When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Many Watches In Your Collection Rec. Wrist Time?

ubiquitous

Just for fun... How many watches in your collection receive regular wrist time? And, how many don't?

To take the question a step further... Do you keep the non-wearers? Or liquidate those not getting wrist time, despite your personal view on those watches?

Personally... I have around 14 in my collection; 12 of which have been modified extensively, especially the Rolex models. Out of those, I wear perhaps 4 of them regularly, with only 2 of those actually being Rolex watches. The remainder, though not regular in the rotation are ones I would probably never sell (though I am giving my franken-DateJust to my father ^_^).

So, even though I don't wear all of my watches regularly, I love them all. It would be hard for me to part with any of them, as I have invested a lot of time and money into building them. Just wondering how many of you feel the same way about your pieces?

Have a great weekend!

R

I have about 15 watches.

Of those, i wear my about 7 or 8 regularly. 2 i never wear (due to faults), and the rest i wear rarely. I think i've only worn my TT sub with silver serti dial about 5 times in 18 months. That's not because i don't like it, it's because it's a little flash for most places i go. The last time i wore it was in April, when my brother got married.

I'm a bit of a hoarder, and i've only ever parted with 2 reps. Both of those were watches i already had, and i kept the best ones. I don't buy a watch unless i intend to keep it. There was one exception, when i bought a PAM036 just to try the 44mm size on my wrist.

Edited by bigpops

Now I'm down to six, {the 7th, still not received after almost 3 months...thanks Neil :huh:}

I find myself however only wearing three,...

My Out of Production Omega smp 2000 {for reasons well known to a few in the know}

My swiss 212,.. Just an overall gorgeous piece and to me the most

beautiful pam ever.... -_-

Last but not least, my Jlc Memovox alarm which turns out to be my 2nd

favorite believe it or not due to it's beauty, all night lume, heavy metal

quality and accurate alarm function...plus it matches perfectly with this

dark lavender gator 24mm pam strap that I picked up.. ^_^

What sits is my iwc gst, my vulcain alarm {though I did love it alot for a while}

I have also yet to wear my iwc portuguese...{don't know why}...

Since I have purchased over a hundred reps,... yes I do turn over what I don't wear,

...usually,.. but the three above I will keep, as I know there will be a time that I will

get them out an sport them... it's just around the corner... B)

I am down to 21 (from 36, they make nice gifts for the family). I love all my watches and wear a different watch almost every day. I tried wearing 1 watch for the whole week, but after 2 days I feel my stomach crawling :lol: I have to wear a different watch.

Hey, you guys have it easy. I've got about 70+. I tend to rotate once a day (sometimes change for the evening). I'd estimate same 20 get worn each month and the rest only occasionally (sometimes I resist a Pam for a week or so). The Breit's, IWC's, Omega's get worn regularly. The Rollie's (12) tend not to get worn much.

Occasionally I can't resist a Blancpain or JVC or Maurice Lacroix. Luv em, just don't wear them as much.

30+ I tend to wear certain watches in cycles of a couple weeks each. Since i dive/swim at least a few days a week, i tend toward the ones with operable bezel which have been waterproofed. generally don't wear un-waterproofed. my diving watches also are built to handle the day to day beating that i dish out, and my days of wear pinstripes 24-7 are long over (even though i still appreciate a great dress watch).

i'm long overdue to weed down to maybe 1/2 as many as I have, but i promised not to add anymore without funding them largely from liquidating older ones. i've got a couple YMs which were among the first i acquired... don't wear them much, but wouldn't part with them... one has a fantastic MOP face and the other has a beautiful deep blue face. also holding on to my cartier convex grid which i never see reps of this quality...

Well, I have 2 or three old standbys which account for about 50% of wristtime--gen Master Hometime, a heavily modded PAM 111F, and Santos 100. Then at any given time I'm in usually deeply in love with my latest buy or completed project--currently the 18k muller-- which accounts for the other half of the time, which soon finds itself stowed in the box for a long time. Next thing you know you have 15 watches you never wear...

That being said--Guys, even though you probably think you have too many reps (and the wife knows you have too many reps)--don't do what I did: I sold off my collection down to what I thought were the best-of-the-best essentials and only bought 2 replacements over the last 10 months. At least three times a week I get dressed, stare at my watch box and say, "[censored], I wish I hadn't sold that...."

I have about a dozen watches in my collection (excluding the quartz stuff) of which four are reps, excluding the Pam 063 which I gave to the little lady. Only a couple of reps & gens have found new homes over the past couple of years. I'm not much into letting go of my toys. :)

All find their way to wrist at least every couple of weeks (somtimes swap in the evening). Each has a little story to tell as most were difficult to source or find parts for. My gens are all out of production which added to the challenge of finding minty examples plus adds spice to the relatively small collection. Even if there were some that I didn't wear much, I don't think I would part with most of them.

I'm on the look out for another rep addition. Not sure which yet but would love to see an accurate matte dial pepsi 1675. :wub:

I have only 7 watches left (eight is coming). I've traded many... and the ones I still have are all keepers. I wear every single one of them... some get worn more than others. I have traded some very nice watches... but they will have to go if they don't see any wrist time.

I can wear one watch for about 3-4 days but that's a max. Sometimes I even change the watch twice a day. I'm trying to keep my collection as compact as possible and I have learned by trial and error which watches have a longtime appeal. I don't think there's even one single rep left that I absolutely _need_ anymore (from the current ones).

I have two watches that I'd definitely like to buy in the future: TAG Aquaracer 2000 Chrono and Breitling Chronomat. Possibly I have to buy the gens since the rep factories apparently don't want to replicate them. Well... black Moon Watch is on my list too. Other than that I'm extremely happy with my current collection.

All get regular wrist time.

I guess I'm over 100 - I never sell anything, but I give things away from time to time.

I wear just a few.

Joshua Perfect Sea Dweller

Pam 28 PVD 2892

MBW Vintage SD

The Perfect SD should probably count as two because I have a couple of them, one with bracelet and one with stingray band. I also have a couple more still wrapped in plastic just in case something happens to the ones I wear. I guess you could say that I really like this particular watch.

Bill

Not to steal the thread but the other interesting question which occurred to me is what percentage of the reps you wear regularly have some form of modding. I am at 100%. IMHO that is half the fun. :)

My rule of thumb is "will this rep fool anyone who's not quite as nutso as me?" which probably translates to the common 95% thing. If it doesn't meet that standard it gets modded, if it can't be modded to tha standard it gets sold. The only watches in my collection that have not been modded: Rolex TOG, 18k Casablanca, Picot Le Plongeur, Cartier Tortue...but all have improved straps.

i used to have bazillions.....bazillions....multiples of the exact same watch....then it hit me...."what in the hell am i doing".....i LIQUIDATED.....i now keep between 5 to 7 in heavy rotation.......another 8 or so in my purgatory box......another 5 or so that are in project mode.......it seems like every month or so ill see 'the very last watch ill ever buy".......its crazy......just plain crazy...........kin tama

Not to steal the thread but the other interesting question which occurred to me is what percentage of the reps you wear regularly have some form of modding. I am at 100%. IMHO that is half the fun. :)

Indeed. Modding is what makes the hobby so much fun!

The only watch (out of the 4 that I've been wearing) that isn't modded (or a frankenstein) is the Nautilus, but I am on the lookout for some parts for that one ;) The AP has the new bracelet- But it required some effort on my part to fit it, so I consider it slightly modded to improve aesthetics...

I had about 22 different replica watches, and almost 10 genuines a few weeks ago. I have reduced that to just 7 replicas and 2 genuines now.

In my current collection, the only watch that gets any wrist time is my Roger Dubuis Easy Diver. My AP JPM Offshore is out for refinishing and servicing under warranty. I also wear the PAM 029 GMT rep around once in a while, it's my favourite as I spent a lot of time (and money!) modding it.

So I have about 14 watches... I rotate a watch every 1-3 days. If I going to be out boating on the lake I wear an old beater modded LV Sub that's been thru hell but still works great..

The only watches I dont wear much are a Breitling Bentley watch I bought a year ago one night when I was drunk.. it's actually not a bad rep, but unless I'm going to a hip hop club ( which I dont usually go to ) it kind of stands out.

I also dont wear my gennies too often anymore as they are mostly older man styles. My rotation usually goes VC, Cartier, Omega, Rolex, Tag.

Also I haven't sold any watches, but I have given a couple away to friends who begged me. Most of them I turned on to RWG or RWG2.

I've just now gotten into doing my own mods. We will see how this turns out.

MacDad

Over time I have tended to group my watches in the following categories

Work-week: Four watches, which I rotate on a weekly basis

Week-end chores and sports -- Two watches, but I tend to wear the less expensive for grungier chores such as gardening.

Week-end relaxation: three watches

Special occasion, such as dressing up for a night at the opera: One watch

There is some movement of watches between these categories, but I find that this system helps me spread the available wrist time as best I can.

I have a couple of watches that don't really fit into any of these categorie and receive no wrist time. But I can't bring myself to sell them either because they were fairly inexpensive to begin with and I haven't convinced myself that the hassle of selling and shhipping them is worth their value on the market.

At the moment I am wearing only Panerais and I have 1 gen 2 reps and building 2 projects..

I love my 112 and wearing it everyday the last two months.. the 196 is my first rep i bought and i will keep it for sentimental reasons... the Radiomir at the moment is a medium quality rep but I am willing to do it a perfect rep (as much as it gets). I don't wear it because this is my formal watch and i haven't been to any formal occasions after my wedding.. hence not hurrying to modify it :p

The 2 projects i am doing are going to be something different ;) Pams with Ubi quality which will steal definately wrist time from my 112 :whistling:

I think now I follow Randy's advise.. Quality over quantity...

I have 4 automatics on a winder ready to wear (the winder takes 6. I will get another as my automatic collection grows). 3 quartz. 1 hand-wound coming from davidsen - a non-branded Panny Luminor Base knockoff. I'm getting a hand-wound skeleton from Tourbillon next month. Too many watches, too little time (too little money).