When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strapmakers

Dani

Sorry if i offend people but man what type of crap straps is popping up

http://www.dalucastraps.com/

220$ for some of them, seems very low quality, poor stitching ,bad centred punch holes and just bad punched holes in general..

and this vintage Swiss ammo stuff, who cares? what is so special about Swiss military stuff anyway? I can find leather of Norwegian quality that is 100-120yrs old, I am not gone ask for 270$ if I make some straps out if it :lol:

Cheers,

D

Agree in general.

While there are many mediocre Pam strap makers around, his ones are particularly bad, and I mean - really bad.

Almost bordering on "WTF was he thinking" kind of bad. :blink:

If you do a search on 'Risti you'll find that there are many more that just don't get his straps. I don't think he's been selling many of them anyway, though.

On the other hand there are many vintage and 'ammo-pouch' style strap makers around with very tasteful creations. My tan Kaktus Drifter is still one of the best aftermarket straps I've ever owned.

Agree in general.

While there are many mediocre Pam strap makers around, his ones are particularly bad, and I mean - really bad.

Almost bordering on "WTF was he thinking" kind of bad. :blink:

If you do a search on 'Risti you'll find that there are many more that just don't get his straps. I don't think he's been selling many of them anyway, though.

On the other hand there are many vintage and 'ammo-pouch' style strap makers around with very tasteful creations. My tan Kaktus Drifter is still one of the best aftermarket straps I've ever owned.

I agree on vintage hides are great for straps, but was up whit Swiss ammo? i want to now :) I am curious is it of better quality then let say German ammo,Italian ammo,Swedish ammo?

I'm not feeling the whole ammo thing dry.gif

I thought the same thing when I first saw this guy on Risti Dani victory.gif

Good to know I am not alone :)

Ammo straps you pay like 250$ its strange I think, its old yes but rare? no not really..So my Simona strap cost me 120euro it looks brand new when bought, it has gotten a patina while used by ME not some storage or some soldier in the neutral Swiss army :rofl: I bring this up because straps are getting and has for some time gotten really overboard on prices..

At least he could finish the edges......

BTW, Ammo is not good leather......for the most part...And it stinks....But it does have some historical interest....If you are into that kind of stuff.... :pardon:

+1

I have no love for stinky ammo straps...I'm not sure where the love affair started with them. Glad though others enjoy them.

Daluca straps are bleh...defo not my cup of tea, maybe others dig them.

I find Dirks and Paci's pretty much where I want to be. Oh and some of the OEMs too are great...pricy though!

Daluca straps are too crazy looking at times to demand those prices.

Fair enough, strap making is an art and takes patience and care, but I would not spend more than $200 on one.

All my straps are high quality and I have been building my collection by purchasing them under 150 or buying good second hand ones. I always clean and look after them.

oh and as for ammos, I do like the historical value to them and the stamps but I cannot justify spending more than what I could spend on a good rep.. ya dig? :D

DaLuca Straps was created in early 2009 to give the high end watch owner an alternative to the boring and dull watch straps saturated in the market place. With so many choices and such few creative ones, DaLuca Straps pushes the boundaries for what a watch strap is. Each watch strap is 1 of a kind, handmade, individually named and thoughtfully presented. The person that does not go with the times will find themselves with a DaLuca Watch Strap on their wrist.

:rofl: :rofl:

I find that older OEM straps with horizontal embossed "OFFICINE PANERAI" on the long end, vertical "MADE IN AUSTRIA" and "C" over the fixed keeper on the buckle end are the most comfortable of all OEM straps. I believe they ended with E series.

For aftermarket my list is very short Kaktus, Simona, Dirk and ABP for exotics.

E,

You're not on the short exotics list because your straps hold a very special value to me. It's not even the strap itself but rather the concept and the emotional content that is important. I just don't think I can't pull it off properly. It seems so much more at home under the Nicaraguan sun in a Hemingwayesque setting rather than under fluorescent bulbs of an office. But I hope this will all change some day :)

Da Luca...

who would buy a $200 strap made out of a belt...

half an hour to build a strap, no patience nor care!

...and no edge coat!

check out his videos on you tube! lol

:-)

E,

You're not on the short exotics list because your straps hold a very special value to me. It's not even the strap itself but rather the concept and the emotional content that is important. I just don't think I can't pull it off properly. It seems so much more at home under the Nicaraguan sun in a Hemingwayesque setting rather than under fluorescent bulbs of an office. But I hope this will all change some day :)

Edited by ewing

I agree with the numbers of strap makers out there, some crudely made and most over priced, it just encourages more people to make a few easy $'s in whats an already over crowded market.

About Swiss ammo straps, I never really understood what the fuss about them was either although I do own one, yes it was expensive but it looks great with a wonderful aged and weathered appearence. It does smell but I find it strangely comforting!

SNB11514edit.jpg

SNB11525edit.jpg

Sorry if i offend people but man what type of crap straps is popping up

http://www.dalucastraps.com/

220$ for some of them, seems very low quality, poor stitching ,bad centred punch holes and just bad punched holes in general..

and this vintage Swiss ammo stuff, who cares? what is so special about Swiss military stuff anyway? I can find leather of Norwegian quality that is 100-120yrs old, I am not gone ask for 270$ if I make some straps out if it :lol:

Cheers,

D

I am the owner of DaLuca Straps and I am new to this forum. I am very happy to be a part of this forum as RWG looks to be a wonderful place to find some great information on watches. I always listen to people and what they say, so I always appreciate any feedback on my product. Each comment will be listened to, in order to further improve our product and customer service.

As for some background information on my company, it was created in early 2009 to literally be exactly what the other watch strap makers weren't, and that was a distressed, beat up looking watch strap with scratches, dings and marks, while some were even burned. This was very hard for a lot of people to get their heads around when I initially started, since it was such a different form of watch strap from an OEM strap. As with any niche market company, you get people who like and dislike your product. We at DaLuca straps listen to any feedback, good or bad, and try to make changes accordingly to further improve our product and make even higher quality watch straps.

A fact which most people do not know is that most of our business is in custom orders. With a custom order, you CAN get edge coating, you CAN get stitching all the way down and back up, you CAN get the strap to be exactly the way you want. With the ready made straps on my site, they are each 1 of a kind and are there to give people ideas for a custom order. Many 1st time customers love to purchase a ready made strap or 2 then usually go with custom orders after.

As far as the ammo straps are concerned, many makers are up in the $225-300 range with their ready made straps and these are not made completely by hand like mine are, and are also not 1 of a kind. They do sometimes have a smell, but many people love the vintage smell as it is different from a newly made leather hide. This is also a very niche product, that I myself wanted no part of when I started getting into watch straps or Panerai watches. But as you get more into aftermarket watch straps, the vintage straps start to look a lot more interesting due to the history of the leather and gorgeous original stampings. This is the way it was for me and will not be the same for every person.

I wanted to show pictures of my previous made custom watch straps and offer anyone a special discount on this forum, so you can see 1st hand the quality of my watch straps in person vs basing your opinion on quickly taken pictures on my website. Each watch strap is 100% hand stitched vs using a sewing machine and only using a high quality organic waxed linen thread. The leather quality is superb, and very unique with a great amount of history. We also carry many extremely high end men's accessories such as alligator wallets, belts, money clips and a watch strap folder that holds up to 12 watch straps. Lastly, customer service is one of our top priorities and you can read about this from some of our satisfied customers on the "Testimonials" page. I look forward to speaking with more of you soon and thank you for the opportunity to be a part of your forum.

-Daniel

CleanCrocStrap.jpg

VintageSwissAmmostrap.jpg

UniqueCroc.jpg

UltraCustomAlligatorStrap.jpg

CleanSwissAmmoStrap.jpg

BrownCroc.jpg

BlackOstrichStrap.jpg

BRHornback.jpg

1923SwissAmmoStrap.jpg

BRVintageMilitary.jpg

I am the owner of DaLuca Straps and I am new to this forum. I am very happy to be a part of this forum as RWG looks to be a wonderful place to find some great information on watches. I always listen to people and what they say, so I always appreciate any feedback on my product. Each comment will be listened to, in order to further improve our product and customer service.

As for some background information on my company, it was created in early 2009 to literally be exactly what the other watch strap makers weren't, and that was a distressed, beat up looking watch strap with scratches, dings and marks, while some were even burned. This was very hard for a lot of people to get their heads around when I initially started, since it was such a different form of watch strap from an OEM strap. As with any niche market company, you get people who like and dislike your product. We at DaLuca straps listen to any feedback, good or bad, and try to make changes accordingly to further improve our product and make even higher quality watch straps.

A fact which most people do not know is that most of our business is in custom orders. With a custom order, you CAN get edge coating, you CAN get stitching all the way down and back up, you CAN get the strap to be exactly the way you want. With the ready made straps on my site, they are each 1 of a kind and are there to give people ideas for a custom order. Many 1st time customers love to purchase a ready made strap or 2 then usually go with custom orders after.

As far as the ammo straps are concerned, many makers are up in the $225-300 range with their ready made straps and these are not made completely by hand like mine are, and are also not 1 of a kind. They do sometimes have a smell, but many people love the vintage smell as it is different from a newly made leather hide. This is also a very niche product, that I myself wanted no part of when I started getting into watch straps or Panerai watches. But as you get more into aftermarket watch straps, the vintage straps start to look a lot more interesting due to the history of the leather and gorgeous original stampings. This is the way it was for me and will not be the same for every person.

I wanted to show pictures of my previous made custom watch straps and offer anyone a special discount on this forum, so you can see 1st hand the quality of my watch straps in person vs basing your opinion on quickly taken pictures on my website. Each watch strap is 100% hand stitched vs using a sewing machine and only using a high quality organic waxed linen thread. The leather quality is superb, and very unique with a great amount of history. We also carry many extremely high end men's accessories such as alligator wallets, belts, money clips and a watch strap folder that holds up to 12 watch straps. Lastly, customer service is one of our top priorities and you can read about this from some of our satisfied customers on the "Testimonials" page. I look forward to speaking with more of you soon and thank you for the opportunity to be a part of your forum.

-Daniel

Thanks for your reply, my post was made generally to all the market you where an example of what me personal look at as to expensive at least to what quality you bring.

That many people enjoy your straps is great for you and them, if everyone enjoyed the same straps this would be a boring hobby :)

I came out a little rude in my initial post accept my apology for that, I do however still have the same opinion ;)

Cheers,

Dani

Lets face it

Since the advent of the Panerai cult there has been no shortage of buyers ready to part with hard earned for shabby leatherwork (the worse it is the more they like it apparently).

And with the prospect of earning off them with little skill a boxcutter and a needle n thread, naturally no shortage of fledgling suppliers

Anyone who wants to remind themselves of what quality leatherwork looks like (and should cost) just cast an eye over some quality gun leather.

Yes, strap quality is pretty pathetic for many of the makers out there, except to name a few I've bought many from...

• Dirk (I think the very best for Panerai)
  • Mario Paci (Great straps, unfortunately at E's d1ckhead prices)
  • Europelli (Drew Watson has great straps at good prices, and a super nice guy)
  • Aaron HK Tan makes beautiful custom ordered straps

I had a look at this page after Reg's comment about gun leather... nice products here:

http://www.raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm

I might even get me a few sharkskin belts after that :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Comparatively, strap prices are so high for the amount of material and labor, but I guess the argument is that it's a limited market.

but I guess the argument is that it's a limited market.

That, and daylight robbery of people with guns is probably less appealing than performing same on those wielding Italian dive watches :bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

Hey and dont you go chopping up those new belts into little 24mm belts as part of some Bahamian Retirement Plan :yeah:

-Daniel

CleanCrocStrap.jpg

VintageSwissAmmostrap.jpg

UniqueCroc.jpg

UltraCustomAlligatorStrap.jpg

CleanSwissAmmoStrap.jpg

BrownCroc.jpg

BlackOstrichStrap.jpg

BRHornback.jpg

1923SwissAmmoStrap.jpg

BRVintageMilitary.jpg

Welcome to RWG,It seems like you are getting better and better as time go's on. Keep your prices competitive and Im sure your bussiness will be successful,again welcome :drinks:

i like open discussion like this in here. freedom of speech.

I posted a thread on risit enquiring about the quliaty of the gator leather offered by a particular strap-maker last year. I did not get one single message on the board. However, I have received almost 10 mesages by email blasting that strap-maker. Some said they follow the advices from the Risti memeber and made a large purchase. They have bought a couple from them, but they will never use them because of the quality of the leather. Noone really dares to post question like this on Risti. Alot of victims (myself included) made one purchase and will never return.