When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate Franken Abyss

bt430

Here's the latest version of PBdads Abyss. For those of you who don't know what he's up to, the idea was to take a DSSD and push it 50 years into the future. One of the features he offered was a display back. I was on the fence about it until he came up with this twist which is a gen1030 movement which is the same movement used in the 6538 big crown Bond sub. It's not finished yet I think we're going to go destro with it enjoy the pictures.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I have to say this one baffes me, however well it is executed. When most are getting anal over the smallest detail that gives away the fact their rep is not a gen, others seem to go for a total fantasy such as this. And a gen movement..............why? The use of a Werthers Original for the pearl is an interesting concept though ;)

Oh and it looks like rubbing off the chronometer details have also rubbed off some of the depth markings on the dial..............

I have to say this one baffes me, however well it is executed. When most are getting anal over the smallest detail that gives away the fact their rep is not a gen, others seem to go for a total fantasy such as this. And a gen movement..............why? The use of a Werthers Original for the pearl is an interesting concept though ;)

Oh and it looks like rubbing off the chronometer details have also rubbed off some of the depth markings on the dial..............

I know this isn't going to be everyones cup of tea. I thought long and hard on this one. Here's a bit of the back story of my thought process when kicking this concept around with PBdad. Though I think much of the work here is amazing it does baffle me a bit in the same way this project baffles you. The effort and expense of trying to recreate something that already exists was not what I was after. I think the biggest tell is usually the person wearing the watch but that's another discussion entirely. My hobby is not watches but car customization. Stock anything never really did it for me. Having something that everyone else has is not something I'd be attracted to so this would be a very natural progression for me. I wanted something different, unique, larger than 40mm, vintage and custom at the same time. Again as in cars what's one of the first things you do? mod the engine, so we dropped the super charger in there that was the reason for the gen movement. I know this kind of thinking is not what is usually presented here but I can't help to wonder what fantastic work could come out of the amazingly talented people here if they stopped following the pattern of what already exists and just let their talent and imagination take them where it will.

I know this isn't going to be everyones cup of tea. I thought long and hard on this one. Here's a bit of the back story of my thought process when kicking this concept around with PBdad. Though I think much of the work here is amazing it does baffle me a bit in the same way this project baffles you. The effort and expense of trying to recreate something that already exists was not what I was after. I think the biggest tell is usually the person wearing the watch but that's another discussion entirely. My hobby is not watches but car customization. Stock anything never really did it for me. Having something that everyone else has is not something I'd be attracted to so this would be a very natural progression for me. I wanted something different, unique, larger than 40mm, vintage and custom at the same time. Again as in cars what's one of the first things you do? mod the engine, so we dropped the super charger in there that was the reason for the gen movement. I know this kind of thinking is not what is usually presented here but I can't help to wonder what fantastic work could come out of the amazingly talented people here if they stopped following the pattern of what already exists and just let their talent and imagination take them where it will.

I understand what you are saying, but to use the car analogy it is a bit like buying a Kia, putting a body kit and Ferrari badges on it, then fitting a Ferrari engine and then bashing it up to make it look old. No-one will believe it is either vintage or a Ferrari, and that sums up my bafflement with this. I can see it as a very attractive hommage with 'Abyss' on the dial and people would love it. With Rolex on the dial, all it does is scream "fake". When this hobby seems to be all about getting your rep as close to gen as possible it is a somewhat strange move to make it look clearly fake (I really don't see anyone doing this to a real Deepsea!). It is a hommage and should be labelled as such in my opinion. As regards the movement, the gen movement is very overpriced for what it is, an old auto movement, and a decent ETA would make better economic sense.

But having said that, whatever rocks your boat. The fact I don't understand it is neither here nor there and if it gives you pleasure, that's what it's all about, so enjoy! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I understand what you are saying, but to use the car analogy it is a bit like buying a Kia, putting a body kit and Ferrari badges on it, then fitting a Ferrari engine and then bashing it up to make it look old. No-one will believe it is either vintage or a Ferrari, and that sums up my bafflement with this. I can see it as a very attractive hommage with 'Abyss' on the dial and people would love it. With Rolex on the dial, all it does is scream "fake". When this hobby seems to be all about getting your rep as close to gen as possible it is a somewhat strange move to make it look clearly fake (I really don't see anyone doing this to a real Deepsea!). It is a hommage and should be labelled as such in my opinion. As regards the movement, the gen movement is very overpriced for what it is, an old auto movement, and a decent ETA would make better economic sense.

But having said that, whatever rocks your boat. The fact I don't understand it is neither here nor there and if it gives you pleasure, that's what it's all about, so enjoy! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I certainly respect your position I seem to be a bit out of step with how things work here as I am a new comer and still trying to understand the lay of the land here. I could be wrong, probably am, but I would think and hope, there's room in this hobby for something more than who's the best counterfeiter. Shouldn't artistic interpretation have a home here? Especially if you take into consideration the talents of some of the folks here. I'm mixing apples and oranges but if you look at what the Project X and ProHunter folks are doing couldn't one make the case that with the proper means this concept could be extended to a gen?

I certainly respect your position I seem to be a bit out of step with how things work here as I am a new comer and still trying to understand the lay of the land here. I could be wrong, probably am, but I would think and hope, there's room in this hobby for something more than who's the best counterfeiter. Shouldn't artistic interpretation have a home here? Especially if you take into consideration the talents of some of the folks here. I'm mixing apples and oranges but if you look at what the Project X and ProHunter folks are doing couldn't one make the case that with the proper means this concept could be extended to a gen?

No I don't think you're out of step at all, the main thing about a forum like this is the interest in, and love of, watches.I think though most members, not all, would be looking for the most accurate and nearest the gen rep. Artistic impression I don't have a problem with, it's the dichotomy between something purporting to be a real Rolex and that clearly isn't. If someone was producing such a model as a gen, in the way Project X and Pro Hunter are doing (but of course it invalidates the Rolex warranty and any such watch taken into an AD or Service Centre would be considered a counterfeit) then it would be more valid as a rep I guess. As I say, ignoring the gen movement issue as it's a personal choice, if the dial had Abyss on it I feel it would be taken more seriously as something in its own right rather than a fantasy couterfeit.

Very cool! As much as a traditionalist that I am, this piece makes a great statement as to the vision and ingenuity of some of forum members.

Though I agree that the 1030 is an overkill, it can be parted out at any time. Almost everyone can make a rep look gen by replacing and modifying parts. But it takes ingenuity for someone to create a Rolex that looks like something that the lead character from Fallout would wear!!!

pbdad...how about throwing this sucker on a wide, thick leather NATO with a UTC module????

The 1030 is neither pretty nor well known (outside of vintage Rolex collector circles), so I do not see what you gain from using it in this watch (other than being able to splash the 'Rolex' name around). It seems to me that if your goal is uniqueness & individuality, any number of more attractive, unique-looking movements (including a tourbillion or digital quartz) would have been more fitting.

p.s. I spent a number of years restoring British sportscars &, in my experience, oem/stock always resulted in higher values to a wider range of customers. Different strokes I guess. :drinks:

I spent a number of years restoring British sportscars...

Freddy, that statement does more to help me understand you than anything I've ever previously read on this forum! Anyone who has had to do battle with "The Prince of Darkness" always emerges from the battles a bit twisted! :rofl: I've cursed ol' George many a time, in the dark, at the side of the road...

I spent a number of years restoring British sportscars

Alot of the skills required to (re)produce these

79spit-beforeafter2.jpg

cr_stag1.jpg

cr_sseven1.jpg

(That is my business partner wearing the sunglasses in these pics)

Are directly transferable to the restoration/construction of these

012-2_2a__tonemapped1.jpg

triumph1165090042__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

raybans0041.jpg

In my experience, a vintage car (which we built) that exactly matches the original sales brochure

1978spitfire.jpg

Is preferable to a customized car like this

Image1-34.jpg

Even though I'm a die-hard BMW rider there's always been a soft spot in my heart for the old 650 Yamaha. I guess because the engine reminds me so much of the Triumph 650 Bonneville engine... Good looking bike.

Bt, back on subject...

I think I have a love/hate thing going on when I look at your watch. Well, ok not really a hate thing but I do see room for constructive improvement that IMO would greatly enhance your custom piece.

First of all, I really do love your watch, and I admire the thoughtfulness that went into building it. IMO, the 1030 movement is the icing on the cake. After all, if you're going to put a gen movement in a fake watch, lol, you might as well be honest about it. Although, when things are put into perspective, the movement certainly adds credibility to the watch. Almost like an aluminum 427 in a fake A/C Cobra (or, choose your real engine/kit car combo).

Now, for the improvements, I would definitely have another dial and hands done by RG. I have seen him re-lume dials that vintage experts would swear were gen. Besides than that, nothing beats a gen 800 crown, and a gen rivet bracelet.

Overall, the watch looks awesome. Congrats on a fine project, and wear it well.

+1 :victory:

I agree with everything you've said (and am very much the same in that I prefer 'custom' over 'stock') but I think that boldened part really says it all, and I think that by simply 'building to an established design', people are not fully utilizing their creativity to the maximum. :pardon:

In my experience, a vintage car (which we built) that exactly matches the original sales brochure

1978spitfire.jpg

Is preferable to a customized car like this

Image1-34.jpg

I would agree that the bottom car is probably not the best suited for that model of wheels, however, if it was to have a set of these wheels instead...

original-ferrari-250-GT-california.jpg

...while still custom, I think it would be more 'in keeping' with the overall aesthetic of the car than what is currently fitted :)

I, for 1, would love to see some 100% original designs from members, but customizing/personalizing a Rolex is akin to urbanizing a 'Benz, which is not my cup of tea.

I can see what you mean, and of course, to each his own :) I think the Abyss might be a 'less controversial' project if it was simply a case of 'future-aging' the case and components, rather than modifying and replacing them with other parts.