When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sometimes you win a few!

offshore

As some here may know, I dabble in buying and selling gens.

This last weekend I was offered 3 watches (amongst a host of others) which I bought ...for not a lot of money! whistling.gif

First up was this 1940, Gold plated Tudor Oyster, with an inscription on the back, dating it as 1940.

Has a screw down crown signed "Oyster Patent", an unusual quadrant dial...and runs like a gem, in fact currently at 3 secs/day.

The stretch band is obviously a new addition and will go for a more appropriate strap.

My quick research shows these are selling at somewhere approaching $1k, so this at well under $100 was a nice pickup methinks.

I am however interested in any feedback from those here more knowledgeable on this and the others here.

post-13-034619700 1280834517.jpg

Next up is another oldie, that I think may have some serious value.

A solid gold "Rolly" which dates to 1920, 30mm diameter, solid lugs, and could even be an original strap.

This one also running strongly and a couple of collectors who have seen it since I got it are making noises about " Many thousands $"

post-13-033449400 1280834932.jpg

post-13-056386200 1280834973.jpg

Don't know about that, however it does pay to keep all your contacts working.

This one came from a guy who scavenges the local tip...I grease his palm with half a dozen cans of beer each week, and he brings quite a few nice old timers for me to buy. It was also under $100, so this may be a real killing, or it may even have to be retired to the O/S safe.

Finally something a few here may be a bit more interested in, a lot younger anyway.

From 1967 I believe, 5513 movement, I will leave it to the WIS to tell me all its faults, (if any)

post-13-092330700 1280835177.jpg

post-13-091049900 1280835206.jpg

The no date subs are a bit rarer? No?

BTW, all these are shown, exactly as I received them, so a bit of spit and polish may (or may not?) be in order.

So come on guys, give me your feedback on these 3 acquisitions to the Offshore fleet......

And who has the best Sub?...maybe Offshore....at least at under 1 grand! biggrin.gif

O/S

I have never been a big fan of the 5513 with the nipple dial, but with this vintage tritium color the watch looks just great!

The 5513 is a perfect base to do a restauration on, as the basis is great and the main problem is dirt. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

This is a watch I would go for too...

It got the old twinlock crown, the old clasp, the case is in good shape. Really nice watch...

I would just clean it, look for a nicer inlay, softly reshape the case and you are good to go... big love...

Just to make me totally blown away: how much did you pay for the 5513?

damm!!! :bangin:

I am a bit raging around here right now... :bicycle:

I have been looking around for a 5513 for quite a while, as it is a perfect gen vintage to start with: nice clean dial, replacment parts are still out there and it is not too expensive, but I never found one for this price. Otherwise I would have bought it. Really nice catch!!!! :Jumpy:

Yes it just doesn´t make sense to spend 400$ on the rep case, 130$ on the rep dial and hands, 100$ on a gen twinlock crown and 100$ on an ETA movement when you could find something like that out there.

But I guess you have to have strings to pull to get such a beauty.

Just to be curious: what are you going to do with it? Restoration, keeping it, selling it, use it for parts (hope not!!)

Frankly, it depends on what I may get from the other 2.

If I have a big win with one or both, i will put this into mothballs, or I may even wear it as a daily beater.

With a service, its probably knocked around enough that I can't do much more damage, so it may just be a nice "ready worn" watch for daily wear.

Wait and see on the value and or sale of the others.

O/S

I think I may have seen that 5513 on ebay???

I recall seeing one like it, and what prompted me to remember is the incorrect dial, which is certainly not 1967 vintage.

I would recommend searching for a correct dial. Other than that, it appears correct (I do love the insert!).

Cheers,

JJ

PS: the crown is a trip-loc

I recall seeing one like it, and what prompted me to remember is the incorrect dial, which is certainly not 1967 vintage.

PS: the crown is a trip-loc

That´s what I tought too, doesn´t the nippel dial come out in the end 70s?

I always thought the crowns with the bevelet edge on the case side(don´t know how to say it better) are twinlocks aka 702´s...

But I am only an ambitious noob...so please correct me...

I think I may have seen that 5513 on ebay???

I don't think this one got to the 'bay JoJo.

In fact the seller was having an issue with both his white cane, and his guide dog ( JK)

But, seriously I just think this came from a very non watch type seller...it had been an inheritance, and I do think he just didn't know.

BTW, I didn't offer a price, I asked him what he wanted for it!

It was hard to keep a straight face, and yes, I did fumble with my wallet in my haste!

O/S

you lucky lucky barstuart,

my wife loves the 20s rolex, but if i bought it for i know what she would say, "Its too small!!" she wears a steel fish all the time so every thing i see vintage that she likes is too small.

Nice 5513 as well, just clean it and if it is a 67 then i think it should have a matt dial but for less than a grand in US$ i would not be complaining!