When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ref: 5514 thin case (Submariner) with Helium Valve

Dizzy

• 10 months later...

what did you do to the dial to make t look that way. Very nice watch Bro

Thanks

The dial in this was pretty big I think. Similar to most of the vintage rep cases. It was much bigger than gen size. Prob 28mm if i had to guess. To vintagize this dial I lightly scraped the markers with a small screwdriver to take the gloss off them. Then i use a light "wash" of water color paint to stain the markers to give them a bit of age. I dont bake my dials because it turn the printing brown and ugly. It works well if you are trying to make a guilt dial though... A couple coats of matt clear spray and the dial was good to go. Just scraping the gloss of the markers and shooting it with matt clear would make a world of difference. The "wash" just added to the age.

The Comex dial in the first set of pictures looks to be the right size for the case, as you can see the t<25 markings on the bottom at 6 o'clock. I have encountered a slew of great looking dials in the 29mm mark. Too big for the case I have for this project.

E

"I know this is an old thread, but what size dials are being used in those 5514s?"

I have one of these watches from Paul/Wo-Mart (ca 2004/5)...the dial is 26.5mm and (get this!) the dial seat in the case is 29.2mm outside diameter.

What saves the day is that the dial opening in the case is only 25.9mm. The dial is a lot smaller than the outer diameter of the dial seat but since the opening is only 25.9mm, it all works Ok thanks to the brass movement spacer that holds the movement centered in the case.

So...this particular case will accept a dial from 26.5mm to 28.5mm+/-. If you use a larger dial with the markers close to the outside, they may be partially hidden by the wide dial seat.

The dial seat inner diameter would be easy to cut out to work with a larger dial but this will reduce the width of the reflector/rehaut as seen from the front of the watch.

This line of watches from Paul/Wo-Mart did not have crystal retaining bezels...the crystal was cemented to the case with a space between the crystal and the top of the case. The rotating bezel has a spring wire in it and the spring wire fits in the space between the crystal and the top of the case, thereby allowing the bezel to turn.

Now we pay $500+ for basically the same (empty!) case with a better bezel assembly. :black_eye:

"I know this is an old thread, but what size dials are being used in those 5514s?"

I have one of these watches from Paul/Wo-Mart (ca 2004/5)...the dial is 26.5mm and (get this!) the dial seat in the case is 29.2mm outside diameter.

What saves the day is that the dial opening in the case is only 25.9mm. The dial is a lot smaller than the outer diameter of the dial seat but since the opening is only 25.9mm, it all works Ok thanks to the brass movement spacer that holds the movement centered in the case.

So...this particular case will accept a dial from 26.5mm to 28.5mm+/-. If you use a larger dial with the markers close to the outside, they may be partially hidden by the wide dial seat.

The dial seat inner diameter would be easy to cut out to work with a larger dial but this will reduce the width of the reflector/rehaut as seen from the front of the watch.

This line of watches from Paul/Wo-Mart did not have crystal retaining bezels...the crystal was cemented to the case with a space between the crystal and the top of the case. The rotating bezel has a spring wire in it and the spring wire fits in the space between the crystal and the top of the case, thereby allowing the bezel to turn.

Now we pay $500+ for basically the same (empty!) case with a better bezel assembly. :black_eye:

Basically the same as I got from Trevor. I measured and the specs yo gave me are the same. I can use a genereci dial and just won't look as good as a genuine one.

Good to know

E