on the Blackbird. That's a real looker. Personally, I would love either a Navi Fighters, or if they ever repped this: A Breitling Navitimer Spatiographe

img56328467.jpg

breitlingspatioinfo.gif

As a side note - yet another reason I really HATE Flash websites - The Breitling Site is so annoying to load! It looks nice, but not well implemented at all. :thumbdown:

you'll never regret the Blackbird -- and i know of one that is modded that might be avail, BT!...not mine, of course...but i do have my Breitling network... :whistling:

geez, man...between my offer of the ti Seawolf and Eton's Bentley - one would think you are popular on this Board... ;)

R-

SO nice watches guys. Keep 'em coming! And your offers and suggestions are much appreciated. :)

I thought most Blackbirds have the "pearl not centered" issue. Or was it just a temporary QC thing?

I thought most Blackbirds have the "pearl not centered" issue. Or was it just a temporary QC thing?

i think its similar to the Skyland lume dot situation. Some are centered, most aren't ...

Resize-Assistant-3.jpg

personally i think there's so much going on the bezel that the pearl doesn't matter as much

I think the Blackbird (brushed) is the only way to go.

Get a decent one thats been QC'd. Decent pearl, date numbers that match up. Oil up the bracelet. My only critique of the BB as rep is that the QC is/was nowhere near as good as the BCE.

A good watchsmith can service the movement for you.

You've got your Aeromarine Skyland, rep Navi's aren't good enough (what about a Legende or Datora?), you had a BCE but sold it (don't go back)...whats left? Professional? Well that ain't gonna work in rep-world.

So...back to the Blackbird. I sold mine last year as i had too many Lings, but recently I think I need to get another, and get it modded. AR'd and lumed!

:)