When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ref: 5514 thin case (Submariner) with Helium Valve

Dizzy

Well this is the beginning of the end of yet another watch project...

I started this one in 2007.. worked on it for a bit, then forgot about it for months, then worked on it some more... now 3 years later, its well... almost done :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Started with this.

Bought it used of this forum. I think its from paul or trusty, not sure.

CIMG1047.jpg

took it all apart to start the crown guards

Modded the guards into pointed guards from the late 60's

CIMG1601.jpg

Got the guards done... bezel insert is nice and new.... that will change soon though. Also clarks t-19 crystal installed.

CIMG1603.jpg

Gen Rolex tube installed and triplock crown

CIMG1605.jpg

aged and faded the insert... Got it back together..

start-1.jpg

hhmmm not good enough.. ripped it apart again and did some more work to the CG's

CIMG1596.jpg

Now its finally done.. well sort of. I need a proper clasp on the bracelet and prob an NDtrading or Yuki 5513 dial. Im going to go with a plain dial instead of the comex dial.

I knows its not 100% correct but I like it.

All my frankens are so nice and pretty and I wanted one old one that was just beaten up and looked like it mad of had a service 5 or 10 years ago, so newer crystal and crown anyways. Bezel insert would be original by the looks of it :victory:

Specs:

Old Wo-Mart 5514 case modded

Gen spring bars

Gen 24-703 crown

aftermarket triplock tube

clarks T-19 dome crystal

Modded, aged and faded bezel insert

ETA 2846 slow beat movement

Dial and hands aged

Caseback sanded down

All new lubed gaskets

Gen 9315 Rolex folded bracelet with 380 end links. Bought from parts drawer of local certified Rolex watchsmith

Future mods:

NDtrading or Yuki 5513 dial

Proper 9315 clasp or 93150 Clasp aged to match bracelet.

CIMG1636.jpg

CIMG1636.jpg

CIMG1640.jpg

CIMG1642.jpg

CIMG1643.jpg

CIMG1645.jpg

CIMG1649.jpg

CIMG1651.jpg

CIMG1659.jpg

CIMG1658.jpg

CIMG1656.jpg

Hope you enjoyed it. This is by far the most comfortable watch I've ever worn.

Dizz

Of course it looks extra bad under magnification...

on the wrist it looks like a well worn tool watch from the early 70's. Its got a full polished look with dings and gouges, a little bit of dirt here and there, Its a very believable look (except for the dial) Im thinking about swapping the bezel insert for one thats a little less faded. Same amount of scratches, but just a bit blacker.

I just put on an old rep 93150 clasp that looks a lot better, and of course thats a gen Rolex diver extension. These bracelets in poor shape sell for $500+ and i even saw one of these diver extensions on VRF for $700 wow! I sure got a good deal. I paid under $100 for the bracelet without clasp. I do have a gen folder piece for the clasp and a gen fliplock so I'll just wait till i find a clasp shell to throw on and it will be all gen. Next order of business is a good 5513 dial and send it off for vintage tritium lume.

Once I get the gen clasp sorted out, I'll prob send the whole bracelet off to get rebuilt. Theres a guy on Timezone that does them. He replaces the worn center links because thats where all the wear is that makes them floppy. These bracelets in mint shape sell for $900+ so its worth getting them rebuilt when they get to the end of their life.

dizz

The comex dial is growing on me. I used to hate it, and the more i look at it, the more i want to keep it. The problem with these dials is that anyone who knows anything about vintage Rolex will never in a million years believe its a real comex. Not that I'm trying to fool anyone, but its just not a realistic dial for me. If i put in a good 5513 dial and sand down the caseback, then it will look like the dial was a service replacement from the 70's, and the caseback engravings will looks like they are 90% polished off... still has the HEV, but its just a little more stealth with a plain dial.

Very nice work Dizzy!

Curious question, since the 5514 didn't have any date function, how come you didn't go to a ETA 247X instead? It has the proper beat and you should have no problems with the fit.

I just used what i had laying around...

Oh, man... that thing sings to me. It pushes all the right buttons. Very nice work! And one of very few COMEX dials that are even remotely squared off on the inside of the "O".

Nice work!

The work looks great :good: , but did they make 5514s with PCGs :g: ?

No i've never seen one.. like i said.. not 100% accurate but i like it :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think it was just the oldest 5513's that had the pointy guards, years before the 5514 came out.

I started to mod the crown guards and i needed to take a little off the outside and top.. so i just kept going. I think it looks better this way whether its correct or not. If i was worried about it being perfect, then i sure wouldnt have picked a 5514 hahaha. Almost impossible to get a perfect dial and caseback for these things without spending rediculous money. This watch sure turned out much nicer than i ever expected so im happy with it. Out of all my vintages, this one is my favorite so far

Today i changed the clasp to a better 93150 clasp which has been vintagized to match the bracelet, and also a blacker insert. The one in there was a little too faded for my liking.

Yeah they're iconic for sure. See how small the old polished gen CGs can get? I think yours is pretty much believable. But then again I could care less what purists think. If YOU like it, that's good enough.

Yeah your gen looks almost as pointy as mine. Thats really cool. I also like how your crystal is worn down and appears thinner ( from the 6'oclock angle). That watch was definately worn everyday for 30+ years! I love it!

How much you want for the ugly looking one with the brown dial and worn out case? ha ha ha!

:whistling:

How long have you had that gen double red? How did you aquire it? I smell a good story here...

Hey Dizz, good eye ... but unfortunately not quiiiiiite accurate. The 1665 DR was born with a "Superdome" crystal like what's mounted to the MBW at the right. My friend used the watch so hard in commercial diving and instructing that the crystal was always beat to heck. He got tired of having to lick the crystal to read the time (ewwwwww) so he had the RSC replace the Superdome with the later "Dome" tropic 39. That's what came on the "Great White" 1665s as well. So yes, it's flatter, but not from wear. I have a NOS Superdome tropic-39 sitting here in waxed paper waiting to be mounted to that case.

But...

The watch was worn since new by my friend, and it acquired its gouges the hard way. He suddenly died, and his wife said he wanted me to have it. So now it's my duty to keep it in good shape for my kids. I get out my tools to replace the crystal, but then I look at those gouges and ... I just can't. It means more to me all beat up than it would with a big gorgeous Superdome on there.

So, that's how your 5514 should look too. It was a tool watch so it should have been regularly serviced, and seals checked. The crystal should be beat to heck. The CGs should be getting pointy after 30 years of service. Right? :tu: