When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tips for selling and buying...............

capice

Trading reps in most countries is illegal to import,buy,sell or even posses(Belgum and Italy I was told)maybe it's a good idea to start a topic on exchanging tips for more security with buying and selling our precious armware.

Please feel free to post your tips here

As I have done over 140 deals (buying and selling in the last few years) I only had 3 shipments that went sour( 1 damaged 2 in customs). I experienced that lately more buyers choose for regular mail instead of registered or with insurance.

I can well understand that because the cost of International Package Plus(IPP) here in the Netherlands are over a ridicullous 13 euro.

But then it is insured up to 500 euro....

Lat week I had send a shipment to Germany, normally arriving in 4-6days.

Being an impatient buyer...;) he send me an email yesterday that the package hadn't arrived yet and if I could check with postal services. Luckily the buyer chose for insurance so tracking showed that the shipment was in Germany, was damaged and would be returned home to sender.....Speaking to the postal employee, she said the investigation could take up to 3 months wow

Now waiting for it to return and see what the damage is, I hope we don't need the insurance.....

Don't know if it's the reorganisation with Dutch Post, letting 5000 people go, has anything to do with it but I heard some employees are not so motivated anymore to handle post with care.

When shipping with regular mail, I allways try to make a picture of the package with the poststamps on it so at least the buyer can see it has been posted correctly and email these.

Most stamps here are computergenerated so there is allways the date and time on the stamp. That's as much as you can do sending regular shipping.

Looking forward to more tips of you guys and hope this helps members dealing with more confidence

Personally I never ship uninsured if the value is over 100 euros. It's just not worth to take the risk. So I usually make prices incl. shipping and registered shipping is already calculated into the amount. This way there's no argueing with the buyer about the shipping costs...

I've also had about 50 deals I would guess - very few shipping problems. One just recently where a watch was damaged. But it was a cheapo (only 30 euros), so I decided to refund the buyer instead of fussing about with the insurance (he did pay extra for insurance).

I have shipped far too many watches than i'd care to count...and likewise have received "a few"... ;)

From USA/NY, I always use USPS - domestic 1st class w/ delivery confirmation and international first class...

International 1st class has little to no tracking - but i've been successful with it...and it seems to be the quickest posting method...

I also wrap the piece in bubblewrap so that it is approximately 2 1/2 inches thick...insert it in a bubblewrap envelope...i always tape the wrapped piece inside so that it doesn't move around during shipping...and then tape the end and addresses with clear tape...

R

Just like R , i also have mailed more than a dozen with a 100% success.I always send the watch as registered mail (letter type,not as package), here PO always issues a tracking number for this kind of service which of course i send to the buyer.

These kind of mails usually go under the customs radar since they are send as regular letters, hence they do not keep a close eye on them.

I have been shipping in EU and overseas (US mostly) for more than two years now and never had a problem. :drinks:

J

While I understand the value of a post like this, is airing our secrets publicly really such a good idea? Perhaps I need to remove my tin-foil hat, but lets not give anyone (LEA/Customs) monitoring our forums things to look for...

Just a thought.

While I understand the value of a post like this, is airing our secrets publicly really such a good idea? Perhaps I need to remove my tin-foil hat, but lets not give anyone (LEA/Customs) monitoring our forums things to look for...

Just a thought.

I agree compleely. There are lots of "lurkers" on this and every replica site. When folks post all this info, it just makes customs agents job easier.It would be very naive to think that our site is not being watched for information. While I don't think that Customs pays as much attention to single small package shipments, concentrating more on bulk shipments of watches, handbags, clothing,etc.I would bet that they are thrilled to intercept any package that contains "counterfeit" goods. As some of the older members can attest, once you have a package seized, your name and address are in the computer, at least with US customs. They may open every package addressed to you, or they may not, but why risk it. Much better to provide no information that can help your adversary, and try to fly way under the radar.