When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Yuki 1016 Explorer I Case - first pics

Brightight

For all those interested in the results of the Yuki 1016 case, please see some pics below, all comments welcome! The case seems reasonable, though I am not in any way, shape or form an expert. One thing that does worry me, and again I would appreciate opinions, is after taking these pics, I put it in the Ultrasonic to clear off any dirt or oil during which the bezel complete with crystal popped off with evidence of glue/sealant on the bezel to case joint.. I have measured the outside diameter of the crystal mount and it is 30mm which is 0.5mm bigger than I expected it to be. The inner diameter of the bezel is correct at 31mm but I have doubts about whether a Tropic 22 with fit without modifications. The crystal supplied is well and truly wedged in the bezel but is a push fit on the case so obviously not quite correct (I did expect and intend to replace the crystal). I've fitted a gen 6mm crown for the pics. The case arrived with a few small 'dings' in the bezel, possibly from being gripped ina vice or chuck, though as these are similar to what I would expect after a week's wear I am not too bothered.

FE001.jpg

FE002.jpg

FE003.jpg

FE004.jpg

FE005.jpg

FE006.jpg

JMB and I have concluded that plastic crystals do vary! And of course, finding Rolex info on sizes is tough at best. SternKruz is decent about giving ID and OD of crystals, G-S, Germanov-Simon, in NY state gives only OD, as I recall. Clark's has good prices and Ofrei is OK if you order a couple- if they carry the T-22. CousinsUK is also a good source. I guess you order up $20-30 worth of crystals and hope something fits. Also, there's a T-38 maybe which fits on a DJ case w/o a cyclops, as I recall.

The case looks nice, which movement were you going to fit in there?

JMB and I have concluded that plastic crystals do vary!

I've gone through the Sternkreuz catalog looking for something close to a Tropic 22, and came up empty. As far as I know, the only suppliers of T22s (the newer style with the beveled edge) are Clark and GS. The exact reference number of the latter's escapes me right now, but Automatico provided it in a recent post. As you you say, though, the crystals do vary and it looks as if the Clark T22 may be a bit too tall, and may require some sanding. I hope to confirm that soon.

Brightight: Like Andy, I can't see the pics at work, unfortunately, but you already know my early impressions!

I'm going to order up a T22 from Clarks and see how I get on. Unfortunately Cousins have both gen and aftermarket T22 crystals shown as "Currently part restricted/unavailable".

Yuki had the case made to order apparently (I had to wait a few weeks for it), they don't actually stock it, so I don't think an exchange is necessarily an option. However if I've got to find someone with a lathe to take a gnat's pubic hair off the crystal mount, it's not the end of the world.

I have a 2783 fully cleaned and serviced and lined up to go in there (I like the 2783 it seems a slightly better quality movement than the 2846) just waiting for a two position setting lever spring to arrive and fit, also a 2846, 2836.2 and 2824.2 waiting on the sidelines just in case. Exciting times!

I would try Clarks T22. If it fits (I suspect it will), then keep an eye peeled for a gen xtal. The important thing, for me, are the engravings between the lugs, which appear to be proper engravings & not laser etchings. The slight dings & scratches belong there, but can easily be buffed out if they bother you.

I would try Clarks T22. If it fits (I suspect it will), then keep an eye peeled for a gen xtal. The important thing, for me, are the engravings between the lugs, which appear to be proper engravings & not laser etchings. The slight dings & scratches belong there, but can easily be buffed out if they bother you.

Thanks Freddy, I'll do that. yes the engravings are indeed engravings and not etchings. The dings don't worry me, though as it is in theory brand new, they shouldn't be there till I add them :D

The case neck should be 29.5mm.

A genuine 25-22 rolex crystal is .75mm thick at the base and a GS 464-64-C is same as the rolex 22, maybe a hair thicker. The bezel ID is somewhere around 31mm (I do not have one handy to measure). With aftmkt bezels, I usually have to fit the bezel to the crystal after the crystal is mounted on the case.

The crystal will expand a little bit when pushed down on the crystal neck.

If the bezel needs to be sized, measure the crystal you are going to use after it is pushed down on the case and then cut the bezel to fit. It's a good idea to have 1 or 2 spare crystals exactly the same so the bezel will fit them all if you need to replace one later.

I would not spend the extra $$ for a genuine crystal when the GS will work for around $10. I have worn my 1016 project watch quite a bit since October 2008 and the GS crystal is holding up fine.

If the bezel stops just after it goes over the top of the crystal, it is too tight and may crack the crystal. If you can pry the bezel off with your fingernails, it is too loose.

The bezel should slip over the crystal in one smooth motion with very little or no chatter. A good crystal press is a necessity and aluminum cups are better because plastic cups can flex and allow the bezel to get out of level.

I measure the installed diameter of the crystal at it's base and them make the bezel .003" - .004" smaller on the ID.

At least they got the bezel pretty close...

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news, and for me the last straw. My 1016 Franken is, for now, officially dead.

My Clarks Tropic 22 arrived today but it neither fits on the case, nor does the bezel fit over it. The old crystal was very tight in the bezel so I pressed it out and measured properly -

yw006.jpg

yw007.jpg

I have emailed Yuki to arrange a return and refund. I'm afraid I cannot recommend this case as the basis for a franken. I really don't think it is acceptable that it arrives with a broken and incorrect crystal that doesn't fit and leaks like a sieve. And to have to have the case and bezel machined after paying $450 also doesn't sit right with me. After the disappointment with the incorrect dial and the flawed 7206 bracelet (upside down "Rolex on the clasp, and doesn't take gen springbars), I'm going to have to do a rethink on this entire project. Yuki has been no problem to deal with and his refunds have been immediate, just a pity the product is so badly flawed.

Rough news! I would've thought the Yuki case might have too narrow a bezel, at worst. But if you can't even slip most Rolex crystals onto the case, then that's a very big problem.

It's a shame, since the overall proportions looked very good in your pictures. But you can't judge a case until you've brought out the calipers.

"And to have to have the case and bezel machined after paying $450 also doesn't sit right with me."

I would feel the same way.

Q...Why can't they make a $450 case that works?

A...They can, they just don't want to.

I still bet my best watch against a stale doughnut that these $400 to $500 cases are just out of spec, run-of-the-mill $20 cases that have been stamped 1016 and the lugs bored out.

FYI...my best watch is worth at least 3 stale doughnuts. :animal_rooster:

You might find a 16200 etc case, mount an old crystal and bezel, and file or sand the shoulders down on the lug tops a little to match the 1016 profile. I looked at my 16234 '1016' project watch and it does not look like it would be very hard to file/sand the lug tops down. You would have to gently taper the lugs away from the bezel, then remove the bezel and replace the grain on top of the lugs. It would be best to try this on a replica case first and see how it goes.

I would do this to mine but:

1...I doubt there is a genuine 1016 in town so I am not about to get busted (I doubt there are 20 genuine rolex watches in the whole town).

3...Since it was my idea, someone else needs to try it. :rolleyes: