When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Flaw Bothers You The Most?

Goochenbrau

After being involved in the rep community for a few months, I've began to notice the flaws in certain models (thanks to this board and helpful members). Also, I've noticed that everyone here gets irritated by a certain flaw on a certain brand/model. To me, some of the flaws that bother members are problems that do not really bother me (for instance, a recessed pin).

The one flaw that really gets to me is the general quality of the bracelets. Maybe it is because I do not have many reps to draw an opinion from, but I think the bracelets scratch way to easy. Moreover, they feel of lesser quality compared to any of my gens (from all price ranges: bulova/sieko - rolex). I'm surprised the quality of the band does not bother as many people as the smaller flaws, like the fonts on the datewheels.

any thoughts?

Not so much a flaw but a QC issue for me is mis-aligned markers....

My eyes always go to symmetry first, and if there is any off kilter

markers, I cannot seem to get past it... -_- Drives me Nuts !

Also never go with any 'Faux' function, hate anything having to do with them...

...fake on a fake.... it's just too much ! :thumbdown:

I can't get over poor date wheels...alignment, font, size....it all drives me nuts. I think that is why I love my ExpI so much. No date to fuss over.

Exactly right! :animal_rooster: Expl1 gets 100% wrist time these days... Date font too thin and misaligned are the reasons why I never wear some watches. I shy away from chronos with Asian movements...2 dead out of 2...so fake on fake (non working chronos from factory or dead chronos after using the watch for a week is the same :D ) Massive CG's, bracelets and bezel inserts on subs can be fixed but misalignments and date wheels are a different story. :black_eye:

Cheers

Alex

The recessed pins on the pams. I see so many great shots of various pam models and my attention is drawn right to the center and I can't get over it. It isn't even the idea that it gives it away that it's a rep, it just looks terrible and was never a good solution to the dial size problem. It bothers me that these exist and are out there. If I ever become rich I will offer a free service to fix these, then I'll feel better.

Which ever one stops me from taking the plunge. So some of them are pretty pet peevy. I wanted a genuine Breitling Avenger Seawolf for years and was stopped by the 300M vs the correct 3000M depth maximum engraving on the case back. Chrono positions of Venus copy movements on Lemania based genuines kinda stop me from buying otherwise beautiful Vacheron and Breguet Chronograph replicas. I still can't pull the trigger on the Vacheron Overseas because of the small cross on the dial.

I guess the one that sticks in my crawl the most is the Venus copy hand wound 6 o'clock subdial hand that masquerades as an hour subdial counter in replicas like the Moonwatch and Broad Arrow but follows the watch hour hand as a dead giveaway. Why not just freeze the hand at the 12:00 position as many owners have had their reps modified to. It's like a throwback to the day of the week subdials on chronograph replicas.

And on the topic of this movement, there are BEAUTIFUL genuines that use the Venus 175 as a base caliber. Passing this movement off as a "Lemania" is a flaw that tweeks my nose. I wish they would make more "niche replicas" of genuines based on the 175. There is a Venus 175 Maurice Lacroix Chronograph genuine with a display caseback that the Venus copy would mimic seamlessly.

Bad lume for me. I love to have a watch that glows in the dark. My PAMs have been re-lumed (my avatar is my 005 after Finepics had worked on it) and my PO has really good lume out of the box. Crap straps bug me, I know everyone swaps them out but you're then left with a draw full of moc crocs! I'm sure most people would pay a bit more for a decent leather strap as standard.

Edited by baltic

Guest eddielee11

the weight....the weight....the weight.

no weight,,,no deal... :angry:

i have played with enough watches, and althoguh titanium is nice....but i dont feel the " value" there....it is just me.....just my personal preference.

lume,,,may be..not too much.

pearl....little bit....

but ultimately, i want the weight rather than anything else on a replica and genuine.

This is one of the reason i never dig titanium watch..i know the ti , is real ti, ...and etc.....but it is damn too light.

i was going to get myself a genuien oris chrono TT diver....ultimately, i dod not get it. because it only comes in ti....i would love to work as male gigolo to serve my loyal lady clients to pay for the watch if it comes in solid ss.... :group:

* thin crowns

* faux functions

* cheap looking dials

* mineral crystal

* mis-aligned anything

* bad movements - the only Asian movement that has proven reliable is a serviced Venus 175, probably because it's a handwind to begin with.

Basically I want a watch that is unmistakably better quality than a Seiko of the same price. What's the point of buying a cheap quality watch? I want an absolute bargain.

I'm constantly surprised how some people here will rave on about watches with absolutely crap movements (like the Asian 7750), or with fake features like non-functioning chronographs or frozen subdial hands. Surely a watch lover must have the most important part (the movement) of a quality that is just as good as the outside?

The majority of people in the world don't wear watches, or buy Fossil/Bulova because they don't care what's inside the watch. Surely a watch lover is different because he cares what's on the INSIDE as well?

Maybe I'm just out to lunch on this.

* thin crowns

* faux functions

* cheap looking dials

* mineral crystal

* mis-aligned anything

* bad movements - the only Asian movement that has proven reliable is a serviced Venus 175, probably because it's a handwind to begin with.

Basically I want a watch that is unmistakably better quality than a Seiko of the same price. What's the point of buying a cheap quality watch? I want an absolute bargain.

I'm constantly surprised how some people here will rave on about watches with absolutely crap movements (like the Asian 7750), or with fake features like non-functioning chronographs or frozen subdial hands. Surely a watch lover must have the most important part (the movement) of a quality that is just as good as the outside?

The majority of people in the world don't wear watches, or buy Fossil/Bulova because they don't care what's inside the watch. Surely a watch lover is different because he cares what's on the INSIDE as well?

Maybe I'm just out to lunch on this.

Want your sandwich on rye or wheat?

According to the gurus who work on them here at the subatomic level, a serviced asian movement that is for the most part an identical parts copy of a proven ETA design is a robust and reliable movement. I'll leave the defense of our precious 7750s and 2892-A2 copies to the more knowlegeable. I, myself am a convert from a doubter of Chinese movement quality to a passionate believer.