When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any scotch drinkers?

HauteHippie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point....I thought if it came from Scotland it was called "Scotch"...everywhere else is called "Whiskey"? :g:

Strictly-speaking whisky is the Scottish spelling and applies to all products from there. Whiskey is the preferred spelling in Ireland & the US and applies to products created in those countries I believe.

Whisky tends to be the preferred spelling elsewhere in the world as well, so you'll see whisky being used in Canada and Japan for their products.

By definition true Scotch whisky, of course, would apply only to whiskies produced in Scotland.

That doesn't stop companies sticking pictures of bagpipes on their local moonshine or whatever though. :p

Check out this guy. He's a hoot. But he is serious about his whisky and says to always dilute it:

That guy is great.....now I gotta go out and buy me a couple of those glasses.

I checked out the Highland Park 12yr at one of my local stores, it was $62....is that a good price? Is the older one better?

I checked out the Highland Park 12yr at one of my local stores, it was $62....is that a good price? Is the older one better?

There's a local store by me that has the Highland Park 18yr for $89.99. Most everywhere else it is $100. So, although I haven't priced the 12yr, that gives you some idea. I've never tasted the 12 either.

I attended a whisky tasting and lecture a few years back. I remember the master distiller recommending that we first taste each scotch neat but then suggested that the scotch be "watered." This is a common practice when drinking single malts.

Ya, watered to 35% alcohol seems to be the "right" way to drink it.

Thanks for that link, Chief; he seems like someone who really knows how to get information across. I believe, however, that he meant to dilute blended whiskeys, not single malt.

Hmm, maybe that is the case. I don't know. He says to bring whisky down to 35% alcohol but interestingly doesn't water down the 22yr. And I guess my Macallan 17yr Fine Oak would not want to be watered down as it's very mellow as is. But I'll have to try my Glenkinchie 12yr with a touch of water and see what it does.

I noticed it was $45 at a place by me today, for the 12 yr. At that price, I'm tempted to go back and get a bottle to compare to the 18. My boss has the 25yr, and the next time I'm in his neighborhood, I'll be giving it a taste too. ;)

A review:

OK, just had my first introduction to the Islay scotch whiskys with an Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Caol Ila.... Wow. At first it felt like I was inhaling a camp fire (LOL) but then I really began to savor the flavor on the palate... and while these whiskys are certainly not for everyone, I now see what all the fuss is about. These are big malts! And I now need to go to bed early if I can shake these hiccups! ;)

hey B,

I found this on their site "We offer free shipping within United States, so there's no better way to try something new."

Thanks for the link vlydog,just purchased a bottle of Connemara Cask Strength Peated Singal Malt Irish Whisky for $63.99,cant wait to try It :drinks:

• 1 month later...

Had my first glass of HP this weekend. I really enjoyed it!

I also picked up a great book.

The World Atlas of Whisky by Dave Broom

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/The-World-Atlas-of-Whiskey-Hardcover/4815966/product.html?cid=123620&fp=F&mr:trackingCode=5D101C3B-52C1-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

I'll check out that book, vly. HP-18 is still my favorite, and I'm half way through my second bottle. I'll be heading to the UK soon and I think I'll be looking around the duty free shops for the Talisker 18. I've now heard that it's every bit as well rounded as the HP, but has a different character. Mmmm, sounds interesting to me.

I bought a bottle of HP 12yr a few years back after it

won a double gold at the SF Spirit competition, very nice.

But one of the jewels in my Scotch collection (17 different

brands at last count) is the JW Gold.

I have the Johnny Walker Blue, but at $160 a bottle, it's

rare I share it. I tried the Gold and at half the price of

the Blue, it is wonderful for a blended scotch, just a smidgen

off the taste of the Blue.

Jack

• 1 month later...

My friend just emailed me the below list, he owns a Wine shop and wanted to know if I wanted any of these at a discount. Any experience with these anyone? Also, if interested in any let me know as I can source as many as needed.

Caol Ila 12yr 750

Glen Grant 13yr 750

Auchroisk 15yr Guigal Syrah Cask

Bowmore 10 yr Guigal cask 750

Bunnahabhain 10 yr Port cask 750

Clynelish 11 yr Port cask 750

Clynelish 12 yr Sherry/Maderia cask

Cragganmore 15 yr Ch Haut Brion

Highland Park 14yr Lafite Cask 750

Isle of Arran 11 yr Sherry cask 750

Laphroaig 10yr Lafite Cask 750

Laphroaig 10yr Margaux Cask 750