When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new watch arrived this morning! Chuffed! (pic heavy)

fizz

Well after wanting to buy a 'decent' watch for over 5 years i have finally bought a nice time piece which i thought i would share with you folk since i got a lot of help and advice from the members here. Everyone i have encountered so far have been nothing short of kind. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I had been toying with the idea of a rep watch as a daily wear but the ones i like seem to have complex movements and as such need to be serviced etc and had common faults which put me off a bit. :g:

What i decided to do was spend a decent amount on a daily watch and then buy a couple of high end reps for the watches i can only dream of being able to afford the original examples.

Right... to the watch i have bought. Its a Seiko Premier Chronograph SPC051P1

Some blurb from the Seiko website;

To combine a full function alarm chronograph with a perpetual calendar was an irresistible challenge, but to achieve it in a watch that retains the ease of use and classic appeal of Premier is a very considerable achievement. The key to the success is the dual function of the center hand. It indicates the date, month and leap year in the time of day mode and seconds in the chronograph mode, thus leaving the dial clean and easy to read. Once again, the very highest timekeeping technology is presented with a classic, restrained demeanor. This is the very essence of SEIKO Premier.

Nice design and looks good on you. Is this a mechanical watch though? If so I didn't realize that Seiko did those kind of complications and as usual I learn something new everyday here...

Thanks and yeah its mechanical as far as im aware. For the price it bloody should be! :bangin:

By mechanical I mean does it run on a spring, or does it run on a battery? All non-digital watches have mechanisms of some kind to move the hands of course. I found the watch in a search but couldn't get any info on the movement. Just curious. The price seems pretty low for a free sprung perpetual movement, but then again as we all know those Asians are very clever. lol.

The Seiko Kinetic series are automatic movements only in that they have a rotor to supply energy. Where they differ from proper automatic movements is that the 'kinetic' energy produced by the spinning rotor is transferred into electrical energy through a small dynamo and stored in a capacitor. The watch runs a traditional quartz-type movement. The complications are computerized by microchips, not by springs and levers and gears as in our automatic movements ;o)

Now the Seiko Spring Drive... That's an entirely different kettle of fish. That uses a spinning rotor to produce electricity to power a microchip, but this is used to calibrate a traditional mainspring against a quartz oscillator, so you get the extreme accuracy of a quartz with the sweeping seconds hand of a traditional automatic. These represent what I consider true innovation in watch design. Though the Sky Moon Tourbillon by PP is really something too... ;o)