When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newman fresh off dial "vintagization" and new plexi

JohnCocktosten

I like it. nice and old looking. I bet some matt clearcoat would cover up that bleeding issue freddy mentioned.

Overall it looks like a winner to me. Do you know what methods he used?

Not really a fan of this watch

...until now!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

mg

EDIT: Excuse me if the question is silly, but has ANYONE EVER used the tachy scale? IMHO it seems even less useful than a compass bezel. Come to think, I hardly ever use the most common one, the elapsed time bezel, the only useful bezel is (IMO) the countdown one, but that's the rarest of all...anyone care to enlighten me on this? I know divers might use elapsed time, but...I guess what I´m asking is wether the bezel is purely a romantic thing or if we use it anymore... :pardon:

Excuse me if the question is silly, but has ANYONE EVER used the tachy scale? IMHO it seems even less useful than a compass bezel. Come to think, I hardly ever use the most common one, the elapsed time bezel, the only useful bezel is (IMO) the countdown one, but that's the rarest of all...anyone care to enlighten me on this? I know divers might use elapsed time, but...I guess what I´m asking is wether the bezel is purely a romantic thing or if we use it anymore... :pardon:

The tachymeter scale is calibrated for timing units (usually kilometers/miles per hour) requiring up to 1 minute to accomplish. That is, you can time events that complete within 1 revolution of the second hand. As for the Units Per Hour markings on the bezel, those indicate kilimeters/miles per hour, as measured over a distance of one kilometer/mile. The best I can do to describe this is to say that if you were driving along a highway in an automobile & you start the chronograph as you pass a mile marker, if you stop the chronograph immediately as you pass the next mile marker, the number indicated by the second hand on the bezel would be your average speed in miles per hour over that distance.

EDIT: Excuse me if the question is silly, but has ANYONE EVER used the tachy scale? IMHO it seems even less useful than a compass bezel. Come to think, I hardly ever use the most common one, the elapsed time bezel, the only useful bezel is (IMO) the countdown one, but that's the rarest of all...anyone care to enlighten me on this? I know divers might use elapsed time, but...I guess what I

Not really a fan of this watch

...until now!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

mg

EDIT: Excuse me if the question is silly, but has ANYONE EVER used the tachy scale? IMHO it seems even less useful than a compass bezel. Come to think, I hardly ever use the most common one, the elapsed time bezel, the only useful bezel is (IMO) the countdown one, but that's the rarest of all...anyone care to enlighten me on this? I know divers might use elapsed time, but...I guess what I´m asking is wether the bezel is purely a romantic thing or if we use it anymore... :pardon:

I mostly use mine to time cooking times for food :)

[Edit to add]

While the use of the tachymeter is indeed as Freddy described, they are only useful for timing/speed calculations between a known distance with known distance markers. Randomly starting the chrono while randomly cruising down the freeway (as opposed to track driving) may not produce accurate results :whistling:

The flat crystal looks very nice on your daytona fw, and it definitely makes the dial more visible. I'll admit though that daytona crystals are a matter of personal preference among aficionados. I did just the opposite. I took the flat 21 off my daytona and sold it, and replaced it with a nos dome.