When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

repair rep or buy a seiko, citizen, or wenger...

wizardusa

hey guys... recently my Explorer I rep broke.. (well something is rattling inside), and I contacted Vac and asked for a quote and got the price back.

It looks like it's going be around $186 for the repair, and if I want to relume it, it would be even more...

I bought this from andrew, trustywatchguy... I got the "ETA" Version, (Which I still dont even know if it's actually ETA or 21 Asia, if anyone can tell me how to tell, thatd be awesome)... Been wearing it every day... I like this watch because of the automatic movement, and especially the design and sapphire glass...

I am wondering if I should get this serviced, or get a Seiko, Citizen, or Wenger (non-rep watch) for the price I can get it repaired at.

I guess the pros of getting this fixed would be finally figuring out if its actually the ETA movement or the asia movement for sure, keeping the design and automatic movement...

cons would be, I can get a brand name watch with a warranty for the same price, but id be giving up the same design and automatic movement and the "name"...

what do you guys think?

Are you sure the Rotor did not simply come unscrewed, or off its bearing. If it came off the bearing, it is probably fine (press on, or remove and treat as hand-wind), if the screw came out and bounced into the balance, it may need some work. ???

If you do not have any 'reliable' gen watches having a Seiko, Citizen, "Victorinox" (then Wenger) IMHO, in you collection is not a bad idea. Search Tip for Seiko: Search "Seiko Prospex" on the bay or elsewhere for the better than average Seikos.

After 30-40 reps, 10 or so knock-offs and 15-20 gens, I finally bought a Seiko a few months ago.

IMG_76521.jpg

I got it from Harold over in HK for $140 shipped. I think everyone should have a good beater and this certainly is one.

Invictas aren't bad either- I like the ones with the Miyota 8215 automatic movement in them. I got this sub-like Diver for $104

51Md2tWZL_SL500_AA280_1.jpg

I took off the black bezel insert and glued in a stainless steel YM insert for a slightly different look.

I bought a beginner YM from Trusty for $100 or so, white dial w/ black markers, asian 21j movement- another good beater.

I would think you could get your watch fixed for less than $186- looking around for a local watchsmith is always a good idea. I would figure your movement is either a swiss eta or the asian eta clone. You could buy a $50 Octo on the bay and have a watchmaker swap it in your Explorer I for another $50 max- make sure you buy one with the eta 2846-2 movement.

And like Ronin says, if the rotor came off, it might be as simple as screwing it back on- just don't let the screw get into the movement!

There is a huge difference between the feel of an ETA and an Asia 21j (2813 or 4813) ... when you wind by the crown, a real ETA is smooth as glass in the way it turns. (clone ETA is smooth too) ... Asia 21j is rough when you wind it. You can feel the rough gears as they turn.

You might even hear a BUZZZZZZZ gear noise when you hand wind an Asia 21j.

Well, you'll know for sure when you send it off. It is extremely rare for a forum approved merchant to send out the wrong movement. It's not on purpose, I'm sure .. otherwise they would be "fired" from the Forums they belong to.

I agree that a rattle inside the watch is simply the rotor falling off. It's held on by 1 screw.

I'd suggest getting the back off the watch, taking some photos, then posting them so people can advise you about what you definitely have :) Easy (relatively) way to get the back off a Rolex, is to put on a pair of dishwashing gloves (must be the 'grippy', rather than the 'smooth-feel' kind) and then with thumbs at the top and bottom, keep applying pressure in a counter-clockwise direction until the back starts to loosen, then unscrew. To replace the caseback, just reverse the procedure. Keep applying pressure till the caseback will not turn any further, and it will be sealed :victory:

edit* i got the mopic of the movement.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2626/mmspicture.jpg

sry for double post, but i tihnk i got it fixed. ok wow i can't remember the name of the piece.. but the thing that spins LOL, was off, it the gear was still in there will the screw, so i unscrewed it then clamped it together lightly using a needle nose plyers and the rubber dish washing glove between (so i dont scratch or apply too much force), it looks like the gear is holding the spinning thing by 5 ball bearings (i forget, i just assembled it back),i lined it up with the 2 other gears then screwed it back on.

i think this happened because i dropped it rather than anything else...

oh, and i applied some 100% silicon oil on the o-ring before i closed it... hope thats ok.

Edited by wizardusa

I have a Citizen Calibre 8700 which has seen all manner of abuse and has run like an absolute champ. In terms of reliability and performance, there is not even a question that quartz watches are better in every conceivable way in that regard. I think a nice Seiko Arctura/Velatura/Sportura or Citizen Eco Drive, the Calibre series stand out as affordable but gorgeous, either should serve you well for years and years. When my last one stopped working, I just went and bought another one, it's nice to upgrade every few years, AND it makes economic sense ;o)