When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement review - Asian 7753 - the newest chrono

RWG Technical

Thanks Zig. Even though I won't (or really shouldn't) use a tool on a watch other than for the bracelet - i really enjoy reading these.

While I'm being noob, here's a question:

Do you think it possible they made the dateweheel so wide as to accommodate future reps with different printing allowing for different date window placement? i.e: they built it this way to fix a whole lot of SDW reps?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback, it reminds me why I take the time to do these type of posts. Much appreciated.

Answers to the questions:

Would love to get a lesson in working over a hairspring! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Too scared to touch one yet other then a little tweaking to stop it from rubbing the bridge. :drinks:

The lesson is to gather up some old movements, and some good tweezers, and start practicing. It one of those "learned" things, very unforgiving and very nerve wracking, especially on some old high end movements were no spares are available and the hairspring is made of blued steel... I pick up junked movements, and practice, if I screw up, in the trash they go...it does require a lot of time investment and hands on manipulation to get the "feel".

Does the new date transfer system make the changeover transfer mechanism any more or less reliable than the original A7750 196? Is the date pusher transfer system comparable to the ETA 7753 which isn't that reliable even on the ETA version. If you don't service it and then it busts is there a significant risk that the repair will be more difficult without the proper oiling, cleaning, etc having already been done. Should I simply be factoring in a service at the time I buy the watch or do I wait for it to die first?

PS I am hoping the whacky datewheel configuration has something to do with future 7753 based reps but who knows.

The date system is similar to the ETA one, with only one difference, the quickset wheel on the ETA doesn't have a detent spring, whereas the Asian one does have a detent spring - mind you the spring is extremely weak and probably contributes little to the actual functioning.

For the dateset, servicing or not is only a small part of the problem, given that the ETA 7753 when correctly serviced and oiled has jammed up datewheel issues, servicing seems to have little influence. I have never had any defects or broken parts in the datewheel system, the failure is always of it not working, just because of the design.

I don't think there is any risk of anything breaking from lack of initial servicing. Given that this is the "normal" condition of the A775X series, if the watch is a keeper, I would get it serviced at no later than 1 year after purchase, to make sure you don't wear anything out...

Do you think it possible they made the dateweheel so wide as to accommodate future reps with different printing allowing for different date window placement? i.e: they built it this way to fix a whole lot of SDW reps?

I can't imagine why they would do this, especially when the ETA is a known size and diameter. You could be onto something though, maybe they will use this movement in various models, and print the dates within that wide wheel to adjust to various dials...

Looks like a service is mandatory on these movements as this is the second one that looks like someone has swept the table crumbs into it.

It's the same for all Asian 775X movements, some are flooded with oil and grease everywhere, others are like this one, and others are worse, no consistancy or standard condition.

Is the regulator functional or is it just for show?

They are all just for show... Typically if you move the fine adjust, the whole thing falls apart...on this one, it's jammed and riveted solid and won't budge.

All the timing has to be done directly to the regulator arm, which is why it takes so long, hard to move the arm fractions of a mm.

man - i always enjoy reading your excellent review and analysis, R!...

Thanks for all you do... :good:

Question(s): it looks like this won't accept an eta7750 or a7750 datewheel either due to the size, right?...if you put a thinnnnnnn overlay of an eta7750 or a7750 datewheel on top of the a7753 datewheel, would this movement align properly in our 7750 cases?...is the distance from the dial size to the stem the same as the 7750?...thinking this could possibly be a cheap alternative to closing the sunken datewheel gap on 7750 pieces...

Answers to the questions:

The lesson is to gather up some old movements, and some good tweezers, and start practicing. It one of those "learned" things, very unforgiving and very nerve wracking, especially on some old high end movements were no spares are available and the hairspring is made of blued steel... I pick up junked movements, and practice, if I screw up, in the trash they go...it does require a lot of time investment and hands on manipulation to get the "feel".

Got the tweezers, so I am halfway there. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Glad I am not alone in thinking that touching these can play hell on your nerves. Thanks for the input Z. :drinks:

Splendid write up, a very informative read, thanks for taking the time :)

Interesting point hackR, it makes me wonder too. Given that the ETA disc is smaller than the A7753, would it be possible to flatten the Asian/ETA discs out a little and to then use them together, with the ETA disc functioning as an overlay, glued on top of the Asian disc?

Question(s): it looks like this won't accept an eta7750 or a7750 datewheel either due to the size, right?...

You are correct, the A7753 datewheel is unlike anything else out there.

if you put a thinnnnnnn overlay of an eta7750 or a7750 datewheel on top of the a7753 datewheel, would this movement align properly in our 7750 cases?...is the distance from the dial size to the stem the same as the 7750?

Yes the distances are the same, check out the original post I installed my ETA7753 into the new case, everything fit and lined up correctly, then I installed the A7753 and dial into my 196 case, again it all lines up

...thinking this could possibly be a cheap alternative to closing the sunken datewheel gap on 7750 pieces...

Here is the A7753 datewheel and the "gap" you have to work with...

40.jpg

41.jpg

Here is the ETA 7753 DW placed on top of the A7753 DW

43.jpg

And here is the excess thickness sticking up above the movement rim, you would have to remove 50-75% of the ETA7753 DW to use it as a overlay, or better yet, get an overlay similar to the Rollie ones printed on thin metal stock.

BUT, so far no one, and I mean no one, has been able to produce an aftermarket DW of acceptable quality, so I don't see anyone being able to make an acceptable overlay, unless it comes directly from the manufacturers.

42.jpg

As you can see, most of the ETA DW is sticking up above the movement rim, you need a gap to the bottom of the dial, so I am thinking that a thin metal overlay is the only fix.

I would estimate that your overlay can't exceed 0.10mm in thickness, any thicker, and your going to have problems.

Hopefully the pics show the detail you require.

Good god, how did I ever miss this??!! Here I am, sitting at work, I just glance over at my blackberry and what do I see - an email from none other than Mr. The Zigmeister himself notifying me directly about his article!

The Zigmeister, thank you for taking the time and putting this together, this is another venerable benchmark review for our community! :) And thank you so much for servicing the movement, it sorely needed it. I plan on holding on to this watch for a long time so looking at the way it comes from the factory doesn't inspire much confidence in its chronometer prowess. And for the record I'm not a germophobe but I don't much enjoy the thought of dust bunnies and hair clogging up my gears :lol:

My thoughts on these models are quite formed by now- it is obvious the factories wanted to lock in a proprietary design for the sake of generating more revenue. But kudos to them for making it affordable and cosmetically accurate to the point that after an (obligatory IMO) movement overhaul you're still way ahead of the game in comparison to the ETA7753 powered models. I have no doubt that this watch will provide many years of faithful service and enjoyment, literally, as I count on my chronograph when I cook; thanks to the effort of our best - The Zigmeister, I can't thank you enough for this opportunity!

excellent tear down!! just what I was waiting for... as for the reason they didn't do a 1:1 copy I'm sure has to do with $... they probably recycled as much as possible from the standard A7750... the biggest dissapointmwnt for me is that a Gen dial will not be possible because of the odd DW... I would wager that the DW is like that for future compatibility with other brands... Pam chronos wouldn't be able to flip the bill alone for a new movement being developed. I very highly doubt there will be future versions of this movement given the volume of sales it's already generated... it did what they wanted it to do which is fill the sunken date window and that's it...

thank you very much, this review is far more than only helpfull... thank you for taking some time to show all of us here what to expect from this new movement.

and i must also give my opinion why this new a7753 isn't the exact same copy of eta7753 - because of $, in case your movement stops or breaks or... you have to buy whole new movement or even watch, time will show us but i am afraid that we have here new-old problems like with all "ultimate" pams - want some part? buy the whole new watch.

non-possible eta7753 installation due to the missaligned DW again shows that this is done with intent of the maker - conclusion: switch to our new watches with new a7753 movements and forget about your eta7753 ones.

at the end, it is all about the money.